Tire wear and alignment issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Tire wear and alignment issue in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; I took my car in with about 6k miles for a really bad road/tire noise issue from the front end. ...
    StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Tire wear and alignment issue

I took my car in with about 6k miles for a really bad road/tire noise issue from the front end. I wasn't sure if I had a bad hub, alignment, or something with the steering/brakes. Also, sometimes when parking or turning at very low speeds, I would get a very coarse grinding noise and feel coming from the front end. That had me worried I had a bad hub or perhaps something with the electric steering. The car drove straight as an arrow with no pull whatsoever, so I didn't think it could be bad alignment. I noticed the tires were wearing unevenly (visually choppy / cupping) on the outside edge, which contributed the the very load road noise. On some road surfaces it was VERY load, like a Jeep on mud tires type of roar.

Turns out the alignment was spot on the factory specs. However, the front tires were worn so unevenly that they had to be replaced. Cadillac did the right thing and replaced the fronts under warranty. They also advised to rotate the tires (side to side) every 3k miles, again all covered under warranty. Apparently, the factory alignment is fairly aggressive and can cause the front tires to wear unevenly. It sounded to me like GM is aware of this potential problem and I could see them issuing revised alignment specs sometime in the future.

The coarse grinding sensation and noise I was hearing was apparently the tires crabbing at sharp turning angles when parking. I've had a few wide tired performance cars (CTS-V2, C6 Z06, C5 Z06) and never experienced anything like this though. I'm familiar with the V2 and Corvette crabbing issue when reversing and turning at low speeds, but this was much worse and happened at moderate turning angles when forward slowly. It felt and sounded like I scraped bad on a parking stop or curb, only there wasn't one!

So, a headsup to keep an eye on your front tire wear as you get some miles. Frequent rotations may be required to keep tire wear even. The issue appears to be gone with the new front tires though! And a big thanks to GM/Cadillac and my dealer who did the right thing to resolve the issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

Re: Tire wear and alignment issue

Thanks for the report.

I asked about alignment specs a few weeks ago on here and got zero information.
    Do you possibly have the stock alignment specs?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

If you're getting unusual/uneven wear on the outside shoulders then it sounds to me like the factory alignment specs aren't aggressive enough.

As hedrives asked, did you get the actual factory specs? Did they give you a printout showing the specs and what your numbers are?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Jhduca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet. Wanting v-sport
    My CTS is in for its first oil change and my only request was to rotate the tires side to side. I havealsonoticedthecupping and loudness from the tires (andthecrabbing). Will be interesting to see what happens long term. I asked for the tire noise to be documented on the service papers just in case of future issues.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hedrives View Post
    Thanks for the report.

I asked about alignment specs a few weeks ago on here and got zero information.
    Do you possibly have the stock alignment specs?
    I don't have the specs but will ask for them. My dealer opened a TAC case on the issue and checked alignment against factory specs, so they do have them.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    If you're getting unusual/uneven wear on the outside shoulders then it sounds to me like the factory alignment specs aren't aggressive enough.

As hedrives asked, did you get the actual factory specs? Did they give you a printout showing the specs and what your numbers are?
    I don't think it is a camber issue (too much or little). I think it is caster or toe causing the unusual wear. I think the aggressive factory alignment is part of the reason why the new CTS is getting such great handling scores and reviews. But that comes at a cost of increased front tire wear, in my opinion. I admit I did not really visually check the inside edge, I just noticed the outside shoulder was visually uneven/cupped some. They checked my alignment and said it was dead on the factory specs and the car drove straight as an arrow and handled perfectly even with the uneven wear. It just roared like a truck on 35" mudders. I mean like you couldn't have a conversation with a passenger on some road surfaces. I'll see if I can get the factory alignment specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhduca View Post
    My CTS is in for its first oil change and my only request was to rotate the tires side to side. I havealsonoticedthecupping and loudness from the tires (andthecrabbing). Will be interesting to see what happens long term. I asked for the tire noise to be documented on the service papers just in case of future issues.
    How many miles do you have? I drive a lot of miles, mostly highway, so I figure I may be the first to see any issues related with higher mileage. They say to rotate every 3k miles now, which I will do. But if the problem still occurs I will be interested to see what they do. I doubt they will keep putting tires on, which makes me suspect they might issue revised alignment specs, maybe as a TSB. Who knows though.

.gearhead. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport Premium

I have 2300 miles on mine and I've noticed the same noise while slowly turning or pulling into my driveway for the past two days...

grasshopper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

From my experience, outside cupping is usually due to bad toe.

Ask the dealer what they mean by the alignment was spot on. The factory specification is usually a range and not a just simple number. So your particular car can be within the specification but at very edge of the range.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    From my experience, outside cupping is usually due to bad toe.

Ask the dealer what they mean by the alignment was spot on. The factory specification is usually a range and not a just simple number. So your particular car can be within the specification but at very edge of the range.
    Exactly what I was thinking. For both my Subaru and my V, I'm amazed at what is "in spec" per the FSM - for both cars, an "in spec" alignment could very easily devour tires. I'm interested to see what StoneCrab gets from the dealer.

Jhduca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet. Wanting v-sport
    Had about 6500 when it went in. The rotation quieted down the noise (after 500 or so miles ). Will wait and see how they wear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.