2004 xlr possible problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2004 xlr possible problems? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just put 41K down yesterday on a 19K perfect looking in and out red 04 XLR. DRove it the day ...
    rufcar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 09 CTS and 97 Seveille STS recently sold a XLR

2004 xlr possible problems?

Just put 41K down yesterday on a 19K perfect looking in and out red 04 XLR. DRove it the day before seemed perfect. Then a huge storm came tru 2.5" rain in and hr! Went to get the car 2 days later trunk would not open. Put it in there service dept and saw the rear sunken hydro pump area all wet. Needed new module. I read a long list of elect repair and other things when I purchased the car. Even saw it was a GM buy back. The buy back did not scare me because the previous owner said the transaxel, and HVAC did not work? and the s eat frame was broken. The current owner a buick dealer had the car for his wife and those ites never needed work. I guess since he had buy back ins. he just wanted out. Do I need to be concerned about other potential problems due to all that moisture in that sunkin area? I told there mech. to dry it out pull all plugs apart clean use elect greese, replace modual and adj trunk to pull down a bit tighter and then reck for leaks?
    Any thougts would be helpful as car should be done today? Thanks Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: 2004 xlr possible problems?

I would *NEVER* purchase a buy-back XLR. The early XLR's have enough inherent problems of their own to throw in a buy-back on top of that. Dealers will always try to minimize the effect of a buy-back title on a vehicle saying it just "needed a blower motor" or that the trans was replaced etc.

The truth is, for it to have been bought back, there had to be a SUBSTANTIAL problem, or series of problems that kept the car out of commission for 30 calendar days or more, (in some states less). It was a HEADACHE someone wanted to get rid of.

The main things to look out for are problems with the roof hydraulics (the hoses on some are misrouted and can blow and leak hydraulic fluid all over the interior of the car, its impossible to get the stains out), problems with the side vent windows that tend to fall off (they are just on with adhesive), and thats about all Ive heard.

Still, buy-backs are just asking for trouble. I had a 2001 STS buyback, also with LOW miles (26k) in 2003 and I dumped it, it was full of problems. You have to ask yourself what caused someone to dump a car with such low mileage. If you still can, I would take it back and get a 35-45k mile XLR for 35-45k. Ive seen them as cheap as 36000 with CLEAR titles and no buy back with 43k miles. You could use the difference to buy a good extended warranty (and many extended warranty providers *wont* warranty a buy-back vehicle).

PD4M, Thanks I have a bunch of cars and I am the US Pres of the Rolls Royce Foundation so I appreciate your input. The one difference is the current owner for the past yr has been a Buick Car dealer and he had no probs of note in 4 k miles. I have all of the repair sheets and its the usual elect stuff. Today the mechanic called and said the car went back to the Caddie dealer because the water wiped out the hydo pump. I have an agreement that if the car is not to my liking i get all of my money back since it happened before I drove off the lot! I personally have a RUF car to suit my needs but the wife always wanted a cadie 2 seater. I am in the wait and see mode right now. Thanks again for your honesty. Jim F

Quote Originally Posted by rufcar View Post
    PD4M, Thanks I have a bunch of cars and I am the US Pres of the Rolls Royce Foundation so I appreciate your input. The one difference is the current owner for the past yr has been a Buick Car dealer and he had no probs of note in 4 k miles. I have all of the repair sheets and its the usual elect stuff. Today the mechanic called and said the car went back to the Caddie dealer because the water wiped out the hydo pump. I have an agreement that if the car is not to my liking i get all of my money back since it happened before I drove off the lot! I personally have a RUF car to suit my needs but the wife always wanted a cadie 2 seater. I am in the wait and see mode right now. Thanks again for your honesty. Jim F
    No problem, the dealer was very generous to make that agreement with you, so that gives ALOT of peace of mind. Enjoy the car!

PD4M, After chatting with the caddie mechanic tonight who could not seem to fix the car, I called the dealer and bagged the deal. I was tought there is always another deal! So keep me posted I saw a nice 05 in VA I might look into. THanks again. If you ever want to know about Rolls ,Bentleys,or Porsches Im the guy. So with xlrs its you!!! Jim

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The XLR has an inherent water leak condition I have found near the driver's side upper rear quarter where the top meets the quarter panel. I have repaired several, and it is not for the average technician....if the technician working on your XLR has not gone to GM specialty school for it, he shouldn't be touching your car. I have worked on XLR's from the beginning, and I can tell you there isn't a roadmap for many repairs on this vehicle. It comes from hands-on repairs. Don't mess around with an amateur or you will be next on the list for a buyback.

Master T! This tech was to XLR school in 04 before he moved to PA and is now at a buick dealer. I have bagged the deal and awaiting my return ck. I found one today and 05 with 11K mi in Owings mills MD for 49K in blue and I cked everything so far looks clean I tend to think that on 05 is a better car than the 04 as is usually the case. I also believe and I may be wrong but I think the xlr's are holding there value better than there Corvette counter parts.
    I will know more on all of this tomorrow but I appreciate all of everyone input. I am the National tech guy with the Rolls club for 34-37 Bentleys and most Rolls or Bentleys from 55 to 85. Its always best to speak to "THE GUY" about any special car. Thanks Jim

Falkolade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3

Master T! This tech was to XLR school in 04 before he moved to PA and is now at a buick dealer. I have bagged the deal and awaiting my return ck. I found one today and 05 with 11K mi in Owings mills MD for 49K in blue and I cked everything so far looks clean I tend to think that on 05 is a better car than the 04 as is usually the case. I also believe and I may be wrong but I think the xlr's are holding there value better than there Corvette counter parts.
    I will know more on all of this tomorrow but I appreciate all of everyone input. I am the National tech guy with the Rolls club for 34-37 Bentleys and most Rolls or Bentleys from 55 to 85. Its always best to speak to "THE GUY" about any special car. Thanks Jim
    no no no... the vette is holding value way better than the xlr... the xlr is a great car to buy used due the the fact it depricates so fast and has a pitiful residual value.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkolade View Post
    no no no... the vette is holding value way better than the xlr... the xlr is a great car to buy used due the the fact it depricates so fast and has a pitiful residual value.
    Thats correct. Part of that is also that the Corvette has a lower MSRP to begin with, and more of a cult following than the XLR.

The Z06 for example is 70-something thousand, for more performance (with less luxury of course) than the XLR-V at 30000.00 less. The regular corvette is about 46000 and the regular XLR is around 70. Theres a little more depreciation just because the price-point is a little higher to begin with.

Hi all, I am now back to the problem car. I have looked and several and when I get the GM list all have had numerious problems repaired. I am just not used to that I have had a doz new chevy SUV types in the last 20 yrs and almost never need dealer attention?
    Anyway the dealer called me about the water damamged car its now all fixed by a cadie dealer and water proofed by a leak expert. The dealer in qusetion will give me the $1,900 gm extended warranty at no charge or all my money back ! This was his wifes car and 4 new tires to boot!
    WELL GUYS TALK TO ME NOW? THANKS JIM

Jetboyphx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 EXT, 76 Coupe DeVille, 73 Coupe DeVille

Hi all, I am now back to the problem car. I have looked and several and when I get the GM list all have had numerious problems repaired. I am just not used to that I have had a doz new chevy SUV types in the last 20 yrs and almost never need dealer attention?
    Anyway the dealer called me about the water damamged car its now all fixed by a cadie dealer and water proofed by a leak expert. The dealer in qusetion will give me the $1,900 gm extended warranty at no charge or all my money back ! This was his wifes car and 4 new tires to boot!
    WELL GUYS TALK TO ME NOW? THANKS JIM
    Is the Warranty GM Certified or GM Extended warranty. I do not believe the extended covers the top while the GM Certified does. If it is certified and you have a Cadillac dealer you trust I would go for it. The worst car I ever owned for breakdowns was a 97 Catera but the service experience was so good I have stuck with Cadillac since. My 05 XLR has had minimal warranty needs.

The cerified one is the one I am trying to get. Thanks for the tip I did not know that the other one did not cover all items. Thats what I like about these sites all the powerful information! Thanks again. Jim

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Diff flavors of warranties.

Make sure:

1. It is GMPP.
    2. It has 0 deductible.
    3. It has loooong life. 48 months, 50k extra miles beyond what is on car right now. Look at the details of the GMPP. Do not take an aftermarket warranty.

Above applies if you buy car. GMPP, new tires (do some homework here; you do not want kmart tires); Have him put brake pads all around and have him change radiator hoses, anti freeze, trans fluid, and rear fluid. Oil too. That might make it a real sweet deal.

Z06, Yes it is the best GM warranty. The tires were brand new Michleins. NOT run flats. But good new expensive. Ill have to live w/o the runflats for now. I haved a family member who used to run a Cadillac agency and says this is the best warranty around. I also have the factory one till next april1 too. Ill need to buy a flat tire spray bottle just in case.
    I did buy the car and have driven it 500 mi so far ! Its my 75 vehicle since I was 15 now 57 and the most fun I have had with a car since. (excluding racing my Porsches! LOL) The wife loves it its her car. We are planning on going on the XLR Bowling Green tour with the guys on this site in Aug too. Thanks for your help. JIm F

Jetboyphx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 EXT, 76 Coupe DeVille, 73 Coupe DeVille

Z06, Yes it is the best GM warranty. The tires were brand new Michleins. NOT run flats. But good new expensive. Ill have to live w/o the runflats for now. I haved a family member who used to run a Cadillac agency and says this is the best warranty around. I also have the factory one till next april1 too. Ill need to buy a flat tire spray bottle just in case.
    I did buy the car and have driven it 500 mi so far ! Its my 75 vehicle since I was 15 now 57 and the most fun I have had with a car since. (excluding racing my Porsches! LOL) The wife loves it its her car. We are planning on going on the XLR Bowling Green tour with the guys on this site in Aug too. Thanks for your help. JIm F
    Look forward to meeting you in Bowling Green. It should be a great event. last years in New Mexico was smaller but loads of fun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.