Volant cool air system??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Volant cool air system?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone!! My first post here! I have a 2005 XLR in Crimson Red. I was wondering whether any of ...
    ///AMG55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Volant cool air system??

Hi everyone!!
    My first post here!
    I have a 2005 XLR in Crimson Red. I was wondering whether any of you installed this system? How you felt about it, performance wise etc. There aren't many intake options for the XLR.

Thanks.

Ladi

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jetboyphx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 EXT, 76 Coupe DeVille, 73 Coupe DeVille

Re: Volant cool air system??

I got tired of waiting on the Volant and went with the one from Lund Cadillac in Phoenix. They had been doing theirs for a couple of years and it does have larger K&N filters. I know one Volant owner who had a problem with his coming loose since the smaller filters doen't give it much support. If Volant had gone with a true cool air box design then that would have been the way to go. I already had an aftermarket exhaust installed, the the intake did make a difference both in hp and intake sound.

Lola's Mom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

Hi JetBoy ... glad you posted your system... Ray wanted me to PM you and ask what it was you had. Also loved hearing the difference btw your exhaust system and the Corsa / be flattered yours is awesome ........ I see a lot of familiar names on this forum....

Hi Ruth, you and Ray will need to come over and visit so he can get the intake and exhaust installed. Thanks on the sound. I was lucky, I live by Lund and they sell a lot of XR's. The day I went to check on the exhaust they had one in the service bay they had just taken in trade with their exhuast, one with a custom Borla and one the lot in front a couple of Corsa's so I got to hear them all and drive a couple of different examples.

Vinh downloaded the pictures form Bowling Green today. I will send you some photos soon.

Lola's Mom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XLR

We will take you up on your offer. Any excuse to drive the car! I cannot get the "sound" of your car off of my mind! Shhhh, don't tell Ray .... I ordered the chrome grill ... I ordered it for HIS birthday ..... for MY car .... what a gal, huh? Next are the tires ..... your's are so impressive .... you should post a picture on this site ... if you don't have one, I do! I took it at the BG meet. I am really liking those rims that Cadillac displayed at the Park & Shine, the one's with the wreath and crest ........ first I have to get Ray to WORK a few more days per month while I research what we need! Looking forward to the pictures.

Jetboyphx could you post some pics of your intake and exhaust setup???

CoolAir is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is the Volant System. I am interested to see what the others look like?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ///AMG55 View Post
    Jetboyphx could you post some pics of your intake and exhaust setup???
    Here is the intake and the tip portion of the exhaust.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboyphx View Post
    Here is the intake and the tip portion of the exhaust.

Wow that exhaust tip is sweet lookin!!! I dont even have a clue as too what it sounds like but I want one! Reminds me of what Chip Foose did to one of these for SEMA awhile back. Big rims, two tone paint, stainless roof, body kit etc etc. Especially that one piece exhaust!!!

Just from these pics on this forum your filters look way bigger then the Volant ones. Interesting. How much did the intake setup cost you Jetboy? Any noticeable difference in fuel consumption during daily driving with just the intake and stock exhaust?

Thanks

Chip Foose did that XLR for Lund in Phoenix. http://www.lundcadillac.com/Accessories33_13.cfm that is what they based this production tip on but the production one is a bit less edgy. You can buy just the tip or full cat back. I got the full system. The sound is deeper than a Corsa and less cabin drone. The only time I get drone in the cabin is at 1,500 rpm and it is not much. The intake was $450 installed I believe. They negotiate on accessory prices so be prepared. Exhaust was jsut a bit over the price of a Corsa system installed. I had the exhaust installed right after I bought it but since adding the intake a year later I'm not seeing any difference in mpg that I can attribute directly to the intake. I got 25.5 on the roundtrip to Bowling Green and back which was mostly highway driving at 10-30 miles over the limit.

This is the intake that just went on the Vette today, I would prefer this set up on the XLR http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-3...ke-system.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboyphx View Post
    Chip Foose did that XLR for Lund in Phoenix. http://www.lundcadillac.com/Accessories33_13.cfm that is what they based this production tip on but the production one is a bit less edgy. You can buy just the tip or full cat back. I got the full system. The sound is deeper than a Corsa and less cabin drone. The only time I get drone in the cabin is at 1,500 rpm and it is not much. The intake was $450 installed I believe. They negotiate on accessory prices so be prepared. Exhaust was jsut a bit over the price of a Corsa system installed. I had the exhaust installed right after I bought it but since adding the intake a year later I'm not seeing any difference in mpg that I can attribute directly to the intake. I got 25.5 on the roundtrip to Bowling Green and back which was mostly highway driving at 10-30 miles over the limit.

This is the intake that just went on the Vette today, I would prefer this set up on the XLR http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-3...ke-system.aspx
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Although I promised myself that i wouldn't modify this car. I don't think I can stop. I have the bug. So I'm probably going to settle for the Volant kit. I live in Jersey so im not exactly sure how I would go about ordering the Lund kit. And the volant kit seems to be a bargain at around 300.

This Kit was built on the Dyno, No Home Depot sh*t , not that's a bad thing. But check out the angles on the duct and each filter flows 500 CFM's. The car might need from 6 to 8 best case. But more goodies might demand more! Anyone can weld 3"or 4" pipe at an angle? Then send to a chromer! If you want bigger filters, no prob! If you want louder exhaust, I always use a screw driver punched into the stock muffler!

We are here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolAir View Post
    This Kit was built on the Dyno, No Home Depot sh*t , not that's a bad thing. But check out the angles on the duct and each filter flows 500 CFM's. The car might need from 6 to 8 best case. But more goodies might demand more! Anyone can weld 3"or 4" pipe at an angle? Then send to a chromer! If you want bigger filters, no prob! If you want louder exhaust, I always use a screw driver punched into the stock muffler!

We are here to help!
    Bad day at the office?

Your Right! My Bad! My attempt at humor?

Lots of choices! Some good some bad.

My 2 cents.

Volant it seems will be my final choice. Stick around for the review!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.