First road trip (2300 mile round trip to NC)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By hedrives
  • 1 Post By longislander
  • 1 Post By Guy.Seminerio
  • 1 Post By StoneCrab
  • 1 Post By Brad/Viper-Fan
  • 1 Post By Vsochs
  • 1 Post By hedrives
  • 1 Post By BigFred
  • 1 Post By hedrives
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, First road trip (2300 mile round trip to NC) in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Took my new Vsport on a trip from Houston to my home state, North Carolina, near Bryson City. Drove straight ...
    hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

First road trip (2300 mile round trip to NC)

Took my new Vsport on a trip from Houston to my home state, North Carolina, near Bryson City.
    Drove straight to Cleveland, TN the first day: 827 miles and felt totally fresh compared to my old C6 Corvette trips over the same road.
    HUGE difference.
    Impressions:
    • The adaptive cruise control rocks on the interstates. I wasn't sure about it until I got out there. Only issue is pulling out to pass and I still had to use gas pedal to speed up quickly enough.
    • I now "own" the CUE system. It just took time to acclimate (or for CUE to train ME to use it). I'd give it a solid B+.
    • Touring comfort is really good as expected from a luxury car. Vsport seats very supportive and not intrusive.
    • Handling is pretty damn good. I come from a road racing background and expect a lot from a chassis. I aggressively drove the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge from Cherokee to Mt. Pisgah (and back), Hellbender 28, 28 south to Highlands, Wayah Road, 107 North, Hwy 19 north from Bryson City, etc. and the car in Track mode was very good. The understeer could be overcome with trail braking and later throttle, these are all public roads so I didn't get too crazy. Overall I was very pleased considering this thing weighs 2 tons and has a long wheelbase. My friends driving and riding along were amazed. I never had to let anyone pass me on any road, just the opposite in fact.
    • The transmission is pretty nice BUT it needs tweaking for aggressive driving. While it is very smart and hold a gear when you are going downhill and allows engine braking, the shift algorythyms are not quite right.
    • Invisible bra is important on this car, it catches bugs very well.
    • (UPDATE) I used the OnStar for navigation a lot. Before my trip, even though I know my route very well, I used MapQuest to generate my route and uploaded to OnStar. Then, in car I hit the button and they downloaded my route to the car. During my trip I had them find locations and route me to them. Easy-peasy. I also used the nav inputs to locations and it worked MUCH better than the 1990 version nav system in my 2012 Corvette (which is damn near useless).
    • (UPDATE 2) Almost forgot... I got 27.1mpg for the entire trip: Houston to Almond, NC... through 5 days of twisty hooning... and back to Houston. I was very pleased AND surprised with that stat.

Now, I just need to install a tune from Trifecta or Hennessey to fix the tranny.

Picture from KillBoy on the Dragon as I see how much the tires can take. You can tell how flat this chassis corners.

CTSVsport_smallest.jpg

brad in Houston
    Vsochs likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

longislander is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS4 3.6 Luxury Radiant Silver/Twilight Blue

Re: First road trip (2300 mile round trip to NC)

That is a fantastic picture! Beautiful car. Is it a Base or Premium? Black Raven or Diamond? I can't tell from the pic.
    hedrives likes this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Looks raven. And I believe it's premium because of the emblem on the grille. It's the ACC emblem.
    hedrives likes this.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by longislander View Post
    That is a fantastic picture! Beautiful car. Is it a Base or Premium? Black Raven or Diamond? I can't tell from the pic.
    Looks great! The Premium and Base are supposed to have different wheels, but I can't see any difference (or they aren't actually different, yet).
    hedrives likes this.

Thanks longislander Guy.Seminerio and StoneCrab

My car is a black raven premium Vsport.
    Those are the 18" VSport wheels.

Picture was taken by KillBoy who is one of the oldest image grabbers on the Dragon.

Brad/Viper-Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Thanks for the review! Your bullet points are very helpful for those of us looking to buy one.
    hedrives likes this.

Vsochs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Yamaha FJR1300

Happen to video record any of your mountain runs? Hope you post videos of your Vsport road testing in the future. Thanks for the write up
    hedrives likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsochs View Post
    Happen to video record any of your mountain runs? Hope you post videos of your Vsport road testing in the future. Thanks for the write up
    Vsochs, I don't do videos from the car. A friend riding along on the Dragon took some in-car on his phone and we laughed at how slow it looked. I think a GoPro on the bumper would be much better but nothing gives you the dynamics of the car seat, IMHO.
    Thanks about the post, I hope it gives a bit more insight into the real world dynamics of this chassis. It's not a sports car by any means, but it can be hustled pretty darn fast. I wasn't passed the whole trip and caught sport bikes on the twisty roads (which always drives them crazy). cars are faster than bikes when you remove long straightaways.
    Vsochs likes this.

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

So jelly, I've been wanting to road trip this thing.
    hedrives likes this.

Here is another shot from the front that KillBoy grabbed.
    I was definitely the Bug Death Overlord on my trip.

brad in houston

CTSVsport_front_smallest.jpg
    Attached Images
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.