Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  inventorbob 
#1 ·
Currently, GM is sitting on a 200-day supply of XLRs. So what does everyone think about that? What's the reason for such lack-luster sales? What's the solution?

#2 ·
Katshot said:
Currently, GM is sitting on a 200-day supply of XLRs. So what does everyone think about that? What's the reason for such lack-luster sales? What's the solution?
I think GM and many other auto manufacturers were a little over-zealous when they projected sales projections. With Cadillac in particular, the price point of the XLR is a little out of most people's price range given Cadillac's target market and still-rebounding reputation. What to do? Huge incentives. Interest rates are rising and dealer inventories are swollen...they must act soon. This article reiterates my point.

#3 ·
So let's look at the XLR's competition;

YTD Sales:

M-B SL Roadster - 1512 YTD
Lexus SC430 ---- 1004 YTD
XLR ------------- 514 YTD

There are no incentives on either the M-B or the Lexus but, there IS a 5.9% interest rate incentive on the XLR.

You want a REAL good deal? Check out a new Deville. Current incentive is $4000 cash. Pretty nice deal huh?

#5 ·
As a current XLR owner while this is a better auto than the last 2 seat Caddy, the Allante, the over all feel and quality still does not measure up to either of its rivals. GM still has a long way to go to get back much of its lost public support. Despite my nagging problems with this car I really love it as a daily driver but I fear that (as usual) when GM gets on the right track it will pull the plug.

#6 ·
5.9% isn't much of an incentive. I do know that interest rates are up a bit, but some say there is no real reason for further increases as low wages, sales downturns, etc.. are not indicative of any futher interest rate increases. If I could get a XLR-V with the type of incentives I got on the SRX I'd consider owning 2 Cadillacs.

#7 ·
GM has not been doing very well with 2 seaters lately. I'm not familiar with how the Vette has been doing, but I'm sure it's close to where it's always been.

My Bride has been driving her CTS for a year now. She called the other morning on her way to work and said she had 2 XLR's pass by her in heavy stop & go traffic. She was excited about seeing this vehicle as she didn't know they existed. She went from a 2 seater to her CTS and it looks like she was having a flash back moment.

While golfing the other day, one of my partners expressed a passing interest in the SRR. After a few words, it was obvious he didn't know what that vehicle was all about.

While looking up some information for him, I came across the post about the XLR having a 200 day inventory. I looked up the SSR and discovered it was up to 300 days. Many were 04's too.

Except for the Vette, GM just hasn't figured out the 2 seat market.

#8 ·
Firts, I believe that Cadillac should show advertising that is long than 5 seconds :bonkers: or ones where you can really look at the car:p ... the car is sexy, and needs to be shown and absored... it's amazing how many people don't know that this car exist:banghead: .

Secondly, fix the Dealerships:tisk: , get them to (1) learn there cars:nono: , and (2) treat the customer right:hitstick: .

#11 ·
one point i would like to make:

wasnt the sales target for the XLR 3,000 units per year? so if they made their target and truly limited production, would the 3000 sales number mentioned above be right wehre they wanted to be? they never intended to make 15000 XLRs a year. i am happy being the only XLR in teh parking garage next to the 5 SL500s.

#12 ·
jeffgtx,

Like you, I, too, thought the production target for the XLR was 3,000 per year. If they sold more than that last year - and are right on target for this year - it would seem to indicate to me that they've met expectations.

I'm tickled that my XLR is one of two that I've seen on the road here - and it never fails to get a look - and sometimes a lot more than that - whenever I drive it. The number of guys who give a "thumbs-up" and the gals who just wanna "chat" is amazing. Oh, if I had this kinda car when I was single and could have really used it.....:devil:

John

#13 ·
Katshot said:
Gee, is this another shining example of your positive input??

The XLR is right where Caddy projected it to be. I wouldn't worry, if it bothers you, go buy Ford's 2 seat upper luxury roadster, oh that's right, there isn't one!;)

#14 ·
Katshot said:
The point of the tread is why is there a 200 day supply!
If it was a hot selling car it would be a waiting list
Caddy needs stand alone dealership, in Canada it is folded into a Chevy or Pontic dealer.
514 ( sold in first 1/4)x 4 is only 2056 car

#15 ·
Randy_W said:
Gee, is this another shining example of your positive input??

The XLR is right where Caddy projected it to be. I wouldn't worry, if it bothers you, go buy Ford's 2 seat upper luxury roadster, oh that's right, there isn't one!;)
Dude, what is your problem?! :mad:
As Airbalancer said, the point was the inventory issue. Maybe you don't understand what high inventory levels mean but, that's no reason to be a D%@K to me! If I wanted to be anti-Cadillac, I would've said something like;
Cadillac sitting on a 200-day supply of XLR's, great car huh?
But I didn't. I was just interested in sparking a conversation about it and getting input from members about it. If anyone's being negative, it's you Randy. If you can't have an open-minded discussion about these topics, you should go elsewhere. I'm getting tired of people like you bitching and moaning everytime someone has anything even slightly negative to say about Cadillac or American OEMs in general. This isn't the UAW support website.

#16 ·
Katshot said:
I'm getting tired of people like you bitching and moaning everytime someone has anything even slightly negative to say about Cadillac or American OEMs in general. This isn't the UAW support website.
Katshot, It just seems that ANYTIME I see your avatar, I KNOW that a negative Cadillac/GM comment is coming. If your comments were even 50%/50% negative to positive, you'd seem a little more like an enthusist. But from my experience, you seem to ALWAYS be ripping on some our favorite cars!
I was grumbling the other night about one of your comments and my wife asked me what was wrong. I told her that "this Katshot guy never has a single good thing to say about these cars." She said, "Oh, he's just a troll." I thought about that for a second and said, "Can you really be a troll and have nearly 4000 posts?"
It does have me a little confused. What's your draw to the board. Do you even like the brand? Perhaps you only like older Caddies? Is it American cars in general that you have issues with? I AM NOT TRYING TO FLAME HERE! Seriously just wondering what's going on!

#18 ·
Crozier said:
Katshot, It just seems that ANYTIME I see your avatar, I KNOW that a negative Cadillac/GM comment is coming. If your comments were even 50%/50% negative to positive, you'd seem a little more like an enthusist. But from my experience, you seem to ALWAYS be ripping on some our favorite cars!
I was grumbling the other night about one of your comments and my wife asked me what was wrong. I told her that "this Katshot guy never has a single good thing to say about these cars." She said, "Oh, he's just a troll." I thought about that for a second and said, "Can you really be a troll and have nearly 4000 posts?"
It does have me a little confused. What's your draw to the board. Do you even like the brand? Perhaps you only like older Caddies? Is it American cars in general that you have issues with? I AM NOT TRYING TO FLAME HERE! Seriously just wondering what's going on!
That's a fair question. I've explained my rather "unique" position (with respect to Cadillac) here several times. Perhaps it's time again. I understand your confusion.
First of all, I'm NOT a Cadillac enthusiast. I've only owned one Cadillac in my life and probably will never own one again (notice I said "probably").
I have a wide professional automotive background and spent the vast majority of it (over 20 years) doing work directly with and on Cadillacs. My specialty is fleet vehicles.
I do respect Cadillac's history and wish others did too. It seems like most Cadillac owners today have no respect for the history of the marque and really don't care one way or another. Unfortunately, even some people within Cadillac fit into this mold as well.
My reason for being here is that I am intimately familiar with Cadillacs of the 80's and 90's, mainly the Fleetwoods, Broughams, and Devilles. I also have a good deal of behind the scenes experience with Cadillac as I did a lot of technical consulting with them over the years. This makes me a good resource for many Cadillac owners and I'd like to think that I help a good many of them whenever I can. The problem comes when people have an issue with my opinions not being tainted by Cadillac loyalties and enthusiasm.
Hope this helps you to understand my "take" on Cadillac.

#19 · (Edited)
Understood. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. I haven't had the chance to read your other posts regarding this.
I bet you'd have a thing or two to say about my 1980 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance coupe. It's got the Olds 350 Diesel. Just over 100,000 miles on it in near perfect condition.
This car is about as far from an XLR as they come. That is mostly a good thing, but in some ways a sad thing. In a way it was an XLR of its time. sort of.....
Anyway, I love my old car, and really look forward to purchasing a STS, STS-V, XLR, or XLR-V sometime soon. I think that the only car on the road that will more beautiful than an XLR will be and XLR-V. I think Cadillac has come a long way with performance, driving dynamics, reliablility, and looks. (at least compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's) But I AM missing some of those traditional Cadillac qualities of size, ride, and 'plush' interiors. I love them all, new or old.

#20 ·
Crozier said:
Understood. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. I haven't had the chance to read your other posts regarding this.
I bet you'd have a thing or two to say about my 1980 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance coupe. It's got the Olds 350 Desiel. Just over 100,000 miles on it in near perfect condition.
This car is about as far from an XLR as they come. That is mostly a good thing, but in some ways a sad thing. In a way it was an XLR of its time. sort of.....
Anyway, I love my old car, and really look forward to purchasing a STS, STS-V, XLR, or XLR-V sometime soon. I think that the only car on the road that will more beautiful than an XLR will be and XLR-V. I think Cadillac has come a long way with performance, driving dynamics, reliablility, and looks. (at least compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's) But I AM missing some of those traditional Cadillac qualities of size, ride, and 'plush' interiors. I love them all, new or old.
"...an XLR of it's time."?????????????
WOW, That was a provocative statement!
Actually, that was a nice car, just a damn shame you didn't have a 368 instead of the Diesel. I did a lot of Diesel to Gas conversions back in the day. The KEY to longevity on that diesel is to keep the soot out of the intake. I knew a guys years ago that did a modified intake on an Olds diesel and had great luck with it. He did a number of mods for other owners and they all had great luck after that. Unfortunately, by the time I met the guy, we had already removed all the diesels from our fleet so I couldn't do any testing on his design.

#21 ·
"an XLR of its time" meaning: 2 door, unique styling, and priced at the top of the Cadillac lineup. Nothing more.
I've never had too much trouble with the car. I've always got around 25-28 mpg on the highway. The transmission has been rebuilt once. I'm sure that it only failed due to the very hilly location of where I lived. The thing will probably do 0-60 in about 5.8 (minutes).
I'll ask my mechanic to check out intake for soot and keep up with it from now on. Thanks for the tip!

#22 ·
Crozier said:
"an XLR of its time" meaning: 2 door, unique styling, and priced at the top of the Cadillac lineup. Nothing more.
I've never had too much trouble with the car. I've always got around 25-28 mpg on the highway. The transmission has been rebuilt once. I'm sure that it only failed due to the very hilly location of where I lived. The thing will probably do 0-60 in about 5.8 (minutes).
I'll ask my mechanic to check out intake for soot and keep up with it from now on. Thanks for the tip!
No problem. If you're gonna go to a mechanic, re-route (or block-off) the EGR (the source of the soot), and advance the pump timing slightly too. Wait 'til you see how that changes the feel of the car. Many people never have the pump timing checked and it has everything to do with the way the car runs. I used to run a slight advance on a couple friends cars and they LOVED it. The engine actually CAN make some torque, you'd be surprised. Between re-routing the EGR and bumping pump timing, the car will feel MUCH more energetic.

#23 ·
Great! I'll probably block off the EGR myself. I don't recall ever having the pump timing set or adjusted. Is this done in a similar way to setting the timing on a gas engine? Speciality tools required or something that can be done just listening or getting the overall feel of the car.
I've often wondered what to do when this engine finally does go. Have any suggestions? I'm sure a gas conversion would be the simplest route, but this car sure is unique as a diesel. It is funny how many people approach me about it. It's also funny how many gas station attendants yell at me when I start to fill it with diesel. I've had some running out and actually grab the gas hose and turn it off. Even after I explain that it's diesel, then think i'm crazy and start to explain again that diesel will ruin a gas car!
Sorry to jack your thread on you...

#25 ·
Crozier said:
Great! I'll probably block off the EGR myself. I don't recall ever having the pump timing set or adjusted. Is this done in a similar way to setting the timing on a gas engine? Speciality tools required or something that can be done just listening or getting the overall feel of the car.
I've often wondered what to do when this engine finally does go. Have any suggestions? I'm sure a gas conversion would be the simplest route, but this car sure is unique as a diesel. It is funny how many people approach me about it. It's also funny how many gas station attendants yell at me when I start to fill it with diesel. I've had some running out and actually grab the gas hose and turn it off. Even after I explain that it's diesel, then think i'm crazy and start to explain again that diesel will ruin a gas car!
Sorry to jack your thread on you...
Yeah, there's a mag-probe type timing light that is the best way to do it but most diesel guys (myself included) usually just do it by eye. There's an alignment mark on the top of the pump mounting flange that corresponds to a mark on the manifold. They're "supposed" to be aligned but I bump it just a tad by eye. As I recall, it's usually about a 1/16" on the marks but that's why I told you to get your mechanic to do it. A couple degrees is all you can do as I recall. Get some input from a diesel mechanic. It would be the safest way. You can also do a Google search to gather info too.

#26 ·
65-70k should have been the Target price for the XLR to begin with. I think at this price point they would be selling very smoothly, but 80k is pushing it a bit for right NOW. Down the road that would have been acceptable, once the resurgence of Cadillac has been around for a while. But if this means the price of the XLR-V is going to be kissing the 90-95k stratusphere, they better keep those REAL limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.