XLR Radio Performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, XLR Radio Performance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I purchased a 2005 XLR, with 4K miles last month. Its XM antenna was still in box; and I had ...
    jcdonahu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2006; XLR 2005

Question XLR Radio Performance

I purchased a 2005 XLR, with 4K miles last month. Its XM antenna was still in box; and I had dealer install it and replace OnStar with new digital system. XM audio is significantly weaker than FM/others; I have to remember to turn down volume before changing from XM to FM, for fear I'll blow out the speakers. FM reception is weak - in/out for nearby stations - where I didn't remember it to be before the installations. I thought might be related to installation. I left with dealer on Friday, only to have it returned with a note and an attached GM Bulletin 1837884 saying, "this is a normal characteristic of the system" on 2004-6 XLR and 2005-6 Corvette. I don't know if the tech checked the recent installations at all. It seems incredible that such system performance would be "normal." (It's not normal on our STS or Chevy pickup.) I've searched XLR forums without finding any reference. Is this typical of radios in your XLRs? Appreciate any info or recommendations. . . John D, Weatherford, TX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2007slade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: XLR Radio Performance

dunerider is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 2005 is the same as yours in the xm department only mine was in it when purchased new. when switching from fm/cd/dvd to xm the audio is terrible, really sucks. I dont really care for the xm any way and have sirrius in other cars, i have even taken my sirrius from my pickup which works off of a fm transmitter and ran it in my xlr through the fm and it sounded way better than the stock xm radio. just my 2 cents!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Sadly, it is normal.
    It is particularly noticeable on XLR. It actually has to do with the input and output level matching on the receiver and the radio. As far as I can tell it wasn't done properly and there is a really noticeable difference as you can see.
    You can make adjustments on the audio controls to help it but you can't get rid of it.
    It is not related to the installation or anything your dealer did.

I have talked to the Brand Quality Manager for this carline about this issue. Short of GM spending oodles of money redesigning and replacing the radio there is nothing you can do and I wouldn't count on them doing that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.