Cadillac XLR Maintenance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Cadillac XLR Maintenance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Iam new to the Forums and just purchased a 2004 XLR the owner took goodcare of the car and ...
    RenownReign is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06XLR-V 1966 Coupe Deville

Cadillac XLR Maintenance

Hello Iam new to the Forums and just purchased a 2004 XLR the owner took goodcare of the car and provided me with all service records.I took in myself for some
    maintience and was quoted $3,000 for front brakes pads with rotors turned,two front struts,change tranny fluid,change power steering fluid.All parts are oem and all labor
    included after that car will be up to par is this too much?Also does anyone know the
    name of the color of my XLR and how many were made?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Re: Cadillac XLR Maintience

I wouldn't have the rotors turned, they're inexpensive enough to just replace.

Also - where are you taking this car? I'm not sure they know what they're talking about... The XLR doesn't have struts - it has a inverted leaf spring with shocks... additionally, they are mag-ride shocks which tend to be pretty expensive. Its unlikely you need them replaced unless they are leaking.

Thanks for the reply. They said the front two were leaking theres a clicking noise only when making a sharp turn or sharp u-turn thats why i took it inSo they said replace the shocks there not leaking heavy just a bit.Its a small shop with Cadillac technicians that i had taken my car previously to.

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

THere's a TSB regarding clicking on turns that says it could be the sway bar end-links... which are much less expensive than new shocks - its like $25 in parts.

Ok I will check it out thanks.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RenownReign View Post
    ... was quoted $3,000 for front brakes pads with rotors turned,two front struts,change tranny fluid,change power steering fluid.All parts are oem and all labor included after that car will be up to par is this too much?
    I tell prospective owners of the older model to expect to spend about this much/year to keep the car pristine. Brakes, pads and rotors are relatively inexpensive. As stated above the mag ride shocks are very expensive. Changing the tranny fluid is no simple task (although I'd be more concerned with the fluid in the rear differential).

Is it too much? If its being done by a "certified" XLR technician, probably not. A small shop with a Cadillac tech is not the same. Cadillac had specialized training for their certified XLR techs. And other than my tuner, I won't let anyone that's not go anywhere near my car.

Quote Originally Posted by RenownReign View Post
    Also does anyone know the name of the color of my XLR and how many were made?
    The official name of the color is Luxo Blue, more commonly known as Xenon Blue, option code 19U of which there were 371 in 2004. The paint code is located on the RPO tag that is located on the underside of the storage compartment lid (in the trunk, passenger side).
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

XLRated is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR 2005

GizmoQ, Are you saying the transmission does not share fluid with the differential? I get that when they are at opposite ends of the drive shaft (like my Mustang). Thought for sure with both of them being in the rear that they would be a single unit in a single fluid bath. What am I missing?

XLRated

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.