GMPP Plan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, GMPP Plan in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I love my XLR but I am thinking that I better unload this car as soon as possible. Brought this ...
    57ragtop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR, 2002DTS, 1957 Ford Fairlane

GMPP Plan

I love my XLR but I am thinking that I better unload this car as soon as possible. Brought this car in November 2009 and have put 2,000 miles on car. I got the GMPP after my warranty ran out. I took the XLR on its first trip out of the local area. We had a number of problems including overheating, bad brake shutter, traction service message coming on, and a piece of trim came off, now they are replacing the water pump because it is leaking. They have told me the brakes (bad rotors, they think) is not covered by plan. Also the piece of trim is not covered by plan. This is my 9th Cadillac and 7 were purchased/leased from this dealer in Alexandria,VA. Have owned Corvettes but thought that the XLR was a step above for comfort, etc. I am in my seventies and not so mechanically inclined and do not want to have to spend a lot of money keeping this car on the road. After all this I still love this car and if anyone can offer me some suggestions I would be grateful. John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Re: GMPP Plan

You did not mention what year or how many miles were on your xlr. Brakes and rotors are never covered and require replacement in time. You did not mention what trim fell off. There is not much trim on a xlr. Did they charge to reinstall it. I assume they replaced the water pump under warranty. Most things that will cost any real money will be covered under your warranty. Love and drive the car, it is a beautiful machine and like all cars will need maintenance from time to time.

Thanks for your input, The car is an 2006 with 44,000 miles which I got in Nov. 2009 with 42,000 on the speedo. I did know that the brakes were not covered by the warranty but after buying/leasing 7 cadillacs, I was disappointed that with my putting just 2,000 miles (800 of these going to dealer) on the car they would be a little more sympathetic and bite the bullet on replacing them. The trim piece was that little w/w spray for the drivers side headlight, They have since decided to repair/replace this part. I have decided to keep the XLR and maybe try another area dealer to do service and warranty work. John

alarmu12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR & 1993 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

They usually never bite the bullet on brakes. My 2007 has the same miles and i just did my brakes. That w/w cover comes off easy if you go to car washes. I never wash mine, i only dust it with costco yellow cloths or wax it. I also super glued it. You have to make sure it is twist locked into its locked position also.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Are you near Lindsay Cadillac?

yes Lindsay is my dealer, althought it is over 90 miles away. John

hmm (just fyi in case you didn't know: they have a forum channel here and are very highly regarded on this site)

i wonder if your main 'beef' is really with the GMPP and not the dealer - my understanding is that GMPP isn't much better than the available (cheaper) options from other warranty companies

if you really like your XLR maybe trading up to a newer one with a certified warranty would be the way to go
    either way the CPO warranty blows the doors of of the GMPP (at least that is my understanding)

and nothing against Lindsay, but if you can find a dealer closer to you that provides the same level of service (or better) then that's just an obvious choice
    (i assume you were going out of your way to Lindsay because of their high level of service)

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    hmm (just fyi in case you didn't know: they have a forum channel here and are very highly regarded on this site)

i wonder if your main 'beef' is really with the GMPP and not the dealer - my understanding is that GMPP isn't much better than the available (cheaper) options from other warranty companies

if you really like your XLR maybe trading up to a newer one with a certified warranty would be the way to go
    either way the CPO warranty blows the doors of of the GMPP (at least that is my understanding)

and nothing against Lindsay, but if you can find a dealer closer to you that provides the same level of service (or better) then that's just an obvious choice
    (i assume you were going out of your way to Lindsay because of their high level of service)
    Lindsey's two contributors on this site are terrific!

GMPP is the best available warranty for the XLR since it is the ONLY one that includes the top, which can be problematic with this vehicle. Prices vary, so it's worth it to shop around.

The GMPP warranty is very simlar to the factory warranty.

Trading up is more expensive, vehicle and warranty-wise. Why pay twice for depreciation? Standard '07 warranties expire in a year, and extended warranties two more after that. The price break between '08s & '09s (different styling that some don't care for) is considerable. His current warranty is paid. Keeping a newer vehicle could involve buying an additional warranty later as well.

XLRs are holding their value surprisingly well compared with most late model Cadillacs. High milage '04's are finally appearing below $20k now.

CC

good points - if money is no object though (which it usually is with XLR owners), I would get an 09 or 10 with low miles and a CPO

CC thanks for your reply, my problem is not with the plan but with this dealer, I have no problem with the XLR service guys, one was exceptional helping us by phone when my top got stuck 3 hours from my driving in the town Christmas parade and whenever I take my car in the service/repairs are
    done quickly and efficiently. I am keeping my XLR and am not buying a new one to get a CPO warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.