CTS Vsport Tuned Numbers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac V-Sport Performance Mods Discussion, CTS Vsport Tuned Numbers in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Hey everybody. Got my car tuned locally by the great guys at Speed Inc. This is part one of the ...
    Antero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

CTS Vsport Tuned Numbers

Hey everybody. Got my car tuned locally by the great guys at Speed Inc. This is part one of the tune as apparently the software from HP tuners is still not 100% complete yet. Car is still bone stock. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Baseline numbers today: 360HP 384 Torque

Tuned numbers: 400HP 410 Torque

Gained up to 50WHP in the curve in some spots.

Puts me at around 470 crank HP.

IMG_1862.JPG
    CTSCHICK and hedrives like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RobJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Re: CTS Vsport Tuned Numbers

What do you notice behind the wheel, on the road? Is there a particular gear / speed where you notice it pulling stronger?

The car pulls much more in the upper RPMs. Feels more like my V did. Car still drives normally, exactly as you would expect a Cadillac to drive. Worth every penny.

Dicecal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Sport Silver Coast/Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by Antero View Post
    The car pulls much more in the upper RPMs. Feels more like my V did. Car still drives normally, exactly as you would expect a Cadillac to drive. Worth every penny.
    Except now your warranty is gone, if that matters to you. I'm assuming not.

Sure, if my engine blows up and the reason is related to the tune I agree.

Simple fact: My car stock was running very lean with a lot of knock. Tuner was able to clear most of the knock and make the car run richer and safer. I have a much cleaner power band now. Guy who tuned my car has done over 3000 GM motors. I am very pleased with his work.

sonny@bnr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Content deleted

Quote Originally Posted by sonny@bnr View Post
    may i ask why you didn't go with trifecta
    Three reasons.

1. I wanted a local shop in case I experience any problems.
    2. The tuner is amazing and has done thousands of GM cars.
    3. I wanted a tune based on MY car. Not saying the Trifecta tune wont be as good. Heck, they have dozens of hours of dyno time. I just wanted my car on the dyno, tuned to what it can do.

Content deleted

I understand the trifecta tune has made more power. As I said above, the HP tuners software they use is not complete yet. On a side note, I am quite skeptical of the baseline numbers on Trifectas tune. I am no expert in how to read dynos but I also had my car on a dynojet. They claim their stock car put down 382HP and a massive 430lbft of torque (my car did 362HP 386tq). This puts their "stock" car at over 450HP and 500lbft at the crank, if you figure in the 15% drivetrain loss. If we look at the tuned numbers they are at 600lbft. If those are the numbers they are making that is great for them. They got a monster car out the gate but im not sure I want that kind of power going through an untested transmission just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Antero
    Three reasons.

1. I wanted a local shop in case I experience any problems.
    2. The tuner is amazing and has done thousands of GM cars.
    3. I wanted a tune based on MY car. Not saying the Trifecta tune wont be as good. Heck, they have dozens of hours of dyno time. I just wanted my car on the dyno, tuned to what it can do.
    RE: 1. This is their first attempt at one of these and you are their guinea pig. TRIFECTA does not experiment with customer vehicles. What you get is complete and tested and validated for 100,000 miles and 100 hours of wide open throttle. It will "just work" right out of the box.

RE: 2. We have done far more by orders of magnitude. We have done far more direct injection GM's by orders of magnitude. While I can not say that no one can touch TRIFECTA's proficiency with this platform, the first attempt by someone will not come close.

RE: 3. The TRIFECTA cal adapts to the specific vehicle. While there is such a thing as "manufacturing tolerances" but that difference is getting smaller and smaller. Your car is no different than anyone else's by a tangible amount. And the next GM car you buy will have even smaller of a difference. TRIFECTA has over a thousand hours of wide open throttle qualification via dyno on this vehicle and powertrain type alone.

I just wanted my car on the dyno, tuned to what it can do.
    TRIFECTA has the vehicle dialed in to what by their standards the transmission will support. Not to "what the car can do". Their standards are amongst the most stringent and highest in this industry, and we @BNR concur with their development standards. Apex predator, distinguished by perfection, nothing less will do.

On a side note, I am quite skeptical of the baseline numbers on Trifectas tune.
    Every dyno is indeed different. The inertial dynos will all read with some degree of variation due to environmental differences, such as ambient air temperature, etc.

This puts their "stock" car at over 450HP and 500lbft at the crank, if you figure in the 15% drivetrain loss.
    software they use is not complete yet.
    TRIFECTA's before and after numbers document TRIFECTA's product line. I can say with confidence that TRIFECTA does not mean to compare dynos vs dynos. You've stated that your tune is "not complete yet".

This will not be a fair comparison because TRIFECTA has a transmission calibration to match their engine calibration. Stuff that will work to compliment each other. No compromises. With validation to match.

They got a monster car out the gate but im not sure I want that kind of power going through an untested transmission just yet.
    Exactly my point. TRIFECTA validates their power and if they think that a transmission tune is needed, I would trust their expertise on how that conclusion was reached.

Since you are casting doubt on our product line, let us reciprocate by asking you:

Since your transmission tune, friction pack engagement pressures, and torque converter apply pressures are all stock, are you accounting for the increased slip rate that your transmission is experiencing? Specifically, where on stock power, if the clutch packs according to Aisin should slip no more than 15 degrees per clutch/friction plate, if you aren't modifying the shift pressures, and they slip lets say 5% per plate continuous, how do you know your transmission will hold up?

I guess since you are their guinea pig, you'll find out sooner rather than later what happens when you try to run one of these at elevated power on the stock transmission tune.

If I understand the TRIFECTA product brief that I read, what they are in effect saying is that without a corresponding transmission counterpart to the engine, its not the engine that will fail, but instead the transmission. Without increasing the shift pressures and altering not only the speed of the shifts, the torque management to correctly address the elevated power levels, or to account for the increased slip rate by upping the clutch pack engagement pressures so that they do not slip, the transmission will fail. If TRIFECTA is taking their sweet time in validation and qualification for a vehicle type that they have made a good deal of additional power through, don't you think that there must be something that they'd want to be EXTRA SURE on just in case?

Or if the engine makes that kind of power, what else is there left to validate? How about the transmission

You seem to think that I am down playing Trifecta's product. In no way do I think the product will be bad in any way. I am sure it will be a great product and make a lot of power.

I was very open and upfront in my first post. I clearly said this was part 1 of the tune. You are correct in saying that HP tuners does not yet have trans tune software. My tuner made that clear to me as well. He tuned to car to stay safe with the trans and will wait for HP tuners trans software for part 2 of tune.

Anyways considering BOTH cars were dynoed on a Dynojet dyno, both corrected for SAE - their STOCK car made 430TQ without any trans tuning. After my tune im still "only" making 410TQ. If I was pushing the 500+TQ They are making without the trans tune I would agree that my tranny would probably blow up in a week.

eurofixer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport
    Trifecta has over 1,000 hours of WOT on an LF3 in a 2014 CTS and they haven't released a product yet? Not doubting Trifecta's tuning ability, these are just numbers though until someone besides them actually gets those numbers.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Sonny. I have two questions.

1. Why would Antero get his car tuned by Trifecta when they don't have anything available yet?
    2. I'm due for a new car at the end of July. How likely is it I'll be able to get a Trifecta tune complete with transmission tune by then?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Speed Inc has been specializing in and tuning GM LS engine cars for 13 years while also doing mail order parts I can understand why you chose them since they are local to you.

ATSturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Thumbs down The LF3 engine is NOT the LSx engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Speed Inc has been specializing in and tuning GM LS engine cars for 13 years while also doing mail order parts I can understand why you chose them since they are local to you.
    Tuning a bunch of cars with a different type of engine that is neither direct injected nor twin turbo as is what is in the CTS Vsport doesn't apply here at all. Their "tuning" and "specializing" for 13 years in another engine type is just that, obsolete and won't help a bit in something as new as this.

I agree with sonny on this, you're their guinie pig and experiment. Combined with incomplete software support from HPT and no transmission support, the nice way of putting it would be that its "incomplete".

I don't think its responsible for shops that "tune" cars to experiment with customer cars. They should be doing their testing on their own cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.