Turbo/Injector Clicking Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Turbo/Injector Clicking Noise in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Purchased a VSport Premium last week in Cary NC - while on a road trip from SC to PA! Traded ...
    Innisfree is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium

Turbo/Injector Clicking Noise

Purchased a VSport Premium last week in Cary NC - while on a road trip from SC to PA! Traded in my 2011 CTS V. Miss the V, but this is a great car. Mine is silver with ebony interior. Carbon fiber is awesome.

One problem. Slight clicking noise seems to come through left air vent or thereabouts. Only when engine is under load. Frequency goes up as engine rpm goes up. Dealer told me it was turbo noise. I suspect it is injector noise.

Anyone else have this? If not, what might be wrong with mine? Haven't taken it to local dealer yet - not easy to go back to selling Dealer.

All ideas appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Turbo/Injector Clicking Noise

Correction to my post: seems it's more like the volume of the clicking noise goes up with engine rpm. The clicking frequency stays fairly constant.

WOT-Tuning is offline Vendor
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Congrats on your purchase! Great color combo!

There's a very recent bulletin from GM about this - the solenoids that controls the wastegates on the turbochargers can make this sort of noise. That's probably what the dealer meant. According to the bulletin, it is normal and no repairs are required.

Nextone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've not noticed this sound on mine. I'm at 2,600 miles...

Thanks, WOT-Tuning. Does it make sense that the noise seems to be coming from left side only?

Also, how can I see the service bulletins? I looked up Edmunds but couldn't see this one.

Jesusbautistajr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts
    Same here, bought mine 3 weeks ago, I first owned a 08 3.6 cts and I was bothered by the clicking noise, bought a 11 cts-v and the supercharger had a marble noise that was fixed by warranty by swapping out the entire supercharger, then now I get this. It comes on when I start the car, once it settles it goes away, when I raise the rpm it comes back, and while I'm driving I can hear it on my left side.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jesusbautistajr View Post
    Same here, bought mine 3 weeks ago, I first owned a 08 3.6 cts and I was bothered by the clicking noise, bought a 11 cts-v and the supercharger had a marble noise that was fixed by warranty by swapping out the entire supercharger, then now I get this. It comes on when I start the car, once it settles it goes away, when I raise the rpm it comes back, and while I'm driving I can hear it on my left side.
    That's a good description of the clicking noise. I believe it is the wastegates as the tech memo notes. I think it happens on both sides, but while driving you can only hear the left side. If you have someone else rev while parked, you can hear the clicking on both sides of the engine. I wouldn't mind if it didn't sound like a cheap loose exhaust kind of rattle. It is a low quality kind of noise, even though I know it is normal I still don't like it. Sort of like the LSA supercharger rattle - not something you really want to show off.

ctsteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport

100% the wastegate actuator arm, turbo wastegate arm itself.
    hedrives likes this.

Anybody from Cadillac reading all this? Should we have this noise in a $70k car? And, what's more, is it being amplified by the Bose system pumping in engine noise? Can it be fixed? I'd love to turn off the amplification and fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Innisfree View Post
    Anybody from Cadillac reading all this? Should we have this noise in a $70k car? And, what's more, is it being amplified by the Bose system pumping in engine noise? Can it be fixed? I'd love to turn off the amplification and fix it!
    We should not need to turn off the amplifcation as a fix, new turbos will most likely be the fix, or an actuator with a slightly shorter rod to remove the play in the turbo arm.

Shelly40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V Sport

I haven't heard this with mine.... Got it 3 weeks ago..... great car.... a blast to drive.....

Can it only be heard with the driver window down ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly40 View Post
    I haven't heard this with mine.... Got it 3 weeks ago..... great car.... a blast to drive.....

Can it only be heard with the driver window down ?
    keep the door open on a cold start and you will hear it sounds like a ratting noise that will go away after 10 seconds. I wish it was only a cold start thing, but it can also be heard on acceleration and deceleration from 1500-2500rpms.

VSport is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Innisfree View Post
    Correction to my post: seems it's more like the volume of the clicking noise goes up with engine rpm. The clicking frequency stays fairly constant.
    Mine does this too, do you think it might be something else?

I was wondering about this as well. Could it be something to do with AC or the air vent flaps/doors? Only thing is, why does it start at around 1500rpm. Mine's not there at idle or when driving steady at low revs. By the way, went for a drive in the hills yesterday, and my wife could hear the noise from the left side but no noise from the right side of the dash

Correction. Just listened with the hood up and my wife working the accelerator. The clicking is definitely coming from down in the engine, just where the other guys said it was. And you can even hear it at idle revs. So I guess the turbo actuator arm is the right diagnostic. I've been trying to talk with GM about it, but they don't want to know - so far. Guess we have to live with it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.