Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Change light bulbs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How do I change the back-up and license plate bulbs. Is is a major challenge. Specific directions would be greatly ...
Tools Needed: Trim Removal Tool
Xtra retainers; these things are a PITA to get out and break easily. Luckily, they're cheap and plentiful at most dealers.
Back-up Lamp Replacement:
1) Raise the rear decklid.
2) Remove the rear compartment inner rat fur trim panel (using the trim removal tool.)
3) Disconnect the trim panel electrical connector.
4) Disconnect the electrical connector from the back-up lamp assembly wiring harness inside the rear compartment decklid.
5) Remove the (looks like 6) plastic wing nuts attaching the back-up lamp (bezel assembly) to the rear compartment.
6) Remove the back-up lamp assembly (rear bezel) from the rear compartment lid.
7) Remove the back-up lamp socket from the back-up lamp by depressing the locking tab and rotating the lamp CCW.
License Lamp Bulb Replacement:
8) Access the license lamp bulb/sockets (2) from the back of the rear compartment decklid.
9) Rotate the bulb/socket CCW.
10) Reverse the procedure to get it all back together. There are no torque specs.
If you haven't done it yet, while you're back there, why not add one of the few mods GM made available for the XLR? There's a genuine rat fur monogrammed XLR rear tonneau trim panel available. P/N 19169562. It's $116.48 (MSRP is $160) from gmpartsdirect.com. It even comes with a complete set of extra trim fasteners! Here's a link with a pic (under accessories) http://www.cadillac.com/xlrPlatinum/gallery/
Do you mean the Rear Tonneau liner with the big, silver "XLR," wreath and crest on it? Definately a must-have and one of the few factory mods available for your XLR. And don't forget the Corsa exhaust!