Loud Tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Loud Tires? in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Has anyone else noticed how loud the factory tires are? To me it's as loud as snow tires are on ...
    Qnsryck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS-V

Loud Tires?

Has anyone else noticed how loud the factory tires are? To me it's as loud as snow tires are on bare pavement. It's become increasingly annoying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

WWK888 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Loud Tires?

Much louder on concrete roadways compared to asphalt.

.gearhead. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium

Yes. I just took mine in for the second time to look at it because of excessive tire noise while turning at low speeds. Again, they said it was normal tire wear and rotated the tires this time. For the time being the noise has dissipated. But I believe they wear unevenly and this is likely due to some sort of tow issue they have not yet figured out, or are unwilling to acknowledge.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had a similar issue noted here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ent-issue.html

My issue was resolved with new front tires and an alignment, even though they said the original alignment was within spec. I wonder if they made some small change or maybe the factory alignment specs have too much room for variance. Now, after 6000 miles since the new tires and alignment, my car is as quiet as when new. I am rotating the tires every 3000 miles, as Cadillac recommended.

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

Is the tire rotation covered under the maintenance warranty?

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BigFred View Post
    Is the tire rotation covered under the maintenance warranty?
    Yes, although I think they made a special allowance for my case to do them every 3k miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by .gearhead. View Post
    Yes. I just took mine in for the second time to look at it because of excessive tire noise while turning at low speeds. Again, they said it was normal tire wear and rotated the tires this time. For the time being the noise has dissipated. But I believe they wear unevenly and this is likely due to some sort of tow issue they have not yet figured out, or are unwilling to acknowledge.
    Hi .gearhead,

I’m glad to hear that your recent tire rotation has resolved the tire noise for the time being. If it returns and you would like some additional assistance while working with the dealership, please feel free to PM me and we can discuss the situation further.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

I don't recall where, but I think I read somewhere that PZeros were fairly loud, and I do know that the tires get louder when they're worn, although you probably aren't at that point yet.

Theroider is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport
    Just wondering why you're rotating asymmetrical tires. My Chevy dealer has never rotated (left to right, right to left) my Camaro SS Pirelli's.

Medmal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v sport

I took my CTS V-sport in Saturday to the selling dealer for oil change and tire rotation. When I went to pick it up, I noticed that the tires had not been rotated and inquired why not. I was told that it was not recommended, even side to side as
    discussed here. I informed the dealership owner, and now the car is back for rotation of the tires. Cadillac needs to do a better job of keeping us and dealerships informed, although I can see their side of not rotating, but not in line with posts here.

.gearhead. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium

As of today, 8950 miles and the tire noise is back. I plan to go back to the dealer Friday and request for the third time they resolve the issue. I'm not holding my breath. Ridiculous for a $70K car...

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

Rotating asymmetrical tires side-to-side is a waste of time.
    If you are getting road noise I would investigate rotational imbalances and tire roundness by using a road force balancer.
    There is a good chance this will show the tire/wheel combo is out of round increasing road noise.

Also, do a thorough alignment on the car.
    Both of these may require not using your Cadillac dealer and going to a good tire store or alignment shop with modern equipment like a Hunter Road Force GSP9700.
    You can find the nearest machine here: http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

I know this is partial heresy on a $70K Cadillac, but dealer service departments have huge variances in quality.

Aside: this is my first Cadillac and I find this forum slightly odd.
    There is little technical commentary here.
    My post about dialing out understeer in the performance section has received no replies after a month while a badge question gets almost 20.
    Are there so few of us actually DRIVING their car?
    Not trying to upset anyone, I'm just used to owner's forums generating feedback.

Medmal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v sport

For the most part, I would agree that rotating asymmetrical tires empirically makes no sense. However even Cadillac Customer Care (Austin J) and other members have posted that such rotation diminished the road noise they were complaining
    of, even though it eventually recurred. While I am not an engineer, I wonder if the road "crown" normally in the center of a two-lane road might cause some uneven wear in tires susceptible to such wear, and therefore side-side rotation might be
    beneficial. Just a thought and question for others.

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Medmal View Post
    For the most part, I would agree that rotating asymmetrical tires empirically makes no sense. However even Cadillac Customer Care (Austin J) and other members have posted that such rotation diminished the road noise they were complaining
    of, even though it eventually recurred. While I am not an engineer, I wonder if the road "crown" normally in the center of a two-lane road might cause some uneven wear in tires susceptible to such wear, and therefore side-side rotation might be
    beneficial. Just a thought and question for others.
    Medmal,

I think swapping the tires side-to-side is treating the symptom without curing the problem.
    Of course the noise level will change when swapped... and, OMG, it came back!
    That is because the problem has not been fixed and also why some service departments bad reputations.

Proper FOUR wheel alignment and complete balancing along with correct inflation will reduce the issue.
    Tires make noise, some tires make more than others.

Pirelli has developed the "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System" for Audi that puts a sponge in the tires to reduce noise.
    http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/c...celling-system
    But this only knocks a couple of dB off the sound.

2014 Vsport smith is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

Owners should know that in their hand book GM suggest NOT to use tires under 40 degrees F and in harsh winter
    climates. These are run/flat tires and they will give a some what harsher ride. Also the rubber compound will not wear
    the same as a standard tire. Knowing this I ran my tires hard (broke-in) for fifty miles and then replaced them with
    Hankook Ultra All Season tires. The car is notably quieter and smoother on all road surface conditions but you will
    sacrifice some handling. There's always a tradeoff unfortunately. If a person viewed the sidewall thickness of a run/flat tire they would understand where some of that great handling performance comes from. I hope this helps clear up
    some of the tire concerns.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.