Whys the CTS-V better than the XLR, and 20K cheaper?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Whys the CTS-V better than the XLR, and 20K cheaper?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by fastball But if I did have to choose one, the XLR of course. It's sleek, soooooo good ...
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Whys the CTS-V better than the XLR, and 20K cheaper??

Quote Originally Posted by fastball
    But if I did have to choose one, the XLR of course. It's sleek, soooooo good looking, keyless operation is freakin cool, and the convertable top is shared by only one other car in the world - SL500. So the XLR's uniqueness sells it for me alone.
    The self-folding hardtop convertible isn't unique to Mercedes and Cadillac anymore. It seems like everyone is going that direction lately. Hell, even the Chevy SSR has one.

That said, the XLR is a beautiful car. It is the car Art&Science design was created for and is the spiritual descendent of the Evoq concept. The interior is the nicest one that any American car company has ever produced and even very few european models are superior to it (and none that are even close to it's price).

As nice as the CTS-V is, it's still a CTS with a Corvette underpinning. The XLR is a Corvette that's been moved up in class.
    The CTS-V is a CTS with a Corvette drivetrain. It's underpinnings are still Sigma (and very little changed from the base model). A CTS could not ride on the Corvette chassis and have anywhere near the handling it has now. The Sigma is superior to the Performance car architecture that Corvette uses in just about every way. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with using such a layout on cars the size of the Corvette or XLR, because it performs excellently there. But it can not be adapted to other applications because of limitations in it's design.

My only disappointment with the XLR is that it didn't use the Sigma platform that the Evoq sat on. With the performance car architecture the XLR is amazing. With the Sigma it would have been legendary. Watch a CTS-V carve through a racetrack with minimal to no bodyroll and imagine what would happen if that same platform were applied to a car with a lighter weight and better distribution. Like I said, legendary.

Platform quibbles aside, I would choose an XLR over a CTS-V if I were looking for a sports car though. The CTS-V has performance in spades, but the XLR is only a few ticks off in a much nicer package (provided you only need two seats). In design terms, it is today's '59 Eldorado. It defines Cadillac in the present day.

jerseyvette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by highonchai
    So i hope im not the only one whos noticed this but why is the CTS-V better than the XLR and 20K cheaper?? Just paying for the styling/top right??
    Comparison:
    XLR - CTS-V
    Price approx: 76,200 - 51,195
    0-60: 5.8sec - 5.2sec
    1/4 mile: 14.2sec - 13.7sec
    Top Spd.: 157mph - 163mph
    Braking 70-0: 182ft - 165ft
    Road hold: .88g - .90g

So whats the deal? Trust me i LOVE the XLR but when the CTS-V can beat it... Why? Does this say that Caddillac has big plans for the XLR?? maybe dual turbo One can only hope, it seems to me that Caddy should take their roadster and beef it out in the next couple model years.
    I drove a CTS V and it was a really bad _ss car. Just unlimited power and you can scare the heck out of your passengers with the acceleration. The car is a limited production of a mass produced CTS. Very awesome.

As Bret Said the CTS V and XLR are aimed at two different segments of the market. IMO the XLR is very expensive. I actually toured the Bowilng Green plant when the XLR tooling was being set up last year. The Corvette is a very special and exclusive car by itself. What I like about XLR is that it come loaded and is in the ultra exclusive category. I saw a black one on the highway last week and it was really impressive looking from far away. What striked me as very exotic ws the XLR's flat, low and long hood line. the rear end (with top up) also appreas to look like a european exotic car (like a maserati-ish/ferrari type of car). The XLR is a car that is definately on my "gotta have" list! This stems from past Vette ownership and how I really appreciate all the bells, exotic wood and whistles XLR has like the power hard top!

rushguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think the XLR is simply beautiful, when they up the hp and add a manual I would definitely consider buying one.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Just wait until xlrv comes out. It will be different.
    Within the last month or so, GM defunded the 'super' CTS-V project... but work continues on the XLR-V...

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Both are truly great rides. But for Eye catching "what is that" responses, XLR is the hands down winner. For speed, the CTS V is a total sleeper (for those who dont recognize the badge) that sends euros and rice buggies tucking there heads and running for the drive through.

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

that's exactly right. cts-v was a sleeper made for speed. the xlr has the flash.

tdogg5184 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS, 2009 Escalade ESV

I would agree with the statments made above as well, thats why my 26k (when new) Camaro is a whole lot faster than my 55k STS, 62k Escalade. Speed isnt everything but it sure is fun. Nothing like a 13 sec quarter mile, the LS1/LS6 is an amazing engine. It is just two very different markets.

standby is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Road & Track people have some pretty good ears and they are saying 440HP for the late 2005 XLR-V. I have my deposit in hand and trading a under powered Platnium 2004 XLR.
    I have three questions before I plunk down $$$$
    How much more for the V?
    Improvements?---Like new colors, heat around the console, better navigation system. ETC
    Will it come in a six speed automatic? R&T says yes.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Look at the options for the STS-V. The XLR will come packaged the same way.
    6 speed auto, 440hp SC N*, minor interior upgrades, that amazing exterior they have been showing, etc.

No price announced yet, but I wouldn't expect the price to be below $80k so they can differentiate it from the base XLR. Also expect dealer markups to place it very near 6 figures if you plan to be an early adopter...

The performance will definately make C6 owners cry (just stay away from the Z06 badged ones).

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    The [XLR-V] performance will definately make C6 owners cry (just stay away from the Z06 badged ones).
    ... and my unbadged free-breathing supercharged/intercooled wheel-hopping (oops!) CTS-V.

-- Jerry

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.