Removing Catalyitic Converters
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Removing Catalyitic Converters in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type ...
    karolko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Removing Catalyitic Converters

I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Re: Removing Catalyitic Converters

The xlr does have o2 sensors front and back of the converter. There are some nice exhaust systems available for the xlr for plus or minus $1500.

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by karolko View Post
    I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko
    The exhaust manifold and cats are one assembly - so you'd have to remove them to cut them and then try to build something to replace the cats... since they are cast iron I think that would take some work.

Perhaps you can get D3 to make you some headers that do not have cats...

As for the ECM - you can remove the rear O2 sensors and disable to the trouble code for them when you get a re-tune for it.

What you're trying to do is not going to be cheap... but good luck.

karolko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Man i hate this car. Everything that should be done performance wise is like pulling teeth. I guess i am going to leave this thing along, let me my mom drive the thing, keep my hair, and buy a ZR1.

Thanks for the info guys,

Adrian

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage...

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage...
    And a knowledgeable tuner can disable the rear O2 sensors, remove the speed limiter, change the shift points, etc., in no time - thanks Jesse.

Why don't you just find a reputable muffler shop, have them drop the front of the cat-back and ream out the insides of the cats with them still on the vehicle.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Quote Originally Posted by karolko View Post

Adrian Karolko
    Provincially we don't have auto emission standards, however there are federal regulaions. I would certainly like to know which 'reputable muffler shops would deliberately disable/destroy these systems"

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Not sure of the name of these muffler shops, but return address for some of their personnel is something like Leavinworth, Kansas. 66048. Certainly, Quebec zip will be different.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.