Brake Pads and Rotors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Brake Pads and Rotors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ladies and Gentlemen: I have the privelege of owning a 2006 XLR-V which has 23843 miles. So far I have ...
    gads is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Brake Pads and Rotors

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have the privelege of owning a 2006 XLR-V which has 23843 miles. So far I have enjoyed my sterling silver head turner and have had no serious mechanical problems - unless you count replacing - twice - the radio only because CD player would not change CD's. Now I hear brake squeal so its time for pads and maybe rotors. Dealer says front/back $1200 for pads and rotors. Brakemaster says about $600 front/back with ceramic pads and rotors with the caveat that their parts meet mfg specs but are not GM parts. I searched several threads and did not find this subject addressed. I do not want to bore you or take up your valuable time...but I would appreciate comments from fellow XLR-V owners and especially our trusted XLR mechanics that help us keep these rolling works of art on the street.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: Brake Pads and Rotors

I did my own and one didn't bed well so it still squeaks. I will redo my brake bedding again this week to finally get them hot enough to smoke and that should eliminate the squeal once and for all.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Thank you Gizmo. I am not doing my own brakes. I was asking for opinions from owners like you as to having the dealer do the brake work or an independent like Brakemaster.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gads View Post
    Thank you Gizmo. I am not doing my own brakes. I was asking for opinions from owners like you as to having the dealer do the brake work or an independent like Brakemaster.
    Then I'd say if you like and trust your dealer, go with the dealer. Mine told me a few tricks on how to eliminate squeaks and squeals as well as the proper bedding procedures. Also if there are problems, you have more options to obtain satisfaction with the dealer than with an independent.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Independent did mine at a much lower cost with XLR brakes that I purchased. He turned the rotors installed on the car. Mine are perfect with no problems.

Thank you sir! I had not thought about asking independent if I could bring GM pads and/or rotors and pay only for labor. Great idea!

NightshiftHD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR-V & 2008 SRX-4 Sport

I don't know if you've done your brakes yet ... but I took mine to the dealer for new pads as they were squealing on one side. They didn't have "V-pads" in stock so they decided to try the after-market ceramic pads and see how they work. Well, they worked just fine ... I didn't notice any reduction in braking power, but they squealed just a loudly as the old pads they took off. They did another skim grind on the rotors with no luck to quiet them down. Finally after about the 3rd trip there to get the squeal fixed, I told them just put the freakin OEM V-pads on. Once they put V-pads on, the squeal was gone and the brakes are as they should be on a 6-figure ride! Bill

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

"Brakes are us" = $19.95. Right next to Earl Scheib $19.95. lol You really really have to be an old _art to get this one.

jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is actually a pretty easy job and you can get the rotors/pads cheap from ebay.

I have installed these on 2 vehicles including my 06 XLR
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250821923264

I was getting a trerrible squeal from my brakes. I had the rotors turned and the pads replaced by the dealer but still the screeching sound was awful. I installed these drilled/slotted rotors and it's been quiet since. These can be ordered drilled only if you don't want them slotted. The zinc coating keeps the rotors a nice silver color which looks great with an open wheel design.

Thank you - Nightshift and jellyhead - I was not aware that the pads had to be "V-pads" and I am not sure if the dealer knows this - will make sure.
    Jelly buying pads and rotors on ebay had not occurred to me but will search the site you provided.

NightshiftHD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR-V & 2008 SRX-4 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gads View Post
    Thank you - Nightshift and jellyhead - I was not aware that the pads had to be "V-pads" and I am not sure if the dealer knows this - will make sure.
    Gads ... any GM/Caddy dealer KNOWS about V-pads ... they may not initially suggest them as they are more money than standard ceramic pads. But in my experience with my V ... aftermarket ceramic pads squealed like crazy, and the noise disappeared the moment they put on the more expensive XLR-V pads. Convinced me!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as long as they're using your VIN to look up the parts you should get the right stuff
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

I bought my front brakes at the dealer wholesale and took them to an independent who turned the drums on the car and installed them for $108.00. No more squeaks and they work fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.