XLR inventory among highest in the industry - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, XLR inventory among highest in the industry in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In Aug 04 I went to my Cadillac dealer looking to trade my 02 Escalade. I headed straight for the ...
    HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Re: XLR inventory among highest in the industry

In Aug 04 I went to my Cadillac dealer looking to trade my 02 Escalade. I headed straight for the black XLR, they had one other but it was silver.

They wanted north of 85k. The salesmen was arrogant and acted like I couldn't afford such a car and treated me as such when in fact I could have stroked a check for the car in full if I wanted.

First, without me even asking, he said they do not deal on the XLR or the CTSV because there was such a demand for them... HA! Second, I would not be able to test drive either car.

I said, "So let me get this straight.. you want me to pay over 10k more than the car is worth and not even be able to drive it first.?." I remember his arrogant shrug. I returned with.. "Let me think about it"... 1 second later I said "I'll pass".

The salesmen grinned and walk back to a group of other salesmen and seemed to be laughing. I hoped they would choke on that car... now it seems they are.

I decided to sell my Escalade and found a great deal on my 02 DTS from another dealer (it was the sales manager's personal car) and wait for the STS-V which wil be more practicle than the XLR for me.

If they try and pull the same shit with me on the STS-V, I will venture over to the European dealers and spend my 75k with them as much as I would hate to. But I will not be treated like a dumbass by GM . Period.

swimpool5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I sympathise with your experience but it is starting to appear that GM is being run by DA's. GM bonds are only slightly above junk bond ratings and sales are in the tank. Katie bar the door for that which will probably follow........

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    If they try and pull the same shit with me on the STS-V, I will venture over to the European dealers and spend my 75k with them as much as I would hate to. But I will not be treated like a dumbass by GM . Period.
    I'm a younger guy and usually get overlooked, ignored, and abused when I venture into a luxury brand dealership. The WORST always seem to be the Euro dealers.
    A couple of months ago I ventured into a BMW dealer and before even introducing himself, the salesman explained to me that 'car shoping is a serious matter, and that I had better not waist his time.'
    That really leaves in a bind. Of course you want to laugh at them, tell them where to shove it, turn around and walk out to find somebody who'll treat you like a human. But, then you're pretty much confirming in THEIR mind that you're not a serious buyer, and you were there to kick tires. My pride is gone either way.
    I've been treaded pretty well at Cadillac. It used to be worse when I was shoping the Escalde pretty hard a few years ago. But lately things seems to be better. I'm guessing that the CTS sales are bringing youger buys into the dealers so I'm not such an oddity.
    As a side note, I was treated like Gold at an Inifiniti dealer and test drove a G35 coupe a while back. The Lexus guys pretty much rolled their eyes at me until my father came in with me. Bastards.

kmhebert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Crozier
    A couple of months ago I ventured into a BMW dealer and before even introducing himself, the salesman explained to me that 'car shoping is a serious matter, and that I had better not waist his time.'
    That would really piss me off. What is wrong with people, to do that? I guess I'm glad I bought my Cadillac from an old lady, heh, come to think of it, she was pretty ornery herself. If I am ready to drop almost $100 g's on a car, and someone talked to me like that, I'd probably just drop them a few choice words and look somewhere else. Followed up with a letter to the corporate office, along with the name of the jerk salesman.

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Crozier
    Crozier,

I had the EXACT same experience with the Audi dealer near my apartment in Dallas. I was interested in the $82k A8 and the jerkoff salesman basically said I couldn't afford an A8. OK.....fast forward to a week ago.

I stopped by University Audi - in the XLR - and spoke with the Sales Manager. I basically told him that my $77k Cadillac is a direct result of his jackass salesman (who was standing about 12 feet away) assuming that I was going to "waste his time". So, Audi lost, Cadillac won and he and his dealership could take a long walk off a short pier.

It was SO satisfying!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

A two-seat luxury drop-top isnt supposed to be a hot seller. Its supposed to be fairly exclusive. It takes time to build momentum in this segment.

BANK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX RWD N*

My Cadillac salesman was the best. I remember two other luxury salespersons (salesjerks) who were less than cordial. Missed opportunities can be a funny thing, sometimes you may not know you missed them.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    A two-seat luxury drop-top isnt supposed to be a hot seller. Its supposed to be fairly exclusive. It takes time to build momentum in this segment.
    Correct, but it doesnt matter if its a Minivan-dujour or an XLR, you still dont produce more than the market can handle, and especially not 200 days worth. The "its not summer" argument does'nt fly here either because the XLR has already been through one full model year, including last summer.

harryctsv is offline Banned

[QUOTE=Katshot]"...an XLR of it's time."?????????????
    WOW, That was a provocative statement!
    Actually, that was a nice car, just a damn shame you didn't have a 368 instead of the Diesel. I did a lot of Diesel to Gas conversions back in the day. The KEY to longevity on that diesel is to keep the soot out of the intake. I knew a guys years ago that did a modified intake on an Olds diesel and had great luck with it. He did a number of mods for other owners and they all had great luck after that. Unfortunately, by the time I met the guy, we had already removed all the diesels from our fleet so I couldn't do any testing on his design.[/QUOTE
    Hi, Iīm german who drives an XLR and love this car!!!!
    For europe since may 04 they brought 200 export models over and they were sold in under a year.
    If Cadillac want to bring the sales numbers significant higher they should do one thing: bring a 3.6 V6 engine as a starter model for about $ 55 K with a fixed roof - this car would find many buyers.
    bring a fixed roof 4.6 northstar for about $ 65 K
    Here on german cars you get so many engines for one type of car and that`s the success.
    Like the SLīs there`s about 70% the 350 and that`s a V6 - about 27% 500`s
    and the last 3% goes to the 600 on selling numbers.

Harry from germany

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    If Cadillac want to bring the sales numbers significant higher they should do one thing: bring a 3.6 V6 engine as a starter model for about $ 55 K with a fixed roof - this car would find many buyers.
    Excellent idea. I hadnt thought about that but it would probably work. Here in the U.S. we dont get the SL320 anymore, but thats because the SLK took its place.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Excellent idea. I hadnt thought about that but it would probably work. Here in the U.S. we dont get the SL320 anymore, but thats because the SLK took its place.
    Hi there,
    SL 320 isn`t here no more available since 2002. The smallest engine is the SL 350 with a V6, similar to Cadillac 3.6 engine, even in horsepower.

But this is the money-maker for merc., as I said over 70% of the sales.

Thanks
    Harry

Yep, we dont get the 320 OR the 350 in the SL series. The 3.5 V6 is only available in the SLK. Our SL does not have a V6 option.

adam_mcd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars/db9

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/compa...ight_coupe.htm

(dont know if theyre actually making this one) http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...//www.ford.com

ill take these 2 ford upper luxury roadsters over a xlr

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by adam_mcd
    http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars/db9

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/compa...ight_coupe.htm

(dont know if theyre actually making this one) http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...//www.ford.com

ill take these 2 ford upper luxury roadsters over a xlr
    Price? About $100k, right?

kmhebert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Every day after work I drive past Orr Cadillac in Springfield, MA. They have been in business many many years. I check out the gorgeous black XLR in front of the building and wish I could afford it. Then I drive the rest of the way home, only a couple miles, in my 88 Brougham. The XLR is so sweet, at this rate though, I am looking at picking one up sometime in 2022. But it will still be a gorgeous car and I will still be psyched to buy it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.