Back from the shop - Top Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Back from the shop - Top Issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I have an interesting story about my top repair. Last weekend while at Panama City Beach the toneau cover ...
    shawn.foist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black XLR and 2005 Raven Black CTS

Back from the shop - Top Issue

Well I have an interesting story about my top repair.

Last weekend while at Panama City Beach the toneau cover would not deploy while putting the top down. After a couple of tries it went down, but after putting it back it was done. It wouldn't look any longer.

This was the first malfunction I have experienced with the vehicle in the year and half that I have owned it. I followed the advice of the forum and found the nearest XLR certified dealer. It was only just over an hour from my house.

The tech check the car and found that the code that control the deployment of the cover was missing! How the heck does computer code go missing? Anyway he phoned someone at GM and they told him to reprogram the top control module (TCM) and that if the vehicle malfunctioned like that again the TCM would need to be replaced. So I made it out of the dealership for 93 dollars and my fingers crossed.

I would love to hear anyone's theory on the code loss and how they think it might have happened.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: Back from the shop - Top Issue

The Folding Top Control module stores the sensor parameter expected and actual positions, compares them and halts the folding top's operation if the actuals fall out of the expected window. It's reasonable to assume the folding top or rear tonneau position sensor values were missing and created your problem. Normally, the last position values the module read are stored in memory and can be pulled with a Tech 2. If a particular sensor parameter is out to lunch, it's a good place to start troubleshooting. If it's missing count (position) data entirely, then the FTC module becomes suspect as well. Most top issues can be traced to a faulty or misaligned position sensor or indicator switch.

It's uncommon, but non-volatile, re-programmable RAM can drop a bit sometimes. Hopefully, it's an anomally and won't repeat. The $93 bucks you paid to re-init the firmware was about a tenth of the Folding Top Control module's replacement cost. --At least you know your top software is current!

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.