How hot is too hot?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, How hot is too hot? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2006 XLR sometimes will get up to about 230-240. Is this too hot and is it normal? I've read ...
    jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How hot is too hot?

My 2006 XLR sometimes will get up to about 230-240. Is this too hot and is it normal? I've read some reviews on the XLRs and this seems to be a common problem. The temp is usually pretty low maybe in the 180-190 range normally. If I'm doing mountain driving in slow traffic where my speed is under 50 mph and the outside temp is over 85 it starts running hot. I never saw the temp warning but 230+ just seems too hot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Re: How hot is too hot?

What city are you driving it in? whats the outside temp?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

If you are going slow the temps will get up to that range. The thermostat opens at 180-ish, the fans (without a/c) don't come on until about 225-ish.
    On a steep grade the engine is working hard and in slow traffic it will be pretty much the same.
    I have seen a few fans go bad though so if you are really concerned have the fan operation checked.

jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This was on a recent trip to Tahoe and Reno NV. I was driving south from Oregon and there are several long grades around Mt. Shasta where the freeway was down to one lane. Also from Virgina City to Reno it got up to 230-240. The outside temp was about 97 on the freeway and the temp kept climbing until I got to the top of the grade. The needle was almost at the mark midway between 220 and 260. It seemed that it surely would have overheated if the grade had lasted much longer.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

There are a few places like that where it is unavoidable. I drove through Death Valley one time and it was 113 degrees outside. It is a long grade like that and cars were lined up on the shoulder trying to cool down.
    I even had issues driving up into Denver in cooler weather because of some of the grades.
    Keep an eye on it during normal driving.
    Extreme situations like that make it hard to judge what the car should do because that kind of a load really pushes those system to their limits.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Smile Re: How hot is too hot?

Your car is operating as expected. Too hot is when the fan duty cycle is @ 100% and the coolant temperature still climbs.

The cooling fan duty cycle begins when the coolant temp reaches 187, and ramps up to 100% at 235 degrees. Above an oil temp of 302, the fan is commanded to high speed, the same applies when the transmission oil temperature reaches 270 degrees. When the vehicle is shut down, if the engine coolant temperature is >235, the fan will go to 50% (low) speed; if the temperature drops to <230, the fan shuts off. The fan will automatically shut off after 2 minutes regardless of temperature when the vehicle is shut down.

CCC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.