Price on a New 2006 XLR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Price on a New 2006 XLR in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A local dealer has a sticker price of $64,588 on a new 06 XLR. What do you think of that ...
    JFM94404 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Price on a New 2006 XLR

A local dealer has a sticker price of $64,588 on a new 06 XLR. What do you think of that price? What should I offer? The original sticker price was $77,295. The car has been on their showroom floor for a year.

Also, the dealier is pushing an after-market add-on coating called ResistAll from Cal-Tex Protective Coatings, Inc. In general, I have read over the years that these coatings are not worth the price (in this case, around $1,200) and are just money-makers of the dealers. Anyone know about this one?

Finally, anything you have to say about the extended warranties from GM Protection Plan (from GMAC) would be appreciated. Again, the conventional wisdom seems to be that extended warranties are not advisable, but would like to hear from you on your thoughts.

THANKS IN ADVANCE ....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thomasrtabor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR

Re: Price on a New 2006 XLR

If I were to keep my XLR past factory warranty I would ABSOLUTELY get the extended warranty. My 2005 is in shop again for probably the 10th time as I write this. This time it is because I cannot open the trunk with fob or by pressing the opener at the outside of trunk. Previous problems include driving with top half opened until I could get to the dealer. Also multiple warning lights regarding traction control, tire pressure and on and on. Can't imagine what all these frequent service needs would cost when warranty expires. By the way I now have only 8,000 miles on the car which was leased in April of 2005. Happy that I leased instead of purchased because these service problems will only increase as the car gets older Tom

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

search user Superior Cadillac here, he's a supporting dealer, and can quote you his price.
    coatings are crap, please pass on it unless you like to waste money.
    i dont belive in aftermarket warranties. put the $ you would have spend in the extended warranty in a money market account and by the time you run out of factory warranty, it'll have enough in it to cover any possible expenses. "self-insured"

surburban99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Platinum Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by JFM94404 View Post
    A local dealer has a sticker price of $64,588 on a new 06 XLR. What do you think of that price? What should I offer? The original sticker price was $77,295. The car has been on their showroom floor for a year.

Also, the dealier is pushing an after-market add-on coating called ResistAll from Cal-Tex Protective Coatings, Inc. In general, I have read over the years that these coatings are not worth the price (in this case, around $1,200) and are just money-makers of the dealers. Anyone know about this one?

Finally, anything you have to say about the extended warranties from GM Protection Plan (from GMAC) would be appreciated. Again, the conventional wisdom seems to be that extended warranties are not advisable, but would like to hear from you on your thoughts.

THANKS IN ADVANCE ....
    Due to the age of the car, and the length of time it has been on the dealer's floor plan, I would think he would let it go for at least 20% off the sticker. That would be around $61,800. That car is costing him money everyday in floor plan interest. Not too many people are looking and can afford this car. Make him an insulting offer, start out at $60,000

Thumbs up Re: Price on a New 2006 XLR

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

I made an offer under the asking price but requiring the inclusion of a 7-year extended warranty and the protective coating inside and out wtih a 5-year guarantee and it was accepted (with the usual "we're making no money on this deal" comment -- yeah, right).

I'm now the proud owner of a GREAT car -- with not a single problem so far. We've had some exceptionally warm and wonderful weather in the SF Bay Area the past few weeks, so the top has been down more than up.

--Cheers, John

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by JFM94404 View Post
    Thanks to all of you who have responded.

I made an offer under the asking price but requiring the inclusion of a 7-year extended warranty and the protective coating inside and out wtih a 5-year guarantee and it was accepted (with the usual "we're making no money on this deal" comment -- yeah, right).

I'm now the proud owner of a GREAT car -- with not a single problem so far. We've had some exceptionally warm and wonderful weather in the SF Bay Area the past few weeks, so the top has been down more than up.

--Cheers, John
    Great stuff, and GREAT deal

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you need help getting an XLR I can get you one. The 2007 has some improvements.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Avoid those coatings, automotive experts will tell you they close off openings on the bottom of the car which can prevent water that drains down the car in the rain from escaping. Use your imagination on the problems that will cause.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    Avoid those coatings, automotive experts will tell you they close off openings on the bottom of the car which can prevent water that drains down the car in the rain from escaping. Use your imagination on the problems that will cause.
    Bubble gum works too, but ends up with same problem plus bugs.

That stuff is known as rust and dust. You can buy similar stuff in a can for a few $$.

Good luck on the car. Sounds like you got a winner.

Keep us posted.

Well I'm back here writing this almost four years later, and I'm still enjoying my 2006 XLR as much as I did right after purchase. Bought it brand new and very glad I did. Thanks to all for the encouragement I received from Forum members to buy it. First time I paid an amount like that for a car, that's for sure.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a single problem with the car. At this point in early 2010, I do have to replace the battery -- which, as some on this forum have written, is the weak part of the XLR equation. I was warned early on not to let the car stand for extended periods without running, and have been careful not to do so.

I've read problems owners have had with the retractable top mechanism, but mine has worked perfectly for almost four years. I have been careful to "exercise" it regularly, but that's not hard here in California .. we're blessed with at least mid-day sunshine well more than 300 days a year.

I bought a life-of-the-car XM radio subscription shortly after buying the car -- they had a big special for about $250 -- and the radio/sound system works perfectly with great clarity and sound fidelity. Love it.

This 72-years-young senior feels like a kid again when I take off in my XLR .. best car I have ever purchased. So sad to read of the demise of the XLR brand, but it's hardly surprising given what the US and GM (in particular) have been going through. I wonder if a well-maintained low mileage XLR will pick up some extra resale value as a rarity a few years from now .. not that I plan to sell it any time soon!

Cheers, everyone, and hope you're enjoying your XLR as much as I'm enjoying mine.

--John (San Mateo, CA)

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Great epilogue John.Good to hear you're enjoying yours as much now as when you got it. I'm in the same boat. Even though mine had all of the issues common to '04s, once I got them taken care of, the car has been a joy to drive. I'll take it for a spin over my CTS-V almost every time --unless I'm driving up in the mountains on twisty roads, where the steering blows the XLR away. The XLR is a great car; too bad production ended so more folks could enjoy the experience. Collector's car someday? I hope so!

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.