2008 XLR-V Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2008 XLR-V Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 2008 black XLR-V from a relative, it only has 14,000 miles on it and I love ...
    awaterworld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXV - 2008 XLR V-Series

2008 XLR-V Problems

I just bought a 2008 black XLR-V from a relative, it only has 14,000 miles on it and I love it. The only problem she told me it ever had was with the top closing once. I have had it 3 weeks:
    1) the top has gotten stuck with the trunk lid up already 3 times.
    2) Would not start after sitting overnight "no fob's found"
    3) While waxing it I noticed inside the left front headlight that the little clear plastic cover over the yellow turn signal bulb was just laying inside the headlamp assy.

Take it to dealer, and they have to order a new headlamp assy. While waiting for the headlamp to come in:
    4) The left rear tail lamp has a row of led's that at the top that face the left side of the car, they were giving a laser light show each time they came on for about 5 mins,, and then just quit working.

The car just started "starting" ok so so far so good, I take it to dealer today to get the ordered headlamp installed and to show them the tail lamp issue, while waiting in the service line (inside) one of the service writers comes up and starts looking at my car ("first one she has seen yet"),, so I show it to her and show her how cool the top is,, only of course the deck lid opens and the flaps behind headrest,, and nothing else. You could hear motors trying to move something,, but deck lid was stuck in air with top still in place. Perfect! So they drive the car away across the parking lot to service with the deck lid sticking up in the air.
    Hour later it comes back with top down, (all they could get it to do) and as I did not want to wait for 3 more hours to have them check it or install the headlamp I came in for, I left while they ordered the tail lamp. So I drove home with top down in 59 degree weather and parked it in my garage, and of course the top went back up perfectly. So now it sits again waiting for a headlamp and a tail lamp,, and I am afraid to use the top at all. I have had zero issues with me Escalade,, was buying an XLR-V (for a gazillion dollars) a big mistake???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

harrower is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS XLR-V SRX

Re: 2008 XLR-V Problems

You need to find a Cadillac Dealer with an experienced XLR Tech.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I would like to speak with you about your vehicle if I could. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

awaterworld, where are you?
    I can probably help you get those issues resolved.
    I work on them on a regular basis.

If you are local (or even close) to our area bring it by.

awaterworld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXV - 2008 XLR V-Series

I am in south east Michigan,, where are you?

thanks!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Alexandria, VA.
    Just across the river from DC.

I think that would be quite a drive.

Here is what you do though. If you can remember or the next time it does it tell me the exact position of the following components right when it stops.

The 3 piece front Tonneau panels... is the center piece up or down?
    The folding top (roof) itself... is it open (in the trunk) or closed (latched to the windshield)?
    The rear tonneau panel... this is the piece that moves foreward and aft on the trunk lid itself. Is it forward or back?
    Also tell me if you are opening the roof or closing it.

There are 3 position sensors that have a tendency to fail and I can tell which one is bad by the positions of the panels in a given cycle.
    I fix them all the time.
    Also let your dealer know there is a TSB to ease the sensor diagnostics so this doesn't happen so soon again. Be sure they have programmed it with the latest software.
    I can get you the TSB number.

The "fob not detected" can be a tricky issue.
    First make sure you have new batteries in the remotes. If you put the transmitter in your right pants pocket, you might try moving it on your person. Often there is a small dead zone around the console where the antennas won't pick up the transmitter. If it won't detect the fob anywhere in the vehicle be sure to use the special slot in the glove box. This is designed to read the transmitter even if the batteries are totally dead. They are CR 2032 batteries and should read 3.0 Volts at least or they need replaced.
    I have seen a few with bad receivers but it is pretty rare.

It sounds like the headlight and tail light issues have been dealt with.

If you ever come down here stop by and say hello.
    I have a pretty big clientele of XLR's at my shop and that includes a few of the V's. They really ride a lot nicer than the regular XLR and I like some of the interior options better.
    I have also had to redo a few of those that had "bent" parts and blown hydraulic hoses. Believe me I am very intimate with those cars so please feel free to hit me up with questions anytime.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.