Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tire sealants

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kipsts 
#1 ·
I am looking for some advise on tire sealants. My 2008 XLR does not have run flat tires. I was wondering if anyone has used tire sealants, such as "Perma Seal Tire", or the tire compressor and sealant that is now coming in new Cadillacs. I am looking for pros and cons of both. I would appreciate any input. I haven't had a flat for years, but I prefer the peace of mind knowing I am not going to get stranded somewhere with a flat tire.
I spoke to the tech at my local dealership and he said that the sealant in the Cadillac kit may ruin the tire. Just wondering if anyone has used Perma Seal product and how it affects the TPM's.

#2 ·
Don't do it. You'll kiss your tire balance and (relatively) smooth ride goodbye. ANY good tire installer would not recommend installing sealers and goop........... and, man, does the stuff screw up the inside of the wheel and tire.

If you need peace of mind and a tire is THAT bad that it goes flat in the boondocks you could use one of the pressurized puncture sealers in order to limp home, but as your dealer said, you kiss the tire goodbye and incur a significant wheel cleaning fee.

#3 ·
:cool2:You might want to keep a Slime "Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System" in your car. I have no affiliation with them but they guarantee it is OK to use with TPMS. It is non explosive and can be washed out when the tire is repaired with water. I carry in all of my cars including my STSs and new XTS and have for years. It gives me confidence I can get back on the road (unless it is a sidewall blow out) if no tow truck is available in a reasonable period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.