windscreen behind the roll bar on the XLR - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, windscreen behind the roll bar on the XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Folks, it clearly depends on WHICH wind screen you are talking about as to whether it is mounted behind or ...
    NightshiftHD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR-V & 2008 SRX-4 Sport

Re: windscreen behind the roll bar on the XLR

Folks, it clearly depends on WHICH wind screen you are talking about as to whether it is mounted behind or in front of the roll bars. This thread is useless to people when you make comments about mounting one way or the other without identifying the product you are referring to.

In the case of Wind Restrictor ... they are mounted BEHIND the roll bars. It's a dead simple install ... I did it in 1/2 hour, not counting the extra time it took me to hook up the wiring for the LED panel and switch. The Wind Restrictor is NOT wider than the outside of the roll bars and it has never interfered with the roof or side windows in over a year of operation.

I can't comment about any other competitive brand, as I have never seen or installed one. If I were buying another one today ... it would definately be the Wind Restrictor again! It's a quality product. Bill

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Knowing what I know now, I would not mount one behind the roll bar no matter who made it. This is a quality product that's on the car, it's only 1/4 inch thick, no wider or taller than the roll bars and it installes in about 2 minutes and works great. What I was told it has more to do with the older XLR and how close the top is to the roll bars as the windows unfold on the way up. According to the XLR tech that did the repair, there just isn't a 1/4inch to spare as the tops age they just wiggle a touch more and that did it. Good luck with your behind the roll bar install, I hope you don't have any issues as this repair was a pain in the ass.

Everything works perfectly until the day it doesn't work perfectly.

Appreciate tour comments Koooop. You've got me a bit concerned now. Tomorrow I'm gonna open the top in slo-mo as I want to stop it just as the side windows start to fold in. I'm curious to see just how much room there really is on my 08. I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers, Bill

By the way Koooop, you indicated last summer when this happened to your dad's car, the windscreen had "straps" to hold it on, which indicates to me that it's not a WindRestrictor which I have ... as they use aluminum clamps.

So I'm curious ... can you tell me what product it was? I am happy they covered the repair on your dad's ride. Cheers, Bill

I'm not here to promote a product, nor do I have an axe to grind with the vendor since he stood behind it. I just thought other XLR owners should be aware there may not be a 1/4" to spare behind the roll bar on all of these cars.

Humble Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I would not mount one behind the roll bar no matter who made it..(snip).
    I can't believe how stupid I am. Gotta suck up some humble pie bigtime! Here I am spouting off about mounting the WindRestrictor behind the roll bars, when if I would have actually got off my arse and went to the garage to look at the car ... I was shocked to see I had mounted it IN FRONT OF the rollbars ... just like the WindRestrictor instructions said to! I appologize to Koooop and everyone else who saw my incorrect posts above (I would delete them if I could so no-one else reads that incorrect info). Hopefully a mod here will delete them for me.

This said, it did check the clearance on the side wing windows and there isn't much room between them and the roll bars when the roof is going up or down. I didn't measure, but it looks like only about 3/4" ... and as Koooop says, if anything goes wrong (ie: shifting of any kind), those wing windows are definately gonna hit something attached to the rear side of the roll bars.

Rest assured I will be kicking myself for days because of my stupidity. Just wanted to set the record straight here as far as WindRestrictors go. Bill

I imagine your post may save some future XLR owner some serious grief.

My Dads car didn't hit the first few times he used the top with that block in place.

Thanks for the info.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Here's a link to show how it looks on the XLR. Mine works great and is a GM-approved product too! Highly recommended.

http://www.windrestrictor.com/xlr_gallery/index.html

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.