Window tinting gone wrong
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Window tinting gone wrong in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; So I need to vent but also am looking for advice on what I should do next. Last Wednesday I ...
    changzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Window tinting gone wrong

So I need to vent but also am looking for advice on what I should do next.

Last Wednesday I had a local outfit tint the windows on the new vsport. They said not to roll down the windows for the next three days so I waited four. Upon doing so, I noticed the passenger side peeled so I took it back on Monday and they replaced it. They also replaced the driver side because there was debris in between the tint and window. Well, the drivers side ended up worse because there was a lot of lint/dust in there (imagine the frustration when that happens on your phone screen protectors). So today they replaced the driver side for the third time. So far so good on the windows.

I'm not exactly sure what the process is for tinting but I know they use a lot of solution. I know this because each time I went, the window sill suede interior was soaking wet afterwards. No big deal for me since they dried without problems. However, this third time, the solution must have dripped behind the speaker under the sill and came out with a red, unremovable hue. i didn't notice it until I got back closer to work so I stopped by a dealership that I've worked with before. The detail guy comes out with a foaming cleaner, applies it and as soon as he starts wiping it down, the leather (I'm guessing it's leather; correct me if I'm wrong) starts peeling away! At this point I'm beside myself and he tries to get the manager to warranty it but no such luck. Pictures to follow, sorry for the rant, what would you do next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Re: Window tinting gone wrong

Quote Originally Posted by changzilla View Post
    So I need to vent but also am looking for advice on what I should do next.

Last Wednesday I had a local outfit tint the windows on the new vsport. They said not to roll down the windows for the next three days so I waited four. Upon doing so, I noticed the passenger side peeled so I took it back on Monday and they replaced it. They also replaced the driver side because there was debris in between the tint and window. Well, the drivers side ended up worse because there was a lot of lint/dust in there (imagine the frustration when that happens on your phone screen protectors). So today they replaced the driver side for the third time. So far so good on the windows.

I'm not exactly sure what the process is for tinting but I know they use a lot of solution. I know this because each time I went, the window sill suede interior was soaking wet afterwards. No big deal for me since they dried without problems. However, this third time, the solution must have dripped behind the speaker under the sill and came out with a red, unremovable hue. i didn't notice it until I got back closer to work so I stopped by a dealership that I've worked with before. The detail guy comes out with a foaming cleaner, applies it and as soon as he starts wiping it down, the leather (I'm guessing it's leather; correct me if I'm wrong) starts peeling away! At this point I'm beside myself and he tries to get the manager to warranty it but no such luck. Pictures to follow, sorry for the rant, what would you do next?

I would try and get the window tinting shop to cover the damage under their insurance. If they refuse you can try to get it covered under comp on your policy and have your insurance subrogate against the tint shop later.

Pictures are either too many pixels or too many KBs. Stay tuned..

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gmfamily View Post

I would try and get the window tinting shop to cover the damage under their insurance. If they refuse you can try to get it covered under comp on your policy and have your insurance subrogate against the tint shop later.
    ^^^+1.
    Do not let the incompetent tint shop touch your car again. Period.
    Window tinting is not rocket science but it does require some skill and attention to detail. After repeated attempts its apparent your tinting shop has demonstrated neither.
    First thing to do is contact a reputable tint shop to give you an estimate of the cost to correct the damage the first one caused. Check with your local BBB for shops they endorse, ask friends/colleagues about shops they use. A lot of business is through word of mouth. That's how I found the shop I use and have been a repeat customer for over 10 years and 7 cars You can even check Angie's list.
    Get an estimate from whatever repair shop you want to use for the "leather" and any other associated damage.
    Take these estimates to the shop that caused the damage and tell them you want them to pay.
    If they agree, great, if not, walk away, and contact your insurance company.
    Of course, depending on the $ amount of damage to your car and your deductible, it might not be worth filing a claim.
    After that, call your local BBB and file a complaint. If the offending shop is a member, the BBB will contact them and try to mediate a resolution that you will be happy with.
    If the tint shop is a BBB member and refuses, your complaint will go on their record for everyone to see, and their rating may be lowered.
    I have gone this route with a shady plumbing outfit. It took several months but in the end, I got what I wanted.
    Lastly, put the name of the shop out on this forum so other members know to stay clear.

Here's the damage.

image-3631458403.jpg

Here's another. The dark lines are the stained drips of solution that I can't seem to remove. They are not shadows. And if you zoom in, you can definitely see where the leather panel was stripped away and is peeling from the cleaning agent. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and get the brand name of cleaner he was using.

image-4257579926.jpg

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Do you have the premium interior? If so I believe it's leather.

If it's leather, I highly recommend a company called gliptone. They sell cleaner and conditioner for leather.

If there has been a lot of liquid getting on the leather because of tint work, the water, or whatever liquid solution, when it dries out, dries out the leather's natural oils. You need to replenish with conditioner before the sun does some serious permanent damage. But you should preface that with a cleaning.

Again, use gliptone products. I can't speak for leatherique but they come highly acclaimed too. Anything else isn't worth your money, especially the crap at autozone, etc.

If it's not leather, disregard.

jamiejam1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi

Wait, if a dealer's detailer did it, they used something that ate the finish, why would it be the tinter's fault? If it was a cadi- dealer that damage they caused.. They were doing you a service and damaged the car, they should be responsible.. Most if not all tint shops apply tint with soap and water ( Usually dawn or palmolive cause if its slippery consistency...) soap wouldn't cause that kind of damage.. but chemicals that the dealerships shop might.. Looks like they may have used a stain remover of sorts and removed the sealer / finish from the material... just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejam1 View Post
    Wait, if a dealer's detailer did it, they used something that ate the finish, why would it be the tinter's fault? If it was a cadi- dealer that damage they caused.. They were doing you a service and damaged the car, they should be responsible.. Most if not all tint shops apply tint with soap and water ( Usually dawn or palmolive cause if its slippery consistency...) soap wouldn't cause that kind of damage.. but chemicals that the dealerships shop might.. Looks like they may have used a stain remover of sorts and removed the sealer / finish from the material... just my .02
    Reread what the op said about the red stain. The tint shop was responsible for that. You're right about tint shops using diluted soapy water solutions (mine uses baby shampoo). It sounds like they over did it and the liquid mixed with something inside the door panel turning it red, then the liquid seeped out under the sill.
    The tinting shop is responsible.
    The dealership detailer tried to fix it and in the process the "leather" came loose.
    The dealership/detailer were doing the op a favor and should not be held responsible.
    If the detailer made it worse, the op should bear that responsibility, and possibly share the repair cost with the tint shop imo. That's for the op to consider.
    In any event it sounds like the tint shop is responsible for at least the initial stain damage.

WannaGettaCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Had same issue with a tinter I used for an Audi. Tinter used so much solution, it dripped into power side mirror and memory switches essentially shorting them out and had to be replaced - on my dime ($$). Since then I've only had tint applied via the dealer. Sure it costs more than me taking somewhere, probably $50.00 - $75.00 more on average. However, arranging it through the dealer does provide an out should something go wrong..."it was your guy not mine"...and a reputable dealer would honor the overall repairs.

Update:
    I called my local dealer to see what they would recommend. He gave me the name of a restoration contractor and I met up with him at the dealership. Turns out, he has a good relationship with the window tinter and even called the tinter on my behalf and will be able to remove the stain and repair the leather. To top it off, the restorer will bill the tinter directly so I won't have to worry about that. Final repairs should take place next week. My hope is that the outcome would have been the same even without their prior relationship. Furthermore, the tinter should exercise more care with EVERY car, not just brand new, higher end vehicles.

^^Good deal, glad to hear everything worked out well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.