Window Falls Off!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Window Falls Off!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That is dissapointing and really disturbing. I know I'm going to say a thing or two here that may upset ...
    fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Window Falls Off!!

That is dissapointing and really disturbing. I know I'm going to say a thing or two here that may upset some people, but I think you'll understand why. Here it goes.......

Cadillac, lets be honest, hasn't held a candle to Mercedes in decades. Up untill last year, when someone wanted a 2 seat roadster, they didn't even stop at a Cadillac dealership. Suffice it to say that Cadillac released the XLR so they would have a car to contend directly with the Mercedes 500SL. I have been impressed - untill I just read this thread. I can understand electronic glitches, the keyless ignition system malfunctioning, even the roof not opening or closing...... but a window falling off? That's just plain pathetic. It's unacceptable for a car in this class and price. And its stuff like this that's going to keep people apprehensive about buying Detroit built stuff when they see a window falling out on a 75k car. People have been bashing GM for years because of stuff like this, and most people (myself included) thought just mabe they actually turned a corner and are building quality products. If I sound too critical its because I am. I thought the CTS was a real BMW 3 series fighter, and I still think I do. That's why I joined this site to see what people are saying about them. I still like it, but when I read about stuff like this window, it just adds another question to GM's real integrity on quality.

ben72227 is offline Banned

Cool Re: Window Falls Off!!

Cadillac, lets be honest, hasn't held a candle to Mercedes in decades. Up untill last year, when someone wanted a 2 seat roadster, they didn't even stop at a Cadillac dealership. Suffice it to say that Cadillac released the XLR so they would have a car to contend directly with the Mercedes 500SL. I have been impressed - untill I just read this thread. I can understand electronic glitches, the keyless ignition system malfunctioning, even the roof not opening or closing...... but a window falling off? That's just plain pathetic. It's unacceptable for a car in this class and price. And its stuff like this that's going to keep people apprehensive about buying Detroit built stuff when they see a window falling out on a 75k car. People have been bashing GM for years because of stuff like this, and most people (myself included) thought just mabe they actually turned a corner and are building quality products. If I sound too critical its because I am. I thought the CTS was a real BMW 3 series fighter, and I still think I do. That's why I joined this site to see what people are saying about them. I still like it, but when I read about stuff like this window, it just adds another question to GM's real integrity on quality.
    Mercedes isn't perfect either. From what i've heard they have horrible electric problems. And we all know that GM ****ed up in the 80s and even into the early 90s. But they're trying to make a comeback. The Chevrolet "Revolution" and the new Cadillacs (XLR, STS, CTS, etc.) are all examples of that.

Probably what happened is that the guy on the assembly line was incompetent and didn't put enough glue on or any glue for that matter. It could have been the owner; windows get knocked out sometimes. Regardless, unless this isn't an isolated incident, there's no need to go bashing on GM and Cadillac. Don't preach to the choir....

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Lets also remember that this is GM/Cadillac's first shot a roadster, a 75-80 thousand dollar car... Cadillac went from its mid range quallity standings to something thats expected to be top notch, very quickly... making a high quallity car is not going to happen right away. That window piece was probably just badly designed or put on the drawing board at last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG
    Lets also remember that this is GM/Cadillac's first shot a roadster, a 75-80 thousand dollar car... Cadillac went from its mid range quallity standings to something thats expected to be top notch, very quickly... making a high quallity car is not going to happen right away. That window piece was probably just badly designed or put on the drawing board at last minute.

I have a hard time accepting excuses for something like this. When you put that kind of cash on a car, you expect exemplary quality. GM should know that when they entered this class, they not only entered it based on vehicle type, but also reputation. If they weren't 150% sure they could build every XLR as solid as a 500SL, mabe they should have stopped to think about it. Yes, Mercedes has had some quality issues themselves, but they are mostly with their SUVs and low end models. The cars they are known for (55CLK, 500SL, S600, etc) still recieve high marks in quality and reliability.

Cadillac isn't playing with the little boys anymore, they are in the ring with the men and they have to show they can handle it.

1_XLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 XLR-V

13000 miles
    haven't lost any windows yet
    Attached Images

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Nice picture 1 XLR but how about this one!

A minor correction to someone's earlier post. The Allante sold between $55k and $65k depending on model year. It also had a $1,700 Gas Guzzler tax added to it.

I suppose with state taxes and license fees added to the MSRP some Allantes went out the door for over $70,000 And that was 10 years ago! In today's $$$ that would probably exceed $80,000!

Until the XLR was introduced this year it was the highest priced (MSRP) regular production Cadillac ever built by Cadillac.

Nowadays you can find Allante's used from a few thousand $$$ to in the mid-$20k range. If they have been well cared for over the years and all the bugs worked out (which by now they usually are) then I find them to be exceptional bargins for a luxury sports car.

Everyone I know that owns one continues to rave about their performance, comfort, looks, roominess, but especially their handling.

..rickko..

ben72227 is offline Banned

oh....the allante...

Those are some of the best Italian-made Cadillacs you will ever find

Stace is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Allante, 98 Eldorado, 03 Seville

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG

I beg to differ regarding "GM/Cadillac"'s first attempt at a roadster...
    The Corvette has been around for 51 years and it is and always has been available in the Roadster form factor. The Cadillac Allante (1987 through 1993) was most certainly a roadster in the same price range (adjusted for inflation). The XLR is built on the same platform as the '05 Corevette. The only thing really "new" is the retracting mechanism for the hard top.

Finally, I suspect you would be surprised at the number of places that adhesives are used to fasten various components together. It has been the primary fastener for glass components for years.

My problem with the XLR isn't in the use of adhesives ... it's the way it stows the top ... not even enough room for a golf bag. I'll keep my Allante for a bit longer.

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by Stace
    My problem with the XLR is... the way it stows the top ... not even enough room for a golf bag. ...
    Golf bags? Are you kidding?

There isn't even enough room for average woman's purse!

You can tell it was built for men, because there is enough room for a shaving kit.

To be balanced and fair, you can't put a set of golf clubs in a Lexus SC430 either. But you CAN fit a womans purse in the trunk with the top down. In fact, it has a make-believe rear seat as well.

..rickko..

Quote Originally Posted by Stace
    The Cadillac Allante (1987 through 1993) was most certainly a roadster in the same price range (adjusted for inflation).

While the Allante is a two seat convertable which you can call a roadster, it really wasn't a world class contender. Sure it had sharp Itallian styling and it was loaded to the hilt with the latest technology (some stuff like redundant headlamp circuits are a bit overboard, but neat I guess), but it was front wheel drive, had an anemic drivetrain (untill the Northstar, the 4100 and 4500 engines were pathetic for a car in this class), and assembly and fit and finish were very sub-par (back when GM used the same plastic for Cadillacs as they did for Cavaliers, only molded in different shapes).

To say the Allante was unique and had character would be true. But it was never in a class of serious classic roadsters.

LacOnVogues is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In regards to your window falling off...

You didn't contact Onstar and tell them your keys were locked in, did you?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by LacOnVogues
    In regards to your window falling off...

You didn't contact Onstar and tell them your keys were locked in, did you?
    LMAO!!!

Uhh really guys... I JUST saw this. This is NOT good. I guarantee you someone at GM World HQ is gonna find out about this, and I can only HOPE whoever had the smart idea of sticking a window on with adhesive is dealt with properly. I just cant even imagine, I CAN NOT IMAGINE someone APPROVING a design that has an OBVIOUS point of failure like this, on a car that is supposed to raise the bar for the company. This is literally equivolent to me losing a customers data, because "I forgot to back it up" (I work in a backup and storage role). AND THEY BOTH CAME OFF! I mean for all of eternity the biggest joke in the car industry has been the proverbial "It fell off" addage. Electrical probs? Yep, all the big guys have those, Mech. Probs? Those too, but Windows FALLING OFF can not be defended by any form of logic.

I have ALOT I could say... but Im gonna keep it nice

The Allante, by the way, was just about there when it came to world class. I regard it as one of the best Cadillac's ever, and would gladly own one if I could find one cheap enough.

Anyway... I would strongly suggest that the rest of you examine your wing windows by applying a small amount of pressure to each one, BEING CAREFUL of course not to break it or FORCE it off. I would imagine that just because they are still on, does not mean they arent barely being held on there.

kg7yc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

All right guys. First thanks to my son dnehthend for posting the picture of my XLR's wing window coming off. We knew you all would find it amusing. Truth is I took it down to the dealer for a top adjustment (it was manufactured 9/03) and they managed to pull it off after tugging on it to make it move without using the button. There is a way to move it manually but involves a complex procedure involving several steps. They chose the gorilla method. It is unlikely they will just pop off.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Didn`t had any window problems with mine, but I heard at the plant in bowling green that under the first production-models (around 9/03) this on a few cars happened.

Harry

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by kg7yc
    All right guys. First thanks to my son dnehthend for posting the picture of my XLR's wing window coming off. We knew you all would find it amusing. Truth is I took it down to the dealer for a top adjustment (it was manufactured 9/03) and they managed to pull it off after tugging on it to make it move without using the button. There is a way to move it manually but involves a complex procedure involving several steps. They chose the gorilla method. It is unlikely they will just pop off.
    Well this makes a little more sense I guess. Also, this now puts it squarely in the dealers court, they better fix it RIGHT.

On a side note... I love your "Hummer H1 (A real one!)" reference... SOO True!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.