Euro Nav Disk for 2004 XLR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Euro Nav Disk for 2004 XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All, I'm trying to help out a friend who has a 2004 XLR in Europe and needs a Euro ...
    Kenno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Euro Nav Disk for 2004 XLR

Hi All, I'm trying to help out a friend who has a 2004 XLR in Europe and needs a Euro Nav Disc if it will work. I've read many conflicting stories thus far on the web. One thread I found on this site said that the Nav Unit changed in 2008. I have been on the GM Nav Disc site and I have discovered that the only year they list a Euro Disc for is the 2009 XLR. For all other years from 2004 to 2008 they only list the North American Disc as available. So my questions are:
    1) Is there a hack that will allow the 2004 Nav Unit to read the 2009 EURO Disc successfully without causing problems with the radio, etc?
    2) If not is the only other solution to replace Nav Unit with the 2009 Unit? If so what is the price and model number of the Nav Unit?
    3) is there a difference between the Euro and the American Nav unit? He only uses FM radio.
    Thanks very much! What a beautiful car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: Euro Nav Disk for 2004 XLR

1) No hacks listed for Euro Nav conversions- 2004-205 Denso Infotainment units can be hacked, but it takes lots of time and patience to do so. No guarantee it would yield results anyway.

Your options are limited:

2) Buy the GM NAV disk and see if it works. That's cheaper than buying a new head unit. (Less risky than buying the head unit first.)

3) If it doesn't work, buy and have a dealer program the 2009 head unit. (Outrageously expensive for the antiquated technology you get, but totally compatible with the vehicle's low speed data bus.)

4) Install an aftermarket head unit. There will probably be some loss in functionality of the control switches on the steering wheel and possibly the HUD. (Good luck with this approach.)

5) If all he uses is the FM radio, why bother with the $200 nav disk and/or more expensive head unit anyway? Just use an aftermarket standalone NAV system. They can be had for less than the price of a nav disk, are easier to update and portable between vehicles. (The common sense approach.)

CCC

Thanks for the advice. I agree the stand alone GPS is the easy solution. It's simply a question of wanting to keep the cockpit clean if possible. I'm amazed they made it so complicated to upgrade. I've never run into a problem like this with my Garmin's

One further question: Will the 2009 USA Nav Unit for the XLR work for sure with the 2009 Euro Nav Disc without further modification? Does anyone know the part number for the 2009 Nav Unit and how much it costs?
    Thanks!

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

The 2006-2009 head units list for $3846.38. Discounted through gmpartsdirect, they're $2400. You can see why upgrading to a newer head unit is a case study in the laws of diminishing returns, --even at the discounted price. Export models may be different, so if that's what your friend wants, have him contact a European GM dealer for compatibility and let them take the risk ordering/installing something that may or may not work out.

As for disk compatibility, you need to contact GM. Your chances of finding an owner that has gone this route and posts online are marginal at best.

CCC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.