$1300 Cup Holder Lid?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, $1300 Cup Holder Lid? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yep, that's what my dealer quoted me for replacing the lid on the console (2006 XLR). It opens fine but ...
    Dave Anderson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Luxury/Sport

Question $1300 Cup Holder Lid?

Yep, that's what my dealer quoted me for replacing the lid on the console (2006 XLR). It opens fine but will not close without pulling it up manually - I assume part of the hinge is broken. I can't be the first one this has happened to, so assuming I can get the part for something reasonable, does anyone out there know how to remove the console to get at and replace it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: $1300 Cup Holder Lid?

welcome back to the forum

I see you and I joined the same month...

PM me your VIN and i'll see what I can do for you tomorrow.
    It will probably still be pretty expensive, but I might be able to knock off about $400 from that price (or more)
    Many of these woodgrain cupholder+ashtray/compartments are only sold as a full assembly the Escalade one isn't this expensive though
    (it's a lot more expensive than the expensive ones on the escalades because there is very little demand for these xlr assemblies in comparison)

[edit: you've only got three posts ... either get up to ten posts so you can PM or email me your VIN]
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

wow 1300 or even 900 is alot for a console lid. is it possible you can remove the lid/hinge assembly and repair the break? i cant imagine that costing much

low production numbers don't work in your favor here... (supply/demand)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Yeah, that's what my Cadillac dealer quoted me, parts and installation; and of course you can't buy just the lid, it's the whole assembly, eucalyptus wood and all. Chris (RippyPartsDept) was kind enough to not only get me a better price for the part ($775) but also sent me an exploded view and R&R instructions, so thanks to him I can try to get in there and see if I can repair it.

The thing that really burns my butt is I just got the car, and I did notice that lid not working when I picked it up but I thought I had made a pretty good deal on it so I let it go - WRONG!!!!

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

The center console trim plate is really easy to remove. The only hard part is paying for it.

1. Pull the silver trim ring down at the base of the shift knob.
    2. Remove the newly-exposed fastener (This is a torx T-15.)
    3. Lift the shift knob straight up.
    4. Open the cupholder door.
    5. The trim plate is held on at each corner by clips. Pry the rear of the plate up first. I use plastic trim removal tools to prevent damaging the finish.
    6. Pull the trim plate front end up.
    7. Disconnect the electrical connector.
    8. Fondle your removed trim plate.

Reverse the removal procedure to install (minus the fondling.)

If you have to disassemble the guts (not sure if you're getting a whole trim plate assembly or just the parts you need) you'll have to remove 6 Phillips screws. 2 on the right side of the shift bezel, 2 on the left side of the bezel and 2 shorter screws on the ends.

CC

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, CC; I'm pretty confident I can get that hinge working somehow, once I get to it without damaging anything else. This will be a big help!

Dave

You're welcome Dave!

You're discovering something I've repeated in posts aimed at prospective or new XLR owners: Just because used XLRs cost less now, it doesn't mean they're cheap to own, and that's an important factor to consider if you're on a budget. Simple repairs can be outrageously expensive and parts aren't always available. An XLR with lots of unrepaired problems isn't much fun to drive --especially if the top is inoperative.

Here's a way to save some serious money though. If you can't do it yourself, pay your dealer troubleshoot the problem. Get a parts list from their repair estimate (as well as part numbers) and go online.

gmpartsdirect.com and gmpartsgiant.com are two sources for OEM parts (One site belongs to a dealership that makes a fortune from their online sales.)

compnine.com has lots of exploded diagrams. Wade through their hard-to-understand upper drawing levels and navigate to the drawing you want. Click on it and a parts list with part numbers and prices appear. Despite it's less-than-stellar navigation, the site has a wealth of info.

Do be aware that in isolated cases, some online parts house's shipping is out to lunch, so ensure you look at all the charges. Your '06 assembly listed for MSRP for $1078.38 and sells for $639, without shipping. Not cheap, but 40% off. The same 04-04 part is $535 (might be the wood difference.) (gmpartsdirect)

Buy the part yourself and have the dealer install it if you can't. I saved a thousand buck on one repair alone. Sometimes the dealer will match the gmpartsdirect price (it's basically what they pay for the same part, only they can usually get it shipped to their place faster.) I have about a dozen sources to compare parts prices and if my dealer won't meet or beat them, I buy the parts myself. It pays to ship around.

Rippy has some good prices too, so there's another source.

CC

You're certainly right about the prices, CC. I've had other "expensive to own" cars (Porsches, Mercedes, etc.), but this still floored me. I really like this car but it's got to be "right" or it's going to be annoying to drive - thanks so much for your advice on everything.

Dave

Just a followup - I finally got around to digging in to the console and was able to repair the broken hinge with a screw/washer/pin arrangement that I came up with. Only took about an hour but I would have never been able to figure out how to get in there without the help I got from CC Clark and Chris Heath - thanks a million (or at least $1320), guys!

Glad to be of service! Good luck!

CC

glad to help

mikel912 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante

Every time I get bored with my Allante and think about buying an XLR, I read the forum. Then I go out and wax my Allante, fill her up with premium, put the top down MANUALLY in about 15 seconds, put in my favorite CD, and go for a nice drive. 6 years ownership, about $2000 in repairs, runs like a top.

Purple87SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V, 1987 Turbo Buick WE4

Wow $1300 for a console lid repair. XLR look good but sound very pricey to maintain.

Hi - I'm the guy that started this thread. Just wanted to fill in some detail; first, the $1300 was not just for the cupholder lid - they told me it was that whole section of the console, they couldn't sell me just the lid because of the need to match the wood grain (but is it real wood? - sure feels like plastic to me). Second, I've learned long ago with toy cars to go right to the club for advice, and this club is one of the best! In my case RippyPartsDept and CCClarke came right back with the info I needed to get into the console without damaging it, and once I could see the problem it was a relatively easy fix. As I said earlier I managed to "build" a replacement hinge but I'm sure I would have been able to get one from salvage or, who knows, maybe GMPartsDirect has something less than the whole console available.

I've had the car about 7 months now; it was older and higher mileage (2006 with 26,000 miles) than I usually buy, but I jumped on it because I got it from Alice Cooper (yeah, THE Alice Cooper). It was his personal car and I got him to autograph the visor. It was a little scary at first, some electrical issues (as in completely dead after sitting every three days) but I've got it sorted out now and love the car - in fact I'm getting ready to have some custom paint done on it.

Bottom line, don't be afraid of toy cars. Just be smart, try to buy 'em when that depreciation curve goes almost flat (which it does with most high-end cars), but still young enough to be uber-cool and not have age-related problems, AND look for something unusual. I've been doing exactly that for over 40 years; my first car, back when all my friends were looking for hot rods, was a 1961 Cadillac convertible; I found one of 600 that was built with leather buckets and a console (yes, factory buckets and console in a Cadillac in 1961). It was four years old when I got it, and I would kill to have it back - of course it started to show rust after another couple of years, but I sold it for almost exactly what I had paid for it because it was so attractive and unusual.

OK, have to tell you about my most recent Cadillac adventure. Long story, but I found a virtually new 2006 CTS languishing at a Caddie dealer in Ohio that had been custom built for Sir Paul McCartney. He had donated it to a charity who consigned it to the Barrett-Jackson auto auction, and they sold it to someone for $102,500 (don't believe me? Here's a link to the auction video; it's a blast to watch for any Caddie enthusiast):

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47594/barr...on?c=1570:1926

(Sorry, can't seem to paste a link into this forum - just copy and paste into your browser.)

I negotiated for months with the dealer who ended up with it, bought the car, drove it for four years, and then sold it last May to the Hollywood Star Cars Museum in Gatlinburg TN, for significantly more than I paid for it. Check it out; it's still on the front page of their web site, right next to the Batmobile!

http://www.starcarstn.com/ (Be sure to hit the "MORE INFO" button under the photo of the car.)

I love this hobby. I can't afford a house that will blow everybody away but I'm usually driving a car that makes 'em wonder who the hell I am, and like I said if you're smart about it it won't cost you much if anything more than a "normal" car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.