2006 XLR Opinions and Aux Input?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2006 XLR Opinions and Aux Input? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been on the prowl for a Cadillac for a while but my wife vetoed the CTS, my first choice. ...
    pcm2a is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

2006 XLR Opinions and Aux Input?

I've been on the prowl for a Cadillac for a while but my wife vetoed the CTS, my first choice. My local dealer has a 2006 XLR with 40k miles that they will let go for $26.7k. Compared to other prices within 500 miles of me that seems amazing. I've taken a look at it but go back this evening with the wife for the "test drive".

I know it's a one owner with a clean carfax but I will also request that they run the vin through their system to see what all repairs have been done. Is there any other big "gotchas" that I should look for?

I did not see an AUX input on it and from skimming google that must not have been an option in 2006. What is everyone else doing for AUX input? I've had terrible experiences in the past with FM modulators. I guess the kind that plugs into the antenna cable is always an option.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Re: 2006 XLR Opinions and Aux Input?

PRAY IT HAS SOME WARRANTY LEFT ON IT. YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THE COMMENTS ON THE FORUM, THEY WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW. WE ALL LOVE OUR XLRS, BUT THEY CAN BE COSTLY REPAIRING ALL OF THE GADGETS ON THEM. THIS IS NOT JUST A XLR PROBLEM, ALL NEW CARS WITH ALL OF THE GADGETS ON THEM WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS IN TIME. THE PRICE SEEMS LOW FOR A GOOD 2006. THE MORE PROBLEMS THAT WILL BE LISTED ON THE DEALERS REPAIR REPORTS THE BETTER. THAT MEANS THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD ALL OF THE STANDARD PROBLEMS FIXED. IF IT SHOWS ALMOST NOTHING ON THE REPORT, IT MEANS THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER JUST DROVE IT AND DUMPED IT AFTER THE WARRANTY. NOW WHEN YOU DRIVE IT YOU WILL NOTICE THE PROBLEM AND WILL HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE IT REPAIRED. IT ALSO MATTERS IF YOU LIVE BY A GOOD CADILLAC DEALERSHIP WHO HAS A CERTIFIED XLR TECHNICIAN ON STAFF. IT DOES NOT SAY WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT IF YOU WERE IN MY AREA I WOULD GO AND SEE IT WITH YOU. THERE IS NO AUX. INPUT AND THE RADIO HAS POOR RECEPTION IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE AERIAL ON THE TRUNK. GOOD LUCK, YOU WILL LOVE THE ATTENTION YOU GET BY OWNING IT AND YOU WILL NOT GET IT WITH THE CTS. IT SEEMS TO BE EVERYONE'S DREAM CAR. BOB alarmu@gmail.com.

You are certainly passionate about it with the all caps! The XLR has 40k miles so you are probably right that the owner dumped it after the warranty was up. It has no warranty and I will not be purchasing one. I'm wasted money on those in the past to never have them cover anything.

The test drive went great and all of the gadgets seemed to work fine. I was more concerned with reliability of the vehicle running. If I have to dump $1k in it every two months in order for it to drive that would be a bummer. Luckily it just has a plain corvette engine in it. I noticed some clicking sound coming from the right front suspension and the dealer is going to repair that today and let me know what it is.

They did provide me the carfax and the service and repair information. The only thing that has been replaced besides breaks, fluid, filters belts, etc was the power steering pump. Not sure how one of those goes out in 40k miles. From your comments I take that to mean that at 40k miles it is on the "verge of falling apart". I would totally expect that to be the lifespan of a BMW or Mercedes (from personal experience) but not an american car.

I'm in the Nashville area and hope to be signing the paperwork tomorrow.

I'll follow up with a question I have seen unanswered in a few other places. There seems to be lots of problems in the first two years, 2004 and 2005 and less posts for newer models. Is the 2006 not plagued with the same problems or will it get there in time? For example it's good to go at 40k miles but at 43 its done for.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Unless someone placed a new engine in it, your XLR has a 4.6 Northstar V8. The majority of the bugs were gone by '06. In that year, Adaptive Headlights were introduced, along with the more powerful "V" version, which has a supercharged Northstar and about 130 more ponies.

CC

Yeah it has the Northstar V8, I don't know why I thought that was the same as the Vette engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.