New wheels and tires installed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, New wheels and tires installed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After two long months, I finally have my new tires and wheels mounted on my 06 XLR-V. Forgeline SP3S 20" ...
    deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

New wheels and tires installed

After two long months, I finally have my new tires and wheels mounted on my 06 XLR-V.

Forgeline SP3S 20" 3-piece wheels... hidden hardware, chrome, with
    break-away stems, and internal TPMS brackets.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/pe...ries/sp3s.html

They were spec'ed and ordered by D3 for me while keeping in mind that I may do a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear brake upgrade. So the offsets and such were set to make room for them in the future.

255/35/20 front and 285/30/20 rear Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-ps2/

I wanted the widest possible tire in the rear since I've been having issues keeping the tires from spinning when driving aggressively. the 285's fit just fine (and there maybe room for a little more )

SureValve break-away stems:

http://www.hcwsinc.com/gallery.htm

I was initially concerned that the ride would be harsher moving from the 19" to the 20" tires, but moving from run-flats to non-run-flats took care of that... in fact, I think that these new tires ride better and quieter than those Pirelli's that come OE (and the wet traction was terrible as well).

I guess the only downside is that I now have to carry a plug-kit and air-pump incase I get a flat.

Photos below (car is a bit dirty ):

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BTW, make sure you remove the clips...

I forgot to mention... when bolting on aftermarket wheels, you must remove the retaining clips that hold the brake rotors in place. They are placed on there during the build process at the plant to keep the rotors from falling off during assembly. There should be two per rotor at all four corners - they may not be there if your car has been serviced and they had to remove the clips to fix a problem.

What the clips look like (I shot it after half removing it so its easier to see):

The stock wheels have a little cutout for them, but aftermarket wheels don't and will cause your new tires and wheels will not seat correctly and they'll probably behave like they're out of balance.

What the back of stock wheels look like to accomomdate the clips:

Additionally, the TPM sensors for 05+ XLR's must use an RF tool to trigger them for the car to learn its position. If you want to buy one, the least expensive one I found that will work is the ATEQ VT10 for about $100. I ended up finding a local shop that had one and they took care of it for me. The process looks like this:

Wheel Locks

I got paranoid that I might get my new wheels/tires stolen - in fact, I had a nightmare that my V was on blocks after a day of shopping...

I did some research and ended buying some Gorilla Guard locking lug nuts... they have a spinning sleeve to stop thieves from using those lug nut removal tools (I've learned that such thefts are common and the regular locking lug nuts don't stand a chance against those tools.)

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.guard.locks

I've already ordered a backup spare key in case something happens to the one it came with.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: New wheels and tires installed

Word on the street is that those same thieves will break a window because they believe the lug nut key is inside vehicle.

Life is tough.

Re: New wheels and tires installed

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    Word on the street is that those same thieves will break a window because they believe the lug nut key is inside vehicle.

Life is tough.
    Ya - since the XLR doesn't have a spare, there's no reason to keep the key in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.