08 CTS to XLR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 08 CTS to XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been researching these cars lately and was really surprised that they are very possible to get for around 30k ...
    dugunz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

08 CTS to XLR

I've been researching these cars lately and was really surprised that they are very possible to get for around 30k which is actually in my price range, but I am a little cautious. This would be my 3rd Caddy (2 CTS's). Is there any kind of major services that need to be done to the XLR at milestone mileges? And from your experiances is this a realistic daily driver? I dont care much about trunk space, my job is 3 miles away, Dont need a back seat, and I also have a 4wd work truck for when it snows (New York). But I would like to drive this 99% of the time... And what are some common problems to look out for?

----------

I was also a little dissapointed to see that 0-60 times and 1/4mile time were almost identicle to my current 08 CTS. I would figure the XLR would be a rocket by the looks alone, and the 8cyl engine :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: 08 CTS to XLR

If you want speed in an XLR, go for a V model. While the base XLR is no slouch, looks, don't equate to speed (or anything else for that matter) --just looks. The common problems are well documented here; read away and get educated before you buy, otherwise you may regret your decision.

While $30k may be cheap by some standards, parts and labor may not be if you have an issue. That being said, Having owned a Gen 1 CTS-V and XLR, there's no comparison for comfort, amenities and style. I still think it knocks the socks off a second gen CTS too. The V (in any form) may be quicker, but how fast do you really need to go? Outside of a track, the speed limit on most freeways is still 1/2 of what these cars can do. A base XLR can accumulate tickets and higher insurance just as easily as your current CTS, I promise. If I had a nickel for every car that wanted to race me at a stoplight, I'd be filthy rich. I smile, and let them go.

Don't plan on being able to mod a base XLR, unless you want a better exhaust or intake. This is a luxury roadster, not a true sports car. The Northstar isn't high on any vendor's mod list --considering that many of the folks with a N* are in the 60 to grave demographic. The XLR is fun to drive, but its handling is lacking on the twisties. Top-down driving gives them a dual-personality.

Don't let the lower price lull you into a false sense of security. When you take it into a dealer (and that's the only way you're going to get decent service for the most part) it reverts to a $75k + vehicle, with all the requisite charges. If you want one and can afford it, go for it. Learn about the issues, download an owners manual, and begin shopping. The more you learn, the more you'll save and enjoy.

Good luck!

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.