We seriously need to get more XLR owners in here.. Any ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, We seriously need to get more XLR owners in here.. Any ideas? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Let's figure out a way to get more action in here for Cadillac XLR owners. This is the busiest Cadillac ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

We seriously need to get more XLR owners in here.. Any ideas?

Let's figure out a way to get more action in here for Cadillac XLR owners. This is the busiest Cadillac website online with the exception of Cadillac.com.. It's a crime that we don't have a busy XLR section...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DTS Diamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum

Re: We seriously need to get more XLR owners in here.. Any ideas?

Most of the XLR owners and wantabes are on the 2 XLR only sites. I happen to own several different Cadillacs so I belong to this Site also. Doug-J

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

I think a big part of the problem you describe is due in large part to the smaller owner base to cater to. This site has
    always been weak when it comes to owners submitting threads describing cause and effect. Without access to a Tech 2, even simple issues become problematic and require an experienced dealer's tech to diagnose. The XLR isn't much of a DIY car when it comes to problems.

Beefing up the XLR-related info on a FAQ or something similar couldn't hurt; there simply isn't any appreciable source material here to make it a serious, go-to site for XLR owners. Yet.

--Now, the CTS-V . . . this site rocks! It's THE place to learn about the vehicle and interact with lots of savy owners. I read every single post prior to buying my CTS-V and there wasn't a salesman at the dealership who could come close to helping me the way this site did.

23 pages containing 575 threads spanning eight years is a pretty good indicator there's a problem. Without buffing this site's XLR content up, it's likely to stay slow indefinately. The CTS-V section adds this much content in a month!

Owners will find the sites that have the info they seek. Post it and they will come, because you're right --this is a heavily-hit Cadillac owners site, and it's a shame the XLR section doesn't reflect that.

Just my .02

CC

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

I do my best to keep the site going, but i have noticed lately, no one is saying anything. You can see where many people have looked at the site, but have made no comments.
    I have tried to find anyone in southern calif. To even get together. I have stopped at gas stations, when i see one and tried to get something going, but they just seem to be people who bought them to drive like a standard car and had no interest in clubs or repairs. Most were beat up enough, i would not want them.
    I do appreciate the help i have received on this site, but fortunate for me i am under warranty. Mine has been in the dealership one week per month, since i have owned it.
    In the last 6 months i have had replaced a water pump, horns, rh and lh of dash push buttons, power steering pump, rear spring, the transmission rebuilt, gas tank replaced, top cuts repainted due to poor adjustment of trunk, new lower grille, all under fender liners were cracked, aerial dropping out, bad oxygen sensor, now my traction control light is on.
    I still love my baby. I never drive it in the rain and it is polished every day before it leaves the garage. I have owned a lot of fine cars, but i have never owned one that gets the attention that this one gets when i am driving it.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

I guess we could start with renaming this forum. There were no XLRs built in 2010.

I agree with DTS Diamond, most of the XLR folks are over there on the XLR-only sites.

But I do foresee a great opportunity coming in the next year or two. Seeing as the used car market is about to see an influx of these vehicles (i.e., warranties expiring), I believe a lot of younger buyers are going to start showing up (its already starting). Modifications like Stiegemeier's Snake Bite, Spectre's Intake (coming soon, hopefully), and D3's headers will increase the DIY modders in this younger demographic. And don't forget, all the things alarmu12 mentioned he had done at the dealer, these folks will want to try to fix themselves.

You just need a hook. Right now I'd say the environment here is your best asset. A little more playful, fun-loving, openness. But ya gotta get'em here. Expertise like CCClarke helps, but like he said adding XLR-specific source material would help.

I got it -the one thing no one has done that you could is to promote the similarities of the XLR-V and the STS-V drivetrains. There are lots of mods and info flowing throughout the STS-V forum here - that's how I found out about the Snake Bite. Somehow tie the two together and there's your hook! Are there like similarities between the base models?
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Okay, so I updated the name of the forum. Thank you! And I agree that we could use some XLR-specific information - maybe as stickies.. But what type of information is needed? Year to year difference? Specifications? And in regards to an influx of younger people looking to buy XLRs out of warranty - that sounds really good. If we can have what they need here before they start researching on Google (for example), that would help out quite a bit. I think the "information" is the way to go. I just don't know where to begin...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

karolko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Newbie here. I am on the other boards, but what the hell. I am also into the old 500 big blocks as well so it's a start.

Adrian

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

welcome aboard Adrian!
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up!

Quote Originally Posted by karolko View Post
    Newbie here. I am on the other boards, but what the hell. I am also into the old 500 big blocks as well so it's a start.

Adrian

sacmike1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 007 XLR

I have a 2007 XLR would like to join a club but cant find anything. How do i start? Im in Sacramento and it would be nice to find something local.

skibum2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none now

I have just purchased a 2006 XLR-V and am still searching out the sites to find information on the car. Reading the other sites that I have found has let me know that these cars are in a class by themselves. Being a motor head does not even help with these complex cars.. Any tech. info or a good question-answer page would help. Beautiful car

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by skibum2 View Post
    I have just purchased a 2006 XLR-V and am still searching out the sites to find information on the car. Reading the other sites that I have found has let me know that these cars are in a class by themselves. Being a motor head does not even help with these complex cars.. Any tech. info or a good question-answer page would help. Beautiful car
    Welcome to the forum! The XLR is definitely a rare car. Unfortunately a motorhead is wasted on this car. The Northstar is difficult at best to work on and given the extensive electronics integration may get frustrating fast.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

skibum2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none now

Yep, you are so right...NOW all I do is look for the best polish to make my baby shine...AND I can hear the radio now, not like my AC...

01_Ram-Air is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    I guess we could start with renaming this forum. There were no XLRs built in 2010.

I agree with DTS Diamond, most of the XLR folks are over there on the XLR-only sites.

But I do foresee a great opportunity coming in the next year or two. Seeing as the used car market is about to see an influx of these vehicles (i.e., warranties expiring), I believe a lot of younger buyers are going to start showing up (its already starting). Modifications like Stiegemeier's Snake Bite, Spectre's Intake (coming soon, hopefully), and D3's headers will increase the DIY modders in this younger demographic. And don't forget, all the things alarmu12 mentioned he had done at the dealer, these folks will want to try to fix themselves.

You just need a hook. Right now I'd say the environment here is your best asset. A little more playful, fun-loving, openness. But ya gotta get'em here. Expertise like CCClarke helps, but like he said adding XLR-specific source material would help.

I got it -the one thing no one has done that you could is to promote the similarities of the XLR-V and the STS-V drivetrains. There are lots of mods and info flowing throughout the STS-V forum here - that's how I found out about the Snake Bite. Somehow tie the two together and there's your hook! Are there like similarities between the base models?
    I think you hit the nail on the head. As these cars have got older, the warranties have expired, and they've depreciated significantly. This creates a shift in the age demographics that now own the car. Not a lot of people can afford a $80,000+ vehicle and the result is an older age crowd that doesn't want to be out turning wrenches on their new pride and joy (not saying everyone, but speaking in 'general' terms). Now, we're 7 years later (and the last year most banks are willing to finance an 04) and you can pick up an XLR for $20,000+ it opens up the buyer's market to a different age demographic. Since the warranties are expired/expiring, we can't just take the car to the dealer, have the problem fixed, and have everything covered for free under that lovely warranty. Since it cost quite a bit to have anything done at the dealership, you're going to see people trying to figure out how to do it themselves. In return, people going through some trial and errors will provide great resource of first hand experience. In addition, I think you'll see more people trying to get some more ponies out of this little 289 cu in. motor since we're not concerned with voiding the warranty. I know I would have appreciated a nice LS2, LS3, or LS7 N/A motor. I think cadillac did well with the V series, but having a LS-based motor supercharged would have been killer. But, we'll still figure out how to make some power out of the 4.6L. The Ford guys have figured it out. I'm sure there's quite a bit that can be gained from having a tuner play around for a bit and tune the car. I actually fit this profile pretty well.. I'm a gearhead that owns a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am. It's a drag car that's street legal. I'm 29 and bought the car for my wife who's 27. Instead of having the dealer turn the rear rotors and put on new pads for $289, I bought all new drilled/slotted rotors and pads off eBay for $205 and I'll throw my buddy a few bucks to slap them on at his "side-job" shop. One of the first things I was researching was new intakes. There's a good 10 hp and 1/2 - 1 mpg increase and I would bet even more coupled with a new tune. Again, not concerned with voiding any warranties. As we start our ventures, we'll be needing expert advise from guys like you all that have owned these cars since the beginning. We definitely need the XLR specific information.

LORD CADILLAC: You mentioned the XLR information was the way to go, but didn't know where to start... As a new XLR owner, this is the type of information I was looking for:

How many of my car were made? So, straight facts on production numbers would be a key. How many of each year, each color offered, each interior/exterior combo, etc.
    04-05 XLR owners will want to know everything there is about the Headlight issue.
    A list of every recall that was issued on each year
    What are the common failure/problematic issues. What are tips of maintenance to help avoid any further issues.
    What similarities does the XLR have with other vehs? We know it shares the same platform as the C6, but let's get specific. What exactly is the same and what appears to be but is not? What parts are interchangeable?
    What are the tricks of the trade with this car? Meaning... hold this button and that button at the same time for 10 seconds and (x) will be reset.
    What does XLR even stand for? (Is it.. eXperimental Luxury Roadster?)
    What bolt pattern and offset are needed for aftermarket rims? How big of a rim can you go? How wide? How big of a tire can you stuff out back?
    Horsepower... tell me how I can make more! What other options do we have other than D3 Performance? Do they own the market? What are all the basic bolt-on options? Who can tune these cars?

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Honestly?

Because Cadillac sold four of them, maybe five.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.