2004 XLR Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2004 XLR Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All, New member... Family member has a 2004 XLR. Had the usual dead battery issues but it always ran ...
    MrO
    MrO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR Issues

Hi All,

New member... Family member has a 2004 XLR. Had the usual dead battery issues but it always ran good... Now this problem has popped up:
    () Rain water in trunk pocket where wiring harness connector is. Connector was completely submersed for a few weeks due to a kink in the pocket's drain hose. Convertible top stopped functioning.
    () Drove car to dealer to diagnose. They just wanted to start replacing things until it started to work. Decided not to have them do the repair. When the car was picked up it had a serious lack of acceleration (that the dealer said they had nothing to do with) Now the car starts and idles rough, but pressing the gas pedal has no effect on idle speed. It's like the pedal isn't connected to the throttle linkage.

This all started with the soaked trunk connector... Any suggestions on where to start looking? I'm going to do a serious cleaning of the connector this weekend. I just need some "food for thought" before I start to troubleshoot. Ordinarily I would just take it into the dealer and have them run a diagnostic with the Tech 2 unit, but... it's undriveable now due to the throttle issue, and I really don't want to pay to have it towed to and from the shop... The suspension service warning message is also appearing on the dash display.

Thanx in advance,

Mark (SF Bay Area)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: 2004 XLR Issues

Mark,

Your problem with a blocked drain line is fairly common and well documented. Not only is the Folding Top Control module located in that compartment, but the Suspension Control Module sits right next to it (along with the Folding Top Hydraulic Pump.) There is power in that compartment when the car is off, and as you already are painfully aware, water and electricity don't mix. Chances are good that both modules are fried. The pump may be dead too --this is the really, really expensive part to replace. (Around $2k for the pump and a lot of labor.)

Do NOT take your XLR to any dealer that doesn't have an XLR certified tech. (Not all dealers have them.) A certified tech has completed specialized training for the care and feeding of the XLR. Plugging and chugging parts until a problem goes away is unprofessional and expensive. A Tech 2 will isolate the problematic assemblies in less time than it takes for me to write this post.

Clear the drain yourself (also visible from underneath the car) and get the car to the right dealership. This will not be a cheap repair, and is entirely avoidable by periodically inspecting the drain line. Once the dealer restores the ignition issue, have them tell you which modules/assemblies are bad, (get part numbers if possible) drive the car home and order the parts from gmpartsdirect.com for about 40% off, and let the dealer install them. Discuss this with the Service Manager first (not the Service Writer.) The parts are new OEM, but the dealer will probably only warranty the labor, which will still save you a bundle.

For the rest of you XLR owners following along, if you haven't already, I highly encourage you to inspect your drain lines ASAP. The alternative is a repair bill that can run several thousand bucks. Leaky decklid seals are also part of the problem.

CC

MrO

Hi CC,

Thx for the advice. It's purring like a kitten now with normal throttle response at idle... Get comfortable, this is a long one... Here's what I did based on some suggestions from the fine folks on the Caldillac cadillacowners forum:

() Started the car to wake up the evil spirits. Yup, died the first two tries, and then I was able to tap the accelerator pedal on the third try to keep it idling. Once idling it ran like crap and still had no throttle response. When I pushed the accelerator pedal it hesitated a bit but maintained it's 1000 rpm idle. Turned it off...
    () I took Bruce's advice (other forum) and popped the hood, disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, and to be sure of a total circuit reset I held the loose + and - battery cables together for 15 seconds or so... I then reattached the battery cables to the battery, and tried to start the car.

Same symptoms... Rough 1000 rpm idle and no throttle response.
    () Keeping the engine running, I then tried Dave's (other forum) suggestion and cycled the shift from Park to Drive a few times. The idle was really rough now, pulsing a few hundred rpm and rocking the car, but it seemed to level out when I had the car (with the brake on) in Reverse or Drive. More cycling then it was rough no matter what position the shift was in. So... I put it back in park and noticed some response on the throttle. I could bring it from 1000 to 2000rpm in park. Not much control in between, pretty jumpy. More shifting and throttle pumping and the evil spirits slowly went away... Then... Purred like a kitten at about 700rpm.. And smooth throttle response thru the rpm range

Now the car was warmed up to operating temperature, idling SMOOTH and I was feeling pretty good about myself... I shut the car off. Restarted it and it died. Started it again and kept it running with light gas pedal action. Returned to a smooth idle..

We'll see how it does tomorrow when it's a cold start. Next step: A few test drives around the 'hood, and then locate and drive it to the shop and have a certified technician (I'll definitely ask) get and error codes on the Tech 2 unit as the check engine light remains on. Should get some interesting codes from that.

Anyway, thanx for the retractable top tips I'll keep y'all posted on the diagnostic results... After I'm sure it's running right again, I'll tackle the issue of the retractable top plugs in the trunk. (Well, I'll at least clean up the connectors)

Cheers,

Mark (The chilly SF Bay Area)

Sounds like you're well on you're way Mark.

Speaking of Certified XLR techs, I've had a nagging minor issue that I have been putting off taking the car into a dealership until something bigger came along. Something did. My car started filling the garage with overpowering gas fumes this past week. That qualifies as BIG in my world, since my wife insisted I park it outside where it wouldn't asphixiate her in her sleep or blow our house up. (This logic was tough to argue with.)

Being relatively new to Sacramento, I called the nearest Cadillac dealership with a conversation that went something like this:

"This is Service."
    "Hi, I need to find out if you have a Certified XLR technician."
    "All of our technicians are certified."
    "Yeah, I would hope so, but do you have an XLR-certified tech?"
    "All of our technicians are certified."
    ". . . How many techs do you have?"
    "About a dozen. We work on lots of XLRs here"
    "Of that I have no doubt. And all of them are certified to work on the XLR with specific training, testing and certification?"
    "No."
    "How many of them are certified?"
    "I don't know."
    "So you don't really know if you have a certified tech or not?"
    "That's correct."
    (Short pause. . . ) "Can I speak to the Service Manager please?

The Service Manager was much more helpful and assured me they had a certified tech. After that, I drove down, met all the folks I need to know, and left them with my car. So even though it's a little more work, it's worth it to find the right dealer. Your wallet will thank you.

CC

MrO

Hey CC,

Entertaining narrative... Thx for sharing... I'm still cleaning up the electrical connections in the trunk. They were a MESS... The Suspension module and Retract. Top module were toast (irrepairable circuit boards). The two new modules ($300 + $400) are arriving Wednedsday.. The pump motor for the trunk and top was pretty crusty too but cleaned up rather well... Will do an electrical test later this afternoon... SO... I'll put everything back together and give it a try next weekend... I'll update my post with the results...Wish me luck... (and let us know what the dealer finds on the gas smell)

Cheers,

Mark (SF Bay Area)

Mark,

Apparently the gas smell I'm experiencing may be another recently-identified 2004-related design issue that has finallly been inflicted upon my car. (I've had all of the known problems crop up at one time or another and all have been resolved.) Not sure how many had to die to generate this but if you experience it and live long enough to get your car to a dealer, this could help out.

Here's the scoop: http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0015-41488.pdf

CC

MrO

Mission Semi-accomplished...
    Well, the saga continues. (Grab two beers and get comfortable, this has turned into a blog)

After many many hours cleaning the corrosion off the wiring harness connectors in the trunk pocket, and replacing the control modules that they were attached to, the trunk opens and closes fine now, and the “Service ride control” message is gone on the instrument panel display, but the convertible top in still inoperative. The idle is slowly getting better as I drive it around a bit with the new fuel and fuel system cleaner added to the gas. Here’s what I did:

Disconnected the battery… Started with pulling the ride control and retractable top modules out of the trunk pocket for inspection. They were a crusty MESS. (mind you, these sat under water for a few weeks) Opened them up to inspect the circuit board. They were a equally crusty mess. Cleaned the crusty residue off both boards with my water/citric acid solution. Worked GREAT as usual, the boards came out looking like new. I was able to inspect the circuitry now.. Ughh… Burned out traces, fried components, bad via’s… If I had a circuit schematic I MAYBE could have repaired them, but it would have taken HOURS with no guarantees. Nope these circuit boards were toast… I’m generally angry that the boards were not fuse protected. There appeared to be fusable links on both boards, one of which on one board burned open, but not in time to save the board… Curses on that board designer for not adding a few cents worth of circuit protection in-line with the power connection.
    Ordered new modules from wwwdotgm-partscenterdotcom which were shipped from a distributor called Randy Curnow in Kansas. 25840734 Retractable top Module ($306) and 10348979 Suspension Module ($415) with free shipping… Took about a week to get ‘em. While I was waiting for the modules I ultrasonically cleaned the crusty harness connectors. (Thank you GM for making the dozen or so connectors unique so reconnecting them was a breeze. Almost makes up for your crappy circuit board protection) 8 minutes per connector in the water/citric acid solution cleaned ‘em right up. Blew ‘em out with compressed air

Then I tackled the crusty motor assembly in the trunk pocket. The hydraulic casing seemed to be sealed pretty well, so I just cleaned the outside of the assembly. The motor needed attention though so that the only thing that I had to remove. After removing the black plastic cover to inspect the motor my heart sank… This motor had the same crustacean residue as the PCB modules.No way this thing was going to work in it’s present condition. I didn’t want to drop another $1000 on a new hydraulic/motor assembly, so I decided to try to clean it up. Into the ultrasonic bath it went with the water/citric acid solution. 8 minutes later it looks like new. I blew it out and fired it up the next day with a DC power supply at work. It started right up and ran fine. WHEW!! So I reinstalled it onto the pump assembly. I noticed some of the hydraulic fluid leaked out of the pump block. Cleaned that up walked away from the job until the modules arrived…

Ok home stretch… Got the modules… Installed them into their positions. Reconnected the wiring harness connectors. Then noticed that the pump reservoir fluid level was low. CRAP!! Another delay.. Found it online from GM for about $75 for 500ml… What the ???? $75????? NO WAY!!!! Googled the part# for an alternative and found that the SAME fluid is used in SAAB’s under a different part #: 93165227. Only it’s $43 there. I still choked on that a bit but at least I saved some $$.. Went to the SAAB dealer to pick it up. Got it and saw it was labeled in German but had the GM insignia on it… hmmm…

So.. refilled the reservoir to the proper level. Prettied up the trunk compartment a bit. Then
    () reconnected the battery
    () Got in the car and held the two electric window switches up for 10 seconds to reset the position sensor on the computer module. (the retractable top needs this step to operate properly after battery disconnect?)
    Pushed the trunk button on the dash and the trunk motor whirred to life and opened the trunk. (SWEET!!) Got out of the car and pushed the close button and it closed Got back in the car and tried to lower top… Nothing… Checked the fuse box and circuit breaker and everything looks up to snuff… Hmmm…

Well time to end this saga...
    Mission semi-accomplished… The water damage has been repaired to the best of my ability. 2 of the 3 electrical issues are resolved ( Suspension error message and Trunk lid operation). The car is running MUCH better.. Just the top issue and Engine Check Light issue now… I think it’s time to take it to the pro’s at the dealership for a diagnostic… Depending on that outcome I may get a service manual and dive into this again > we may just sell the car as-is for a few thousand $$$ discount… We’ll See… I’ll let y’all know what happens at the dealer next week…
    Cheers,
    Mark (SF Bay Area)

b_pappy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Late to the party here. Has anyone had any success lately in procuring a new Suspension Control Module, P/N 10348979? Seems odd Cadillac would discontinue such a critical part, especially one so prone to damage. I've tried the usual places, GM Parts Direct, and Parts Giant, even contacted the dealer in Kansas referenced above. It's apparently on national back order, with no expected date.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

MrO

Hey Bruce,

Bummer about the module shortage... Aside from the dealer where I ordered mine from : rcurnowparts@yahoo.com , these are the other two that I priced it at.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=10348979

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-10348979.html

It was available at all three places last summer... Good Luck!! (and rip out that @#$@#!! drain hose from the module compartment in the trunk...)

b_pappy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Thanks, I called the dealer you mentioned and they are out of stock, as is GM Parts Giant & Parts base and seemingly everyone else. It appears to be a issue with the vendor and they should be back in the supply chain in 6 weeks or so. Thank you for the help. The gal at Curnow was very friendly, just didn't have parts, and she actually sounded like she felt bad about it.
    Bruce

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

You are doing so good by your self, I can not believe you can not go all of the way. All you are short is a tech II.
    Bob

----------

I cannot believe you are not handling this problem by yourself. You probably have the split gas tank problem we all have had on our xlrs. It is a real bear of a problem to fix. You have to take the whole rear end out of the car, the exhaust system and work like a surgeon up between the seat back to get the system between the 2 tanks disconnected. It wore me out just watching the dealership mechanics fixing it on mine.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mro View Post
    mission semi-accomplished...
    Well, the saga continues. (grab two beers and get comfortable, this has turned into a blog)

after many many hours cleaning the corrosion off the wiring harness connectors in the trunk pocket, and replacing the control modules that they were attached to, the trunk opens and closes fine now, and the “service ride control” message is gone on the instrument panel display, but the convertible top in still inoperative. The idle is slowly getting better as i drive it around a bit with the new fuel and fuel system cleaner added to the gas. Here’s what i did:

Disconnected the battery… started with pulling the ride control and retractable top modules out of the trunk pocket for inspection. They were a crusty mess. (mind you, these sat under water for a few weeks) opened them up to inspect the circuit board. They were a equally crusty mess. Cleaned the crusty residue off both boards with my water/citric acid solution. Worked great as usual, the boards came out looking like new. I was able to inspect the circuitry now.. Ughh… burned out traces, fried components, bad via’s… if i had a circuit schematic i maybe could have repaired them, but it would have taken hours with no guarantees. Nope these circuit boards were toast… i’m generally angry that the boards were not fuse protected. There appeared to be fusable links on both boards, one of which on one board burned open, but not in time to save the board… curses on that board designer for not adding a few cents worth of circuit protection in-line with the power connection.
    Ordered new modules from wwwdotgm-partscenterdotcom which were shipped from a distributor called randy curnow in kansas. 25840734 retractable top module ($306) and 10348979 suspension module ($415) with free shipping… took about a week to get ‘em. While i was waiting for the modules i ultrasonically cleaned the crusty harness connectors. (thank you gm for making the dozen or so connectors unique so reconnecting them was a breeze. Almost makes up for your crappy circuit board protection) 8 minutes per connector in the water/citric acid solution cleaned ‘em right up. Blew ‘em out with compressed air

then i tackled the crusty motor assembly in the trunk pocket. The hydraulic casing seemed to be sealed pretty well, so i just cleaned the outside of the assembly. The motor needed attention though so that the only thing that i had to remove. After removing the black plastic cover to inspect the motor my heart sank… this motor had the same crustacean residue as the pcb modules.no way this thing was going to work in it’s present condition. I didn’t want to drop another $1000 on a new hydraulic/motor assembly, so i decided to try to clean it up. Into the ultrasonic bath it went with the water/citric acid solution. 8 minutes later it looks like new. I blew it out and fired it up the next day with a dc power supply at work. It started right up and ran fine. Whew!! So i reinstalled it onto the pump assembly. I noticed some of the hydraulic fluid leaked out of the pump block. Cleaned that up walked away from the job until the modules arrived…

ok home stretch… got the modules… installed them into their positions. Reconnected the wiring harness connectors. Then noticed that the pump reservoir fluid level was low. Crap!! Another delay.. Found it online from gm for about $75 for 500ml… what the ???? $75????? No way!!!! Googled the part# for an alternative and found that the same fluid is used in saab’s under a different part #: 93165227. Only it’s $43 there. I still choked on that a bit but at least i saved some $$.. Went to the saab dealer to pick it up. Got it and saw it was labeled in german but had the gm insignia on it… hmmm…

so.. Refilled the reservoir to the proper level. Prettied up the trunk compartment a bit. Then
    () reconnected the battery
    () got in the car and held the two electric window switches up for 10 seconds to reset the position sensor on the computer module. (the retractable top needs this step to operate properly after battery disconnect?)
    pushed the trunk button on the dash and the trunk motor whirred to life and opened the trunk. (sweet!!) got out of the car and pushed the close button and it closed got back in the car and tried to lower top… nothing… checked the fuse box and circuit breaker and everything looks up to snuff… hmmm…

well time to end this saga...
    Mission semi-accomplished… the water damage has been repaired to the best of my ability. 2 of the 3 electrical issues are resolved ( suspension error message and trunk lid operation). The car is running much better.. Just the top issue and engine check light issue now… i think it’s time to take it to the pro’s at the dealership for a diagnostic… depending on that outcome i may get a service manual and dive into this again > we may just sell the car as-is for a few thousand $$$ discount… we’ll see… i’ll let y’all know what happens at the dealer next week…
    cheers,
    mark (sf bay area)
    I hit the wrong reply, my answer is at the bottom.

RADARB8 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V TURBOCHARGED

I am seriously looking for an XLR...This was a good read...too bad the roof still does not retract...Are the fuel tank and roof problem related to just the 04 and 05's...Does anyone know when this issues were corrected..It is a wonder there is not a recall on these problemsI own an 06 CTSV that has the better differential and axels....in 04 and 95 Cadillac used the 6cyl. diff setup for the V's and they were and still are breaking right and left...BUT no recall was issued..Cadillac should have been held responsiblei have now 650+hp,with the stock upgraded rear and no problems...I get on it at 3200rpm in second gear @ 14psi and she just flys.Anyway gotta get myself an XLR...just spent 25grand just on upgrades, now i just want to relax a drive a sportyer XLR.

As a CTS-V owner I can't agree more regarding the rear end issues that plagued the first two years that GM should have dealt with properly. Instead, they got cheap and hoped enough owners would get to the end of their warrnty periods without their diffs grenading. My CTS-V was bought new and with less than 30 k mi on it after eight years, it still looks and smells like a new car. I wanted an XLR in '04 but thought they were outrageously priced, and bought the V instead. I waited four years and bought the XLR for less than half of what the first owner paid. By then, the V was paid for, so I kept it. I rarely drive it more than a couple of days a month anymore, and will likely sell it this year. It has been totally reliable, and never in the shop --unlike the XLR, which has cost me about $5k (inclding new tires) over four years. It does get better gas milage than the V and can get 28 mpg on long distance drives.

The splitting seam discovered on some of the '04-05 gas tanks is covered by GM (safety issue, but not classified as a recall) even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

I use the XLR as my daily driver. The V is nice, but the XLR is a lot more comfortable. If you've driven one you already know there's no comparison in terms of features, comfort, ride quality, and cabin noise level. I think the Bose system in the V is better in terms of the GUI, and sound quality, but it's a more spacious vehicle. The XLR has a poor user interface for the infotainment system (Radio and XM bands are just buttons on the display, not alphanumeric station call signs) and is very difficult to upgrade compatibility with the rest of the interfaces found in the vehicle.

The voice commands are useful, and the HUD should be standard on all Cadillacs. The Adaptive cruise control is great for long-distance freeway driving but not much use where cars are cutting in front of you with a car length to spare or in abrupt stop and go freeway driving which is common here in CA.

If I had to choose between the CTS-V or XLR, the XLR wins hands-down. It's not as fast as the CTS-V, but it's faster than most cars out there, so that isn't an issue in normal driving and passing scenarios.

Find a good one, get it inspected by an XLR certified tech, work any bugs out, (they're all documented here) and you'll have a car that I think you'll enjoy for a long time.

CC

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok so the latest on the module (#10348979) is that the supplier is scheduled to ship at the end of October so the modules will be available at the beginning of November

that's if there are no issues between now and then

there are currently 60 SPAC cases (orders that have been escalated) and the supplier is supposed to be shipping over 100 modules
    so basically if you have one on order currently with your dealer make sure it has been escalated to a SPAC case so you can be pretty much guaranteed to get one in November

-------

this supplier must not be in the US because if they were they would be shipping out those 60 SPAC case modules directly from the supplier to the dealers
    but that is only when the supplier is in the US ... if the supplier is international GM must wait for the full order to be completed and keep it all together as one shipment

-------

and to the gentleman who called me earlier (Jay): I'm sorry we got disconnected - i think that i might have hung up on you by accident when i was trying to take you off of hold
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Thanks for the warning here...truth be told, that hole was really small 1/4" and I'll count myself lucky that mine is dry and does not appear to ever been wet.

Is this something that may have been addressed in 06?...if not, this will be a weekly check!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.