Top stops in mid-cycle while being raised
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Top stops in mid-cycle while being raised in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The car is a 2008 XLR and was supposed to have had the updated top software installed last year. Recently, ...
    rwd
    rwd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Top stops in mid-cycle while being raised

The car is a 2008 XLR and was supposed to have had the updated top software installed last year.

Recently, after retracting without problem, when the top was raised, there was a continuous loud grinding or whine from the driver's side of the trunk while the switch was pressed, but the top secured properly.

Later, the top was lowered to check operation, and the same sound occurred, but it was stored correctly.

When an attempt was made to raise it, however, the mechanism locked with the trunk up, but before the top began to raise. The direction was reversed, and it stored correctly. On the final attempt to raise it, it stopped at the same place, but when reversed, it did not fully retract. A 'top not secure message' appeared, and it has been the only message.

Currently, the center front tonneau cover is jammed against the roll bars and may be being held there by the quarter glass windows. While somewhat concealed, the windows appear to be higher than expected and their tops are tight against the underside of the center tonneau cover.

The trunk lid is closed, but whether it did so as part of the cycle or via the trunk button is unknown.

Any information, including any specific potential sensor involvement and whether all sensors have the same part number would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thomasrtabor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Re: Top stops in mid-cycle while being raised

Good luck you will need it. Had the same problem with a 2005 Car was in shop 16 times in first 2years. With 10,000 miles I dumped it and back to a DTS

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

When attempting to cycle the top closed please identify the position of each piece when operation stalls out.

Folding top: Up or stowed in trunk
    Trunk lid: Fully open or fully closed
    Rear tonneau cover (the one on the trunk): stowed (rearward) or forward
    Front tonneau cover: Up or down

If you open the trunk lid manually (it won't open under power at this point if the front tonneau is up probably) does it stay open by itself?

This is fixable but I need some clarification.

rwd
    rwd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Folding top: Stowed in trunk
    Trunk lid: Fully open
    Rear tonneau cover (the one on the trunk): stowed (rearward)
    Front tonneau cover: Up against the roll bars

If you open the trunk lid manually (it won't open under power at this point if the front tonneau is up probably) does it stay open by itself? Yes.

Thanks for the reply. I answered your questions by editing the quote box. The car has now been to a dealer for service.

In my case, a hose failed (I don't know if it was a result of being kinked), and the fluid leaked out. I'm still waiting for parts and fluid. Until they are installed and the top is operated, it's not possible to determine whether the pump was damaged or other components were involved.

In researching the problem, I've learned of several instances recently that involve one specific hose failing. It runs in the area above the passenger side rear quarter glass, iirc. I don't know if this is a problem that you've seen, but it was also involved in my incident.

I appreciate the help. The more information I have, the better the service visit results will be.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.