driving in snow
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, driving in snow in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking at a 2004 XLR and when I went to the owners manual that is online it states ...
    prairieschooner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

driving in snow

I am looking at a 2004 XLR and when I went to the owners manual that is online it states not to use chains.
    Has anyone been able to put cables on without trouble?
    thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: driving in snow

How many Corvettes have you ever seen driving on icy/snowy roads with chains? Due to it's very low ground clearance, the XLR is definately not recomended for use in the snow. I've read some very negative posts from owners that have tried it with predictably ugly results. Hence the advice NOT to use chains in the owner's manual.

If you've ever driven an XLR, one of the first things you notice is how low they sit (meaning your visibility is a lot more restricted) and invisible you are to other drivers -especially if you're in their blind spots. Even with that in mind as I drive, I dodge cars frequently to avoid being side-swiped by lane changers. In inclement (rainy) weather, you really have to be on guard.

If conditions warrant chains, it's safer for the car (and you) to keep it parked in the garage. Most owners in the higher latitudes, where snow is prevalent from Oct-May, slap a Battery Tender on their XLRs and wait until the climate is more agreeable. If you're thinking of buying an XLR as a daily driver and you live in an area like that, you might want to reconsider.

CC

I live in an area in Southern California that may have snow at anytime and I just thought that I would ask. No reason to drive one if it will not meet my needs.
    I'll just look at other cars, by the way this is no corvette. I have other collector cars and these are interesting but I still need to be able to get home.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Probably a good decision. You're right, the XLR is no Corvette, but it shares the same chassis and much of the suspension system, hence my reference to the Corvette in relation to ground clearance.

CC

MarcV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 XLR, '94 DTS

I drove our 2007 XLR the first winter with only one incident. In a fresh 8" snowfall, the vehicle simply hung up right in our cul-de-sac as I backed out. I had to tug it with another car (always carry a tow strap).

Otherwise I was amazed at the handling on icy and snowy roads as I drove between northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, a regular 30 mile commute. Traction control and yaw control are excellent and after a scary experience with my Nissan Z, I would never have thought a light overpowered rear drive automobile could be so usable in midwest winter driving.

Again, the only stopper was deep unplowed snow. Otherwise it handles well on paved roads.

Thanks MarcV. It is good to get usable advice form one that has to experience the white stuff!

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Even with Blizzaks, my V was all over the road last year when I was forced to drive it home from Indy. My situation was different from MarkV: Temps had been dropping all day, rain started, an hour later - changed to snow. I've driven in much worse in other cars, this was extremely dangerous. Thank God I was only 30 miles from home when the snow started; any further and I would have pulled over and called AAA for a flatbed. In hindsight, I should have called AAA as soon as I was within 100 mi of home anyway!
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.