LS7 swap.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, LS7 swap. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As I mentioned in my first thread, I've looked at the LS7 swaps issue for a while now and I ...
    XLR 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR

LS7 swap.

As I mentioned in my first thread, I've looked at the LS7 swaps issue for a while now and I am certain it can be done without breaking the bank. The LS7 isn't cheap and there are some other parts needed for the swap. I will have mine complete for less than 15k. There are several parts that need to be built and sourced for the swap. The real reason for the thread is to see if there is any real interest in building 5 of these cars. I was thinking about making 4 spares of what I'm building. I am curious if anyone else out there thinks a Z06 XLR would be a natural evolution of the car.

I know the focus of past threads on the subject center on the PMC and the interface with the other computer components on the XLR given its complexity. This isn't the issue everyone thinks it is. I would like to reopen the topic for conversation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: LS7 swap.

The natural evolution of the XLR was the XLR-V. Why the big interest in shelling out $15k for an LS7 and the headaches it surely will entail? Anything is possible with enough time and money, but why not pick up a V and have D3 or Mallet operate on it? As far as integration, several people have talked about it in different XLR-related forums over the years, but no one has ever written back to say they pulled it off.

Keep us posted . . .

CC

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

I agree with ccclarke. You can get into enough trouble just keeping it going as it is without adding this to your troubles. You could sell it and maybe get a newer one with a v for the same money.

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

I also agree the swap shouldn't be a big deal... I've worked with 3 different tuners on my XLR-V and have now started my own to do tweaks.... and based on what i've seen, the engine swap isn't a big deal electronically.

To answer your question - I would be interested

What parts need to be fabricated? I figured that the LS swap should be 100% off the shelf parts.

Quote Originally Posted by XLR 06 View Post
    As I mentioned in my first thread, I've looked at the LS7 swaps issue for a while now and I am certain it can be done without breaking the bank. The LS7 isn't cheap and there are some other parts needed for the swap. I will have mine complete for less than 15k. There are several parts that need to be built and sourced for the swap. The real reason for the thread is to see if there is any real interest in building 5 of these cars. I was thinking about making 4 spares of what I'm building. I am curious if anyone else out there thinks a Z06 XLR would be a natural evolution of the car.

I know the focus of past threads on the subject center on the PMC and the interface with the other computer components on the XLR given its complexity. This isn't the issue everyone thinks it is. I would like to reopen the topic for conversation.

jude_s1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac xlr

Cool Re: LS7 swap.

WHY? in this economy any profit on selling these cars, would certainly be eaten up, and without profit,there is no other reason!! to do this unless you want to race them. and at that, find a sponsor so you don't have to use your own cash.

XLR 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR

First, thanks for the response positive and negative. I'm going to respond to a couple of themes. First is why. Why not swap into a V and let D3 or Mallet tweak the car? The best answer is I get great satisfaction out of turning my own wrenches. The second reason is that these cars as built run out of modification room at about 565 to 600hp. The ballgame starts with teh Z06 at 600hp. Yes, I know for many of you these are luxury first. I purchased because the car has all the potential of the Vette in something you don"t see every day.

Regarding whether this is truly a bolt in.... I think it is. Until it is in and running none of use will know. I think at the end of the day we will either need a custom engine harness, or at the very least, a modified harness from the Vette. I do know the Caddy CTS V (the new coupe) is running the same basic PMC as many other Chevy's, and it interfaces with the other computers in that car beautifully.

One last thought... The value of these cars is falling rapidly for several different reasons. The value of the Z06 Vette isn't suffering the same fate. I'm guessing this car would only benefit from hitching its star so to speak to the Vettes. Again, I know I'm new, and these are just my thoughts.

shawn.foist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black XLR and 2005 Raven Black CTS

I would like to say that I can see both sides of the argument. I think that maybe what we are looking at is just a different mind set of people with different views. Those that don't want the worry of completing a project like this and those that look at something and have the irresistible urge to wonder 'what if'. I can say that I fit in to the second group and have been pondering the idea of a drivetrain swap with a Z06.

My question is really why not? I would imagine that really nice drive trains could be found for less then 20K. With most of the older XLRs getting to the age that they should be about paid for, I ask the question, why not. My XLR has 70K on it. I have loved the body of the XLR since I saw it in Motor Trend. I love driving the car and plan to never part with the vehicle voluntarily. I think implanting a Z06 would both be a logical evolution, an upgrade for the powertrain while at the same giving the vehicle a mechanical refresh. For around 20K? I'm in!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

shawn, your PM box is full... clear it (and your sent items box out... or just delete one... so i can PM you back)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

karolko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Hey Guys,

I joined the forum mainly because of this topic. I have thought about swap for about a year now, mainly becasue i am not happy with 330hp, and i feel that this car really needs the powerlevel of a Z06 or ZR1. It's 4000lbs dammit.

In my opinion, the XLR falls into the exclusive category of GM vehicles, and obviously attracts a cetain customer, and for most, they do not want to do anything but drive their car and park it afterwards. However there are a few of us who need to wrench on these things, mainly becasue we can and we like to build unique cars.

That being said, I am certain that if you had a donor car, all the powertrain components would be a direct bolt in, Engine, transmission,torque tube and rear end. My questions are directed towards intergrating the other electronic stuff like the adaptive cruise and the things that are not included in the corvettes. If all the options are included in the corvette, as in the xlr, then it is simply a matter of pulling up both wiring systems, chasing wires and POW>

My plan is to twin turbocharge my engine, as i am familiar with the stuff.

If some of you GM pros can help explain some of the obsticles of this swap, i am sure that we can work through them together.

Thanks guys,

Adrian Karolko

march is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR 06

I have thought about this too, and since it is 5 years old and getting closer to the lower end of the value curve I would do it. One question I have is with the automatic trans - can it handle the 600 hp?

I have yet to see anyone integrate an aftermarket entertainment system sucessfully into an XLR, --let alone a different powertrain. Both are relatively easy to install, but fully-operating integration with the existing XLR features, (DSCC, Stabilitrac, ABS, Mag Ride Control, etc) is the show-stopper. The entertainment system only interfaces with the HUD, Cruise Control, and steering wheel-mounted switches, and no one I know of has gotten all (some but not all) of those to interface correctly. So they're left with switches on the steering wheel that have no purpose, cruise control systems that are inoperable, or HUDs that show partial information. The seamless integration of the vehicle's features are a big part of what makes an XLR an XLR. The new flagship CTS-V and CTS-V coupe are still behind the 2004 XLR when it comes to the array of integrated features we enjoy. The XLR was a rolling test bed of integrated systems that GM will be improving and applying to future vehicles.

Before you make the plunge with a new engine, spring for a set of XLR shop manuals and really dig into them to understand the complexity and methodology behind the dual LANs the XLR uses to bridge it's systems (which includes the powertrain) seamlessly. Then decide if you want a good-looking fast car without the amenities that make it a luxury roadster or not.

The entertainment system upgrade is a less-complex analogy to an infinitely more complex mod like a powertrain, but again, the network architecture is what gets in the way. There are folks who have made the upgrade, but had to compromise with a loss of other functionality. To each his own and I wish you the best of luck!

CC

santa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

have they really pulled navigation out ? i did,nt know about it. thats sad.why would they do that ?

Dear Santa,

Hitting the 'nog a little early this year?

PS: Thanks for the XLR

CC

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that reminds me of http://dearblankpleaseblank.com

Dear Santa,
    Please don't hit the 'nog this early in the year.
    Thanks,
    Your Elves
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by karolko View Post
    Hey Guys,

I joined the forum mainly because of this topic. I have thought about swap for about a year now, mainly becasue i am not happy with 330hp, and i feel that this car really needs the powerlevel of a Z06 or ZR1. It's 4000lbs dammit.

In my opinion, the XLR falls into the exclusive category of GM vehicles, and obviously attracts a cetain customer, and for most, they do not want to do anything but drive their car and park it afterwards. However there are a few of us who need to wrench on these things, mainly becasue we can and we like to build unique cars.

That being said, I am certain that if you had a donor car, all the powertrain components would be a direct bolt in, Engine, transmission,torque tube and rear end. My questions are directed towards intergrating the other electronic stuff like the adaptive cruise and the things that are not included in the corvettes. If all the options are included in the corvette, as in the xlr, then it is simply a matter of pulling up both wiring systems, chasing wires and POW>

My plan is to twin turbocharge my engine, as i am familiar with the stuff.

If some of you GM pros can help explain some of the obsticles of this swap, i am sure that we can work through them together.

Thanks guys,

Adrian Karolko
    Take parts from donor car and put them in receiver car.

Did you know that in the event of a (human) head transplant, the donor becomes the receiver!! Think about it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.