Trifecta CTS Vsport tune review
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac V-Sport Performance Mods Discussion, Trifecta CTS Vsport tune review in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; I recently traded in my ISF and replaced it with a new Vsport CTS: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ntom-gray.html This car as many others ...
    Perses is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Post Trifecta CTS Vsport tune review

I recently traded in my ISF and replaced it with a new Vsport CTS:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ntom-gray.html

This car as many others have said is not only comfortable but its also fast. It doesn't really feel that fast, but looking at the speedometer it always reminds me otherwise.

I own a few other cars that are modded, and I was curious what the Vsport CTS can do. After shopping around for a bit for power adders, I decided on buying a tune from Trifecta. They were the only place that as far as I can tell has their own CTS Vsport that they did their development work on instead of discovering or figuring out their stuff on my car. I felt pretty comfortable buying what will work right out of the box. I also liked how Trifecta writes their tunes and tests for all kinds of driving conditions, like changes in altitude or if the weather changes for warmer or colder the tune already has the adaptation built in. Having their own validation and testing stuff on their own cars also helps.

So after exchanging out a few emails I took them up on their introductory pricing on a CTS Vsport tune purchase.

Also, after shopping around some more, it doesn't appear that anyone else out there has a transmission tune for the CTS Vsports, and that was a major factor for me as well. If I had any complaints about the stock car, I think the transmission causes quite a few of them. The CTS Vsport transmission seems like its constantly hunting for gears and is somewhat indecisive at that. When you roll into the gas, there is some sort of a pause as the transmission downshifts or some sort of a torque management cutting power. I wanted to try a transmission tune and Trifecta was the only place that had one.

I did the install at a dyno shop that actually recommended Trifecta over their own tuning because of what they described as "incomplete support" for the Vsport CTS from the other dyno tuning software out there.

I did two baseline dyno pulls stock and then proceeded to install the engine and transmission tune. I then did another two pulls with the tune installed:

Driving on the street, the car feels stronger across the board, and that throttle tip in hesitation is now gone as well. On the stock tune, it almost feels like that there was some sort of a barrier to acceleration when you give it gas that is now gone. With the tune installed, it feels like it just wants to go, almost like a completely new car. The car now actually feels fast and where before the tune there was some hesitation and vagueness, its now attentive and focused.

From what the dyno shows, with the Trifecta tune installed, the car picked up 90 Ft-Lbs under the curve and 67 WHP peak. At 4300 RPM, it picks up about 80 WHP or so. Not bad for the price I guess.

Attached Images
    jaymsu and Vsochs like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Antero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

Re: Trifecta CTS Vsport tune review

Thanks for the review.

Your numbers are a far cry from the 457HP and 511TQ that Trifecta claims. But much more what I expected to see a final tune look like. Looks like you also have Dynojet numbers.

WWK888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is not an inexpensive tune but horsepower isn't cheap. I think considering the research and extensive testing that was done and the fact they address the transmission issues I think it is a fair price.

CadillacVic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Performance

I am actually okay with the stock power once it comes; it's the transmission tuning I would like fixed. I feel like it's a bug that should be addressed by Cadillac...why should I pay $1000 for an after-market fix?

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

Nice report. Thanks.

Saleen S7 TT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any idea on improvement for 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, etc? I'm debating between this and the V2 '09-14 CTS V. Thanks!

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

Thanks so much for the post. I'm tempted, but just worried about the warranty. I couldn't pull the trigger on an S4 tune either.

I got the tune for my Vsport. I agree with the reviewer 100%. With the tune, the car is a monstrosity. It gives up some luxury in exchange for sport, but I think the trade off is well worth it.

WWK888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What do you mean by giving up luxury?
    Vsochs likes this.

Okay, I am TOTALLY hooked on this tune. Love it, love it, love it. No more lag of any kind, boost kicks in a lot sooner than before. More power and sooner. In Sport mode, it's just about perfect and I will probably never switch to another mode in day-to-day driving. It leaves nothing to be desired. Ridiculous power at low speeds to the point that I get scared of losing control (never happened on the stock version). Now I also have plentiful power at high speeds (no more lags for the car to find Performance Shifting Algorithm). I honestly cannot think why I would want the V now.

The tune works across all modes, I believe. As a result, the Tour mode is no longer that agreeable family mode. With the tranny tuning and more boost, it's just as an eager poppy in Tour mode as in other modes. In the ideal world, I would leave Tour mode completely unchanged (no new boost and no tranny reprogramming), while only improving Sport and Track programming. That way you could really have THE BEST of all worlds in one car. I am sad it's not an option, but I am still EXTREMELY happy with the tune and mad at GM for detuning the Vsport.

I believe the programming in the Tour mode is not as smooth as in the Sport mode, but I have to check that next week. Maybe it just felt odd while I was getting used to the tune. The Sport mode modulates very well (direct connection between the gas pedal and the car). I think in the Tour mode there was a little jerkiness when letting go of gas. I need to check this. It's not the case in the Sport mode or at least I got totally used it.

One unexpected benefit is that the car is actually quieter (only tested in Sport mode). Since I no longer need to rev as high to access power, the car is quieter on the highway when I pass. In that sense, it actually feels more luxurious than before. I believe a luxury car should have effortless power. With stock Vsport, the car can be strong in PSA when passing at high speeds, but because of high revving noise it does not feel effortless. It feels pretty effortless with the Trifecta tune (perhaps a combination of more boost and better torque availability).

Tony0007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CadillacVic,

With the Trifecta tune I'm curious to know how your car behaves in sport mode when leaving the line hard on the gas. Is there alot of additional wheelspin? Or does the computer correct for the dump truck load of additional torque and provide some sort of modulation?

Thanks..

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

I'll tell you one reason I am afraid of the Trifecta tune.
    I've tried to email those jokers and get no reply for days (still waiting).
    There list of tuners sounds looks like an episode of Fast & Furious and have screen names with lots of XXs and ZZs in them.

I spoke with a couple of serious Houston speed shops and to D3 and no one made me feel any better.

Guess I will wait on Hennessey. I know where they are and they answer the phone.
    -frustrated-

Vsochs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Yamaha FJR1300

I assume mpg drastically drops.

Quote Originally Posted by hedrives View Post
    I'll tell you one reason I am afraid of the Trifecta tune.
    I've tried to email those jokers and get no reply for days (still waiting).
    There list of tuners sounds looks like an episode of Fast & Furious and have screen names with lots of XXs and ZZs in them.

I spoke with a couple of serious Houston speed shops and to D3 and no one made me feel any better.

Guess I will wait on Hennessey. I know where they are and they answer the phone.
    -frustrated-
    I had good experience with their customer service. They emailed me back within 12-18 hours, every time, or sooner.

Perses is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Post Re: Trifecta CTS Vsport tune review

Quote Originally Posted by Tony0007 View Post
    CadillacVic,

With the Trifecta tune I'm curious to know how your car behaves in sport mode when leaving the line hard on the gas. Is there alot of additional wheelspin? Or does the computer correct for the dump truck load of additional torque and provide some sort of modulation?

Thanks..
    The traction control still works, I would say that with the tune and with traction control on, there is a touch bit more wheelspin on sport, but not more to the point of just laying down strips of rubber. With traction control off however, that is a very different story. Full boost comes on pretty early with this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsochs View Post
    I assume mpg drastically drops.
    On mine the MPG largely stayed the same. If anything I think maybe it improved a bit on my daily drive routine. When you're really heavy on the throttle however, WOW does it burn gas!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.