Buying a XLR. Tips? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Buying a XLR. Tips? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by ewill3rd Kooop, if you have any issues with the car just run it by me, I'll tell ...
    Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Re: Buying a XLR. Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Kooop, if you have any issues with the car just run it by me, I'll tell you what to do.
    I probalby work on more of them than anyone in the country.
    I have had some real headaches on them but I have most of it down pat.

They have lots of small issues but only a couple of big ones, and only big in that they cost a lot of money to fix.
    Some are prone to coolant leaks, some check engine lights. They all seem to have top issues now and then but I can usually pin down the source of the problem in less than 5 minutes and fix them in about 20.
    There are other instances but...

Anyway, I'm easy to reach.

Enjoy! Those cars are really nice.
    It's like a Corvette, only you get to keep your teeth!

You get to keep your teeth! LOL, that is soooo true! No whiplash either!

Dad's only owned it for a couple of months, the trunk wouldn't open to allow the top to go up, he had to release it with some key slot. It went to the dealer who claimed to "Reset" the system to the tune of $250. It works great now, but I'd like to know what the reset process was.

Dad's in his 70's, if he gets frustrated with anything I will take you up on your offer.

I can't wait for them to go out of town for the summer, my plan is to "borrow" the car the whole time they're gone.

Thanks

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

There are 3 position sensors on the top that seem to be a fairly common failure.
    When they go out of range the folding top controller does things like prevent the trunk from opening.
    This is mainly to prevent possible damage to a component that might not be in the proper position.
    Usually all you need to do is replace the position sensor and then relearn the sensors.
    A FTCM software package was released a couple years ago to ease the diagnostics on these sensors to reduce fault rates, also I think it doesn't inhibit trunk operation on one of the sensor faults anymore.

jschenke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 XLR

I just purchased a red 2008 XLR and have two questions. The internet says the XLR has a compass and no one at the dealership knows how to turn in own. Any help would be appreciated. I tried the options key and nothing came up about a compass. Second the internet lists a coin holder and does not say where it is located. I found a slot in the arm rest compartment that looks like something should have been attaced, but nothing that looks like a coin holder.

Joe from Chicago

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Joe,

Not sure about a "compass". You mean in the mirror?
    Usually that feature is deleted because you have the nav system. If it had it in the mirror it would have a small black square in the upper right of the mirror but as stated..

The coin holder is a little springloaded 3 plunger deal that slips on to two little bumps in the center compartment.
    You should be able to buy one.
    At least that is how I remember it.
    I could be wrong... but...

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

I am a long time Corvette owner and I am thinking of selling my C5 convertible and buying an 08 or 09 V. I plan to keep this car for a long time

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

My Dad says he liked the C5 better than the XLR, not because of the power he just prefers the Vette. The XLR is awfully nice IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.