Is there anyway to add Remote Start to an ('04) XLR?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Is there anyway to add Remote Start to an ('04) XLR? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'd love to hear anyone's experience with remote start for the XLR. All the after-market people I've checked with seem ...
    Weston Anderson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Is there anyway to add Remote Start to an ('04) XLR?

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with remote start for the XLR. All the after-market people I've checked with seem to think they can do it, but "upon further checking," they decide they can't. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Re: Is there anyway to add Remote Start to an ('04) XLR?

I haven't heard of anyone employing an XLR remote start capability.

Three things have to happen: 1) The vehicle needs to interrogate a fob in close proximity. 2) The vehicle needs to detect the brake is being depressed (not hard to do using a remotely-activated relay.) 3) The START button needs to be enabled (also easy, see #2.) The problem lies with the fob's method of communicating with the vehicle. The proximity requirement negates the remote requirement.

All is not lost. I suppose you could leave a fob in the glovebox pocketslot and use a remote to enable the brake depressed and START switches, but that means you would have to disable the "fob in car" reminder, which I find useful, since getting locked out of this car is a real PITA. Here's some more fob 101 info:

The XLR has several interior and exterior antennas to detect the presence of a fob. When the driver's door switch is pressed, the XLR transmits a DO NOT RESPOND signal to any fob located inside. This is called the SLEEP command. The SLEEP command temporarily commands any interior fobs not to respond to the door antennas. The SLEEP command is used in case someone is sitting in a locked vehicle with a valid fob, so that the the fob inside the vehicle doesn't allow a door to open from the outside handle switch. (Stalker disable.) When the SLEEP command terminates, the driver's door antenna activates so it will detect a fob on the exterior of the driver's door. If a valid fob is detected, the door is unlocked. When the START switch is depressed, the antennas are activated to detect the presence of a valid fob. If detected, the ignition sequence is permitted.

I hope this is of some help to you.
    CCC

Cliff8928 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V - XLR

Speedbump is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Yes there is

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Someone recently did it...

Directechs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Yes, this video is of a 2006 XLR successfully done at our facility last night using a Viper 5301 remote start and keyless entry system.

deadringer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Modified 06 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Directechs View Post
    Yes, this video is of a 2006 XLR successfully done at our facility last night using a Viper 5301 remote start and keyless entry system.
    Any details on what modules were used? (I recently self-installed a 5901 in my '05 GMC Denali) Rumor had it that the Vette and XLR were cars to avoid in the past.

Directechs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
    Any details on what modules were used? (I recently self-installed a 5901 in my '05 GMC Denali) Rumor had it that the Vette and XLR were cars to avoid in the past.
    It was installed using an 1101T module with a spare remote programmed to the car. The rumors WERE true, where these cars were not recommended because there wasn't a reliable way to mimic what happens when the car is started and stopped by a live person. Recent functionality changes in our systems and a resurrected interest in getting these cars done made the once impossible now possible.

It certainly wasn't a car for the novice installer and is totally different than most cars out there as far as installing a remote starter goes, but it is certainly doable now.

The spare remote is only powered up during remote start only, so the vehicle doesn't unlock unless the owner is nearby with the other remote. If some one breaks into the car, the car will shut down upon a door opening, or if the brake is pressed. If the unlock button is pressed on the Viper remote, then the owner can open the door and drive the car without having to shut it down and re-start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.