Cadillac Owners Forum banner

TRIFECTA presents: LF3 Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming, CTS V-Sport 3.6TT MY2014

46K views 77 replies 32 participants last post by  TRIFECTA 
#1 ·

http://i41.tinypic.com/29kx6k1.jpg

images are attached above

TRIFECTA presents: Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT (Twin Turbo) LF3 MY2014 Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming

This release post is a presentation of the software engineering capabilities of TRIFECTA Performance: You're looking at the "fastest Cadillac CTS V-Sport in North America" (as of January 24th 2014). The TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport LF3 MY2014 powertrain calibration is an easy to install software performance recalibration with an included flash loader device that will yield gains of +81 ft-lbs and +74 WHP to a completely stock Cadillac CTS V-Sport LF3 MY2014.

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT MY2014 LF3 ECM software reprogramming:

-Gains of +81 ft-lbs and +74 WHP
-Powertrain calibration has been tested and validated for various environments, such as cold/heat, elevation, and variations in fuel quality
-Power feels linear and immediately responsive
-Retains all GM OE diagnostics and ECM functionality
-Retains all OE error code reporting and functionality
-Emissions readiness checks are present; emissions compliant
-Maintains functionality of ABS and TC systems
-Knock detection mechanisms and OE engine knock detection sensitivity is retained
-Return to stock functionality included with flash loader

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT MY2014 Aisin 8-Speed automatic transmission TCM calibration software reprogramming:

-Supplementary Aisin transmission TCM reprogramming compliments the ECM reprogramming and completes the TRIFECTA Powertrain Calibration: designed to work in unison with the ECM reprogramming for optimized performance
-Improved shift times in adverse shift patterns
-Improved shift logic
-Does not shorten transmission life or increase cooling requirements
-Retains all OE diagnostics and TCM functionality

Installation Notes:

-Estimated installation time of ~20 minutes
-Premium fuel is strongly recommended, but not required

Dyno sheet and video:

http://youtu.be/Fs5uuc2ho28

LF3 dyno graph (93 octane pump gas) (this vehicle is a 2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport with a LF3 3.6 Twin Turbo engine) - stock wheels/tires:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zjfarp.jpg

Additional information and availability:

-Please contact Trifecta Performance: info@trifectaperformance.com or visit WOT-tuning: www.wot-tuning.com for more information
-This powertrain calibration is available exclusively through Trifecta Performance and WOT-tuning; (as of January 24th 2014): wholesale inquiries are welcome though provided that you are an existing and active Trifecta reseller
-This powertrain calibration includes a Trifecta powertrain calibration file specific to your vehicle and includes a flash loader device
-Powertrain calibrations currently exist for North American vehicles only, with more regions to follow
-Pricing TBA

-

Attachments

See less See more
1 4
#4 ·
Re: Questions and Answers, February 6th 2014

That's a great improvement! Very curious what the price looks like. +74 WHP means it is over 500HP crank?
Estimated crank HP reported from the ECM is over 500hp, but past the factory power output levels that number is probably no longer accurate. Measured SAE at the wheels is more accurate and reliable.

I have a new sickness, specifically a 2014 v sport that wants to get this tune. I am the founder of blue chip diesel, wanting to play with my new car. Tell me who to talk with, and so on!
Thanks, Chip Fisher
We are presently still validating the powertrain calibration. Prior to considering a powertrain recalibration acceptable for retail release, Trifecta's quality assurance and validation process calls for 100,000 miles and 100hrs of full throttle accumulated as a prerequisite. Making the power is done, but we're still validating the power output so that the powertrain recalibration will be safe and reliable. We at Trifecta would rather have the uncertainties be settled on our own test platforms, NOT on customer vehicles.

At the end of our validation cycle, we still have to take one of our test platforms and disassemble the motor and analyze piston and bore wear, gauge dimensional accuracy and distortion of the engine connecting rods, and analyze the bearings for premature wear.

Any specs on the tune? Like max boost pressure observed, what kind of IAT / MAT you guys are running at those power levels?
Stock is between 12 to 18 psi depending on gear, altitude, and RPM amongst other conditions.

We're between 14 to 28 psi, again, depending on RPM, gear, altitude, and fuel octane.

The OE intercooler isn't the most ideal implementation, and will heat saturate easily. With more than 20 psi the threshold is actually fairly low.

What a great setup! Curious what kind of quarter mile times this picks up
This one we won't be able to conclusively tell until the weather warms up. This vehicle type is traction limited at increased power levels. Please note that this is a powertrain software recalibration only though, and is designed to be as least intrusive as possible. With additional hardware upgrades, such as a turbo core upgrade with uprated billet compressor and turbine wheels, currently in process by one of our hardware partners, we're fairly certain that an amicable quarter mile result will be achievable.

Curious about driveability also.
Power delivery is linear and responsive with ANY of our products. We also provide updates corresponding with GM updates and recalls.

What effect on the warranty? I know with my 2012 Z06, dealers could detect a "tune" and deny engine failure issues.
How does this affect the factory warranty?
Trifecta does not condone warranty abuse or fraud of any kind. We champion a "pay to play" approach when it comes to GM's powertrain warranties. However with that said, at any time should you wish to return to stock with ANY of our powertrain products, the included flash loader device will return your car 100 percent to stock. ->"Trifecta's Transparency featureset."

Trifecta's quality assurance and validation process calls for 100,000 miles and 100hrs of full throttle accumulated as a prerequisite in order for the calibration before we would consider the release candidate retail worthy. As stated above, making the power is done, but we're still validating the power output so that the powertrain recalibration will be safe and reliable.

With ANY Trifecta powertrain calibration, the knock detection mechanisms and OE engine knock detection sensitivity is retained. We also test for adverse operating conditions including but not limited to poor fuel quality, so that with any of our powertrain recalibrations, the car will be as dependable as stock.

#17 ·
Updated: TRIFECTA LF3 Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming, CTS V-Sport MY2014+

On a side note, are you able to program in some nice exhaust popping and burble on shifts and engine deceleration?
Yes, by special request downshift "burbles" can be added. This feature is still in beta development status, and a release date has not yet been announced.

What's your timeline for validation/further testing? Few weeks or a few months? ;)
Available now with introductory pricing: http://www.wot-tuning.com/forums/store/category/1249-36l-twin-turbo/

The power didn't lay down any earlier rpm wise, indicating they aren't running the turbo clear off the map just yet (maybe close).
With the TRIFECTA production validated powertrain calibration for the Cadillac CTS V-Sport LF3 MY2014, we are not at the edge of the compressor map.

Little bit of knock dip just after 5000 rpm, so where know where the threshold is for the car on 93 octane, and that's ok.
Zero knock on the run the dyno graph is showing. The "dip" you're referencing is where we are reducing power artificially to not overrun the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump). At higher RPM, the HPFP actually recovers somewhat. We will not disclose the actual fuel rail pressures.

We really need to figure out what to do with intercooling. That intercooler setup looks absolutely terrible and prone to some nasty heat soak.
We concur with this sentiment. One of our hardware partners should have an improved solution for production release in the next month or so.

As for my CTS Vsport, first time I popped the hood I wondered what the heat soak issues will be for us in Texas even at stock boost levels and stock ICs.
I see vented and domed hoods to clear larger ICs as a thing.
We have found with a destructive test protocol that the stock heat exchanger assembly as a system is thermally challenged. The liquid to air heat exchanger within the intake manifold is also flow limited. This powertrain platform will benefit from any improvements made in this regard.

What kind of performance did you note after back to back runs, surely these are best case scenario numbers (which are fantastic btw!)
The dyno runs posted reflect the best run STOCK vs the average of the runs with the recalibration loaded. The best case scenario numbers are higher.

I had another question regarding fueling. Where do you suppose you guys are fuel limit wise?
Also, as 2jzgte asked, curious about how much fuel delivery the stock setup can support.
At where you have described as a "dip" in the dyno graph, we are getting close to the limits of the HPFP. Without pulling back power at that airflow/rpm intersection, we will likely overrun the HPFP. However, we feel that with aftermarket turbochargers that flow more air, 500-525 WHP+ should be plausible on the OE HPFP.

Yes, the link corresponds with the product order page on WOT-Tuning.com

Is WOT-tuning one of your retailers?
WOT-Tuning is a TRIFECTA North American distributor.

Does your "return to stock" function work an unlimited amount of times? I would still like to install GM updates if there are any
We do not know the exact answer to this question, however on a test rig that repeats the flash process on a continuous loop, a batch of E92 controllers have not failed after over 2,500 reflashes set on a mixed cycle that includes full rewrites, flash truncation and recovery, and partial rewrites starting from a random sector.

I like how you are testing on your own test fleet, but does that test fleet include both Premium and Non-premium vehicles? I have a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium, do you have something that is specific to the Premium?
We have both V-Sport and V-Sport Premium vehicles within the TRIFECTA LF3 test fleet. The powertrain calibrations are not interchangeable between the two vehicle trim levels.

Does your transmission side of the tune still work with all of the modes from the mode selector? Tour, Sport, and Track?
Yes.

How difficult is the install? Are there computer requirements? I have a macbook from last year running boot camp, will that work with your "flash loader device"?
This powertrain calibration includes a Trifecta powertrain calibration file specific to your vehicle and includes an easy to use flash loader device. Installation should take less than 20 minutes. The 2013 Macbook Pro and 2013 Macbook Air complies with the minimum system requirements for the flash loader device and app. The flash loader app will prompt you if your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements.

What happens if the tune loading process fails? Is there some sort of a recovery mode on the flash loader device? I've had a 2011 GT500 where the SCT crashed during the flash and the car was bricked, and I had to tow it to a dealer. Is this even remotely a possibility here?
With every TRIFECTA flash loader mechanism, a comprehensive flash recovery function featureset is included to recover the vehicle in case of a truncated or interrupted flash install. Our recovery feature will recover from any ECM state.

Cant wait for more info on this.
This deserves a TON more traffic than it's got right now.
I'm exceptionally pleased here.
Looking forward to what you guys end up with.
I'm anxiously awaiting more information on this tune...
Updates????
Killing me. Any news?
Otherwise, they'd be all over this discussion. :p
Im anxiously wainting for any updates to the release of this tune. My new vsport is hungry!
:banghead:

We would like to thank everyone for their patience and support. TRIFECTA has a policy of development, testing, and validation using vehicles within our test fleet. We do not test using customer vehicles. With an improved power delivery profile from the LF3 engine, we have completed validation and testing on the LF3 powertrain for over 100,000 miles across different environments including high elevation, heat/cold, and adverse fuel quality trials. We are confident in our product delivering consistent and safe increases in performance over the stock power levels.

The LF3 powertrain platform discovery process has also included a comprehensive discovery process on the Aisin 8-speed transmission and the eLSD system in the Cadillac CTS V-Sport MY2014. The TRIFECTA powertrain recalibration for the MY2014+ Cadillac CTS V-Sport includes a comprehensive program that includes increased power from the LF3 engine, improved shift logic and quicker shifts from the Aisin 8-speed transmission with increased clutch pack engagement pressure settings to compliment the increased power, and an improved eLSD program to allow quicker power bias during acceleration.

Please contact Trifecta Performance: info@trifectaperformance.com or visit WOT-tuning: www.wot-tuning.com for more information.

#7 ·
This deserves a TON more traffic than it's got right now.
I'm exceptionally pleased here.
The power didn't lay down any earlier rpm wise, indicating they aren't running the turbo clear off the map just yet (maybe close).
Little bit of knock dip just after 5000 rpm, so where know where the threshold is for the car on 93 octane, and that's ok.

We really need to figure out what to do with intercooling. That intercooler setup looks absolutely terrible and prone to some nasty heat soak.
What kind of performance did you note after back to back runs, surely these are best case scenario numbers (which are fantastic btw!)

I had another question regarding fueling. Where do you suppose you guys are fuel limit wise?

#9 ·
Looking forward to what you guys end up with.
I've got many, many years of turbo experience from road racing 3rd generation RX7s.
Both twin turbos and single turbo set-ups.
One of the biggest issues was intercooling capacity especially in areas with high ambient temps.

As for my CTS Vsport, first time I popped the hood I wondered what the heat soak issues will be for us in Texas even at stock boost levels and stock ICs.
I see vented and domed hoods to clear larger ICs as a thing.

Also, as 2jzgte asked, curious about how much fuel delivery the stock setup can support.

Anyway, looking forward to what you find.

#16 ·

http://i41.tinypic.com/29kx6k1.jpg

images are attached above

TRIFECTA presents: Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT (Twin Turbo) LF3 MY2014 Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming

This release post is a presentation of the software engineering capabilities of TRIFECTA Performance: You're looking at the "fastest Cadillac CTS V-Sport in North America" (as of January 24th 2014). The TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport LF3 MY2014 powertrain calibration is an easy to install software performance recalibration with an included flash loader device that will yield gains of +81 ft-lbs and +74 WHP to a completely stock Cadillac CTS V-Sport LF3 MY2014.

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT MY2014 LF3 ECM software reprogramming:

-Gains of +81 ft-lbs and +74 WHP
-Powertrain calibration has been tested and validated for various environments, such as cold/heat, elevation, and variations in fuel quality
-Power feels linear and immediately responsive
-Retains all GM OE diagnostics and ECM functionality
-Emissions readiness checks are present; emissions compliant
-Maintains functionality of ABS and TC systems
-Knock detection mechanisms and OE engine knock detection sensitivity is retained
-Return to stock functionality included with flash loader

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance Cadillac CTS V-Sport 3.6TT MY2014 Aisin 8-Speed automatic transmission TCM calibration software reprogramming:

-Supplementary Aisin transmission TCM reprogramming compliments the ECM reprogramming and completes the TRIFECTA Powertrain Calibration: designed to work in unison with the ECM reprogramming for optimized performance
-Improved shift times in adverse shift patterns
-Improved shift logic
-Does not shorten transmission life or increase cooling requirements
-Retains all OE diagnostics and TCM functionality

Installation Notes:

-Estimated installation time of ~20 minutes
-Premium fuel is strongly recommended, but not required

Dyno sheet and video:

http://youtu.be/Fs5uuc2ho28

LF3 dyno graph (93 octane pump gas) (this vehicle is a 2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport with a LF3 3.6 Twin Turbo engine) - stock wheels/tires:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zjfarp.jpg

Additional information and availability:

-Please contact Trifecta Performance: info@trifectaperformance.com or visit WOT-tuning: www.wot-tuning.com for more information
-This powertrain calibration is available exclusively through Trifecta Performance and WOT-tuning; (as of January 24th 2014): wholesale inquiries are welcome though provided that you are an existing and active Trifecta reseller
-This powertrain calibration includes a Trifecta powertrain calibration file specific to your vehicle and includes a flash loader device
-Powertrain calibrations currently exist for North American vehicles only, with more regions to follow
-Pricing TBA

When you say "WOT-tuning", do you mean this place?

http://www.wot-tuning.com/forums/store/category/1249-36l-twin-turbo/

Is WOT-tuning one of your retailers?

I'm ready to place an order but I've got a few questions:

1. Does your "return to stock" function work an unlimited amount of times? I would still like to install GM updates if there are any

2. I like how you are testing on your own test fleet, but does that test fleet include both Premium and Non-premium vehicles? I have a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium, do you have something that is specific to the Premium?

3. Does your transmission side of the tune still work with all of the modes from the mode selector? Tour, Sport, and Track?

4. How difficult is the install? Are there computer requirements? I have a macbook from last year running boot camp, will that work with your "flash loader device"?

5. What happens if the tune loading process fails? Is there some sort of a recovery mode on the flash loader device? I've had a 2011 GT500 where the SCT crashed during the flash and the car was bricked, and I had to tow it to a dealer. Is this even remotely a possibility here?

#19 ·
Re: Updated: TRIFECTA LF3 Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming, CTS V-Sport MY2014+

I'll tell you one reason I am afraid of the Trifecta tune.
I've tried to email those jokers and get no reply for days (still waiting).
There list of tuners sounds looks like an episode of Fast & Furious and have screen names with lots of XXs and ZZs in them.

I spoke with a couple of serious Houston speed shops and to D3 and no one made me feel any better.

Guess I will wait on Hennessey. I know where they are and they answer the phone.
-frustrated-

#21 ·
Re: Please contact a TRIFECTA resellers for any pricing related questions.

Just got off an very nice phone call with Mitchell at Trifecta who was kind enough to use his lunch break to call me.
He totally quelled any issues I had with their tuning and explained how it works.

I'll be ordering a tune from them later tonight.

He also apologized for the delay in contacting me.
Seems they get multiple thousands of emails a week.

brad in houston.

#23 ·
Yes, an individualized calibration can be provided. However, for production validation (read: additional testing and support ratification), a request will need to be sent by the specific part manufacturer.

The current TRIFECTA production validated MY2014 CTS V-Sport calibration has been validated and tested for 100,000 miles at varying operating conditions such as elevations between sea level and 14,000 feet. The calibration also accounts for discrepancies in vehicle condition and operating conditions such as poor fuel quality, varying performance of the air filter, different tires, and also temperature changes. Subsidiary and auxiliary system performance is also accounted for, such as if the AC will still perform under stressed conditions.

A "dyno tune" only accounts for the conditions of when the dyno was/is operated. An individualized calibration per specific vehicle part build can be provided, with or without dynoing the vehicle, and for any and all parts or part modification service through the TRIFECTA datalogging featureset included with every TRIFECTA RED flash loader. Please contact TRIFECTA support or www.wot-tuning.com for more information.

#27 ·
The functionality to bypass specific CELs is already included with the TRIFECTA flash loader. Its in the adjustable options list.

The TRIFECTA MY2014 CTS V-Sport LF3 calibration is octane adaptive and will support both 91 and 93 octane. Performance will generally increase with higher octane fuels however for any octane fuel rated over 93 octane the current production validated calibration will no longer adapt performance past 93 octane. A low octane specific calibration is also available upon request.

We can extend the rev limiter if requested through our individualization program. Ghost Cam MKI is not available for the LF3 presently.

I'm very interested to know what would be considered a typical 0-60 & 1/4 mi improvement in the Trifecta tune vs stock.
What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times can we expect
On the 0-60 times we can consistently match or exceed stock, however depending on conditions a 0.3 second improvement or better is possible.

One of our customers currently holds "the world's fastest CTS V-Sport" quarter mile record at 12.30@116. Stock vehicle with a TRIFECTA CTS V-Sport powertrain recalibration.

On one of our CTS V-Sport development platforms, one of our engineers timeslipped at 12.34@116.5 on a stock vehicle that had maybe another 200 lbs of telemetry equipment and instrumentation. Stock CTS V-Sport with a TRIFECTA cal.

Here is a CTS V-Sport running a 12.41@115.61 with a TRIFECTA cal:

http://i58.tinypic.com/309h6z8.jpg

#29 ·
Purchased the Trifecta tune last weekend. car is running amazing. I'm still feeling her out, but feels great. Raced my friend who has a 1986 Grand National, running low 12's and I blew him away on the first run, this was with out the trany tune portion.

The guys at WOT and Trifecta have been great with me. I'll update later with more stats, taking the car to the track in two weeks.

#32 ·
Well......

After blogging to WOT at their blog site, no response after a week. It appears that blogs are the preferred means to communicate with them. Trifecta does not take private messages. So far I am unable to get my questions answered. Extremely nervous doing business with companies that are so difficult to get answers from.

Are these companies reputable? Clearly a select few have done business with them and are happy, but I am not sure if that is the general experience. What is a reasonable wait time to here back from WOT?

#35 ·
Just to add my experience with Steven at WOT:

I sent a message using the "contact us" tool and had a response within the day. Once my questions were answered, I placed an order for the Ecm/trans tune late this past Monday night. Once the order was placed the "client area" of the forums became active and all correspondence with Steven were kept there as well as my tune and software to download. 2 days later my obd/USB cable was delivered and I flashed the new tune in about 15-20 mins.

So just to recap, my questions were answered, order was placed, cable was shipped and tune was flashed all within one working weeks time. The tune is great, smooth and "stockish" in "Tour" mode and a quiet animal in "track" mode.

Very pleased with the entire process and I would definitely recommend anyone on the fence about WOT or the trifecta tune pull the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.