2016 Cadillac XLR - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2016 Cadillac XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; IMO, the XLR should ride in the OMEGA platform..and it should direct competion with the Benz CL..4 door, suicide door ...
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

Re: 2016 Cadillac XLR

IMO, the XLR should ride in the OMEGA platform..and it should direct competion with the Benz CL..4 door, suicide door like ciel should be the best and Hardtop..it will be unique car..

The Corvette ZR1 already in the supercar range..it isn't cheaper than the Audi R8...
    if they got Auto it will sell very fast..same as every Supercar...

if cadillac want to buid the car which is the same as SLS..they should buid a Mid engine car..or never build it..
    we don't need to see the Cadillac in C7 platform..it ruin the brand..

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    IMO, the XLR should ride in the OMEGA platform..and it should direct competion with the Benz CL..4 door, suicide door like ciel should be the best and Hardtop..it will be unique car..
    That's what Ciel is.

Why would a Cadillac version C7 ruin Cadillac? If things are right, price is right, car is great, people will buy it.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    That's what Ciel is.

Why would a Cadillac version C7 ruin Cadillac? If things are right, price is right, car is great, people will buy it.
    because it is not unique..why u pay money for a rebadge model.
    looks at the XLR in the street now...why it fail because it is C6 based..nothing is fancy in this car..people forget about it...even the used XLR is cheaper than the used Corvette...

The Cadillac idea was well know for Super Luxury + Smooth...That why in the film ( i don't remember exactly the name of the movies) the Driver said : It is not a Mercedes, it is an American Rolls Royce.

so..really if for the new generation of Cadillac, if they want buid a XLR become a true supercar..Build it like the CIEN in 2003..MID ENGINE..and..it will sell well and hold the Value and become legendary same as the FORD GT..

studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    The next XLR won't ruin the brand and it's not suppose to be a super car ! From what I read recently it will be based on the C7 and use a next generation LSA from the next CTS-V but with a little more horsepower than the next generation CTS-V will have . I have also heard that the next generation LSA will be 20% more fuel efficient than the current engine . Early reports rate the next generation LSA at around 596 horses so the next XLR should have plenty of power . I have also heard rumors that the non V version will have over 450 horses and that a base model with a twin turbo and 496 horses might be offered . I also have heard that it will have a retractable hardtop and that it will start at around $90,000 for the base model . It is going to be Cadillac's new halo sports car not their new super car . The XLR was not a super car and the new one will also not be one . It won't ruin the brand that would be like saying that the ZL1 ruined Chevy .

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

As GM's "halo car", the XLR was a high-priced, low volume production, technology demonstrator. XLR was created to be GM's flagship. showcasing the emerging renaissance of Cadillac's "Art and Science" theme with it's clean sheet design, luxurious appointments, and seamless integration of new technology created to not overwhelm the driver with complexity. To that end -along with the first generation CTS, it was a resounding success. Cadillac was on the ropes at the millenium. Cadillac was considered a "Sixties to grave" brand with little in the way of innovation and styling to attract a demographic long since lured to European and Asian luxury vehicle brands. And rightly so. XLR was a rolling advertisement for the new direction Cadillac was heading. The present sales success of the brand are indebted to the vision and foresight of the designers and engineers that saved Cadillac from falling into the abyss along with Pontiac, Saturn, and Oldsmobile. This forum might have been a tombstone of the brand's legacy otherwise.

XLR utilized the C6 performance architecture a year before the C6. It was never meant to compete with the Corvette in its well-established market. Hands-down, the Corvette provides the best bang for the buck in the sports car segment. XLR is a luxury roadster, not a true sports car. It competed with similar cars in a small segment of the automobile market: The Lexus SC 430, The Mercedes SL, and the Jaguar XKR.

Automobile makers don't profit by low volume sales. The overly high price of the XLR limited it to a very small segmment of buyers who were more interested in exclusivity than value for the money. It's a nice car, but it wasn't $75-100,00 worth of nice --especially compared to what else was available in that price range. This isn't just my opinion, the market proved that. Any future considerations by GM to produce what is being called a second generation XLR will be based on the profitablilty of the vehicle in a post-recession economy. Could they build it? Sure! But is it worth it to do so? That's debateable. The decision isn't official, the economy is still enemic, and the rumormongering continues unabated.

The XLR didn't set the world on fire from a sales standpoint, with around 15,000 sold over a six-year production run. Re-badging a cancelled platform in a few years doesn't make a lot of marketing sense. Maybe that's one reason it wasn't called the Allante 2. A fresh start will probably have a new, three-letter acronym. XXX works for me. The Ciel is an interesting concept, but if it's priced around $100k, it won't sell much more than Cadillac's image.

Fantasize all you want, but the XLR is dead. Whatever may come next will be just as stunning as the XLR was when it debuted in 1999 as the EVOQ.

RIP XLR: 2004-2009

CC

sunsalem is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V BR Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    It's a nice car, but it wasn't $75-100,00 worth of nice --especially compared to what else was available in that price range. This isn't just my opinion, the market proved that.
    Exactly right.
    I have an XLR and have been interested in selling it.
    Unfortunately, a very good condition low-mileage car can be had for under 30K.
    And I find it difficult to part with my 12,000 mile XLR for less than half of what I paid.

Fantasize all you want, but the XLR is dead.
    RIP XLR: 2004-2009
    Agreed.

sfbreh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Plat., 2007/2008 DTSs, 2007 Escalade, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    What's it going to look like? Think Cadillac Cien...

That is all... For now...

edit: Either C7 platform or Omega...
    There is some consideration of placing the next XLR on the Omega platform - which will spawn two sedans and a coupe.
    It'll be a C7 based roadster competing with the Audi R8, Mercedes SLS, and Ferrari California...
    If this is all true, I will cry. So. Happy. The only problem I have is with the Cien. I hope it doesn't look anything like it. Not true. I hope it does, just not like it came out in the last decade. I'm hoping for a Cien/Aera mix if this is true. They're kinda similar, and it's where they should be going...

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I don't see another car on the C7 platform happening, not until after 2017 if at all. GM isn't sharing Corvette anymore after the disaster that was the last XLR (and make no mistake, it was a disaster).

Now you might get an XLR Roadster off the Alpha platform, there are rumors going around that GM wants to put a roadster on that platform. This would also make up for the loss of the ATS Convertible.

Omega will never see a coupe. GM hates coupes, seriously they do. No Malibu coupe, no Cruze coupe, nothing! Expect a Short and Long Wheelbase Sedan. The Long Wheelbase might only be sold in China (like the SLS was).

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    The STS-L I can understand. But why would GM keep the XTS-L out of the U.S.? They might as well just demand to stay out of the limo business. I'm pretty confident an XTS-L will be available here.

An Alpha based XLR / XLR-V replacement would be perfectly fine with the right drivetrains.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

The STS-L I can understand. But why would GM keep the XTS-L out of the U.S.? They might as well just demand to stay out of the limo business. I'm pretty confident an XTS-L will be available here.

An Alpha based XLR / XLR-V replacement would be perfectly fine with the right drivetrains.
    I seriously doubt the Omega models will just be a short and long wheel base model. They'll probably be two totally different models. I firmly suspect the long wheel base will have features that are specific to it that will not be offered on a short wheel base model. I'm talking about chassis features, not just electronics. The two cars are going to be different.

studio caddi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4.6 Northstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac
    My best friend works for a limo company and the XTS-L is going to be available in the US . Cadillac already put out a press statement promoting the XTS-L and saying that it would be available in the US soon .

Quote Originally Posted by studio caddi View Post
    My best friend works for a limo company and the XTS-L is going to be available in the US . Cadillac already put out a press statement promoting the XTS-L and saying that it would be available in the US soon .
    That's good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    GM hates coupes, seriously they do. No Malibu coupe, no Cruze coupe, nothing!
    Why does GM hate coupes? What if GM one day decided to hate sedans?
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Why does GM hate coupes? What if GM one day decided to hate sedans?
    They don't think coupes make money. That most coupe buyers will buy a sedan if the price is right.

Look at the industry in general, the mid-sized coupe is all but gone (I think Honda and Kia are the only two to offer mid-size coupes), a few more offer them at the compact level but still it's only 3 or 4 brands. Remember when EVERY compact came in sedan and coupe form. Hell we don't even get 3-door hatchbacks most of the time!

The Regal for example in Europe (as the Insignia) is sold as a Sedan, Hatchback (Trunk is a Hatch), and Wagon. Here Sedan only. The Astra, is a 3-Door (GTC), 5-Door, and Wagon. Here we get the Verano, a Sedan. Cruze is sold in most international markets as a Sedan and a 5-Door. We don't get the 5-Door. I could go on, but you get the point. The US market is almost entirely Sedans. With the exception of Convertibles and Sport Coupes. Blame the SUV craze and people being used to having 4 doors.

I personally LOVE coupes.

I was never a HUGE fan of Coupe DeVilles but I've always loved Eldorados - and every time I see a CTS Coupe - especially the CTS-V - it has me rethinking what I want for my next automobile. If I could choose today, it would be either a CTS Coupe or CTS-V Coupe. If the TT 3.0 liter V6 was available in the non-V CTS Coupe now, I'd probably take a huge hit and trade in my current vehicle to get one...

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe

They don't think coupes make money. That most coupe buyers will buy a sedan if the price is right.

Look at the industry in general, the mid-sized coupe is all but gone (I think Honda and Kia are the only two to offer mid-size coupes), a few more offer them at the compact level but still it's only 3 or 4 brands. Remember when EVERY compact came in sedan and coupe form. Hell we don't even get 3-door hatchbacks most of the time!

The Regal for example in Europe (as the Insignia) is sold as a Sedan, Hatchback (Trunk is a Hatch), and Wagon. Here Sedan only. The Astra, is a 3-Door (GTC), 5-Door, and Wagon. Here we get the Verano, a Sedan. Cruze is sold in most international markets as a Sedan and a 5-Door. We don't get the 5-Door. I could go on, but you get the point. The US market is almost entirely Sedans. With the exception of Convertibles and Sport Coupes. Blame the SUV craze and people being used to having 4 doors.

Saw this post and I had to add my two cents. I refuse to give in and buy a four door (granted I don't have kids so that helps). I had a Buick Grand National for many years, then I got a Grand Prix coupe (which was practically a special order), then a Mazda RX-8 (Ok technically a 4-door but not really). Now, I just traded in my 2011 Altima coupe for a 2012 CTS coupe and I love it. The coupe isn't dead yet and I find it interesting that many manufacturers are selling them in the US. Nissan has sold quite a few Altima coupes since they introduced it in 2008, not to mention the Infiniti G37, Mercedes just starting selling a C-class coupe after 10 years with no coupe in the US market, and Cadillac is doing good with its CTS coupe. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I'm doing my best to keep the coupe alive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.