clicking sound with cold start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, clicking sound with cold start in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; My Vsport makes a fast clicking type sound for 2 or 3 seconds on cold start. Once warmed up any ...
    StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

clicking sound with cold start

My Vsport makes a fast clicking type sound for 2 or 3 seconds on cold start. Once warmed up any restart doesn't make the sound. It sounds like a solenoid or something but it is kind of irregular. It is coming from the engine bay. It sounds almost like something rattling on the exhaust, but not quite that irregular. I don't like it, it is a cheap kind of sound. Does yours do that? I don't notice it inside the car normally, only if the windows are down in the garage or if I'm outside the car with remote start. I'll try to post a video of the sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

Re: clicking sound with cold start

I listened this morning when I started the car and I didn't hear anything clicking.

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Is it the sound of the auto rotating headlights. If listen they produce a clicking sound at start up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Quote Originally Posted by gmfamily View Post
    Is it the sound of the auto rotating headlights. If you listen they produce a clicking sound at start up.

Nope, not the headlights. This is coming from the engine for sure. Sounds almost like a solenoid clicking or maybe something rattling on the exhaust. It is very noticeable. I also noticed it while driving in a parking garage under very light throttle. I am going to have the dealer check it out, but I'm worried this is one of those things that they won't be able to identify.

CapnCurt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

I hear it on mine also when I first started up. Definitely coming from under the car and it sounds like something iTs supposed to do, I'm just not quite sure what it is.

WOT-Tuning is offline Vendor
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

From the description, it sounds like it's either the direct injection (DI) pump pressure regulator solenoid or the perhaps sound of the injectors themselves. During cold-starts, the vehicle utilizes a dual-pulse injection event and altered fuel rail pressures to light off the catalytic converters much more quickly. This lasts for about 30-60 seconds, depending on how cold the ambient air temperatures and engine coolant temperatures are (such that if the engine coolant temperature is above around 130*F it won't enter this mode at all).

GM has done much to quiet the sound of the DI control system, but in some cases these components can still be heard. Not a bad idea to have a dealer check it out though.

WOT-Tuning is offline Vendor
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Also, this apparently could be noise from the turbocharger wastegate(s). GM Service manuals posted a new bulletin about this on the LF3 two days ago stating there can be a click or rattle for a few seconds upon cold startup. It's considered normal operation and does not warrant any repair.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT-Tuning View Post
    Also, this apparently could be noise from the turbocharger wastegate(s). GM Service manuals posted a new bulletin about this on the LF3 two days ago stating there can be a click or rattle for a few seconds upon cold startup. It's considered normal operation and does not warrant any repair.
    I believe that is it. Disappointing tough, as it is not a good or pleasant sound. To me it sounds very cheap, like a rattly exhaust. I assume they all do this, but if so I'm surprised more people don't recognize it.

Perses is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

You know, if you hadn't pointed this out I would have never figured to go and look... But now that I have my car does the same thing.

Antero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

Mine does the same for about 15 seconds or so.

Innisfree is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium

I started another thread on this. In my case I hear the clicking noise all the time, or at least whenever I touch the accelerator pedal. Some folks think it's the turbo wastegate actuator arms, some think it's the di high pressure system. The folks at GM think it's the di system. Anyway, we should know more soon when GM Tech takes a look - or rather a listen.

Jesusbautistajr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts
    Have the same noise, I'm fine with the cold start noise, because that eventually goes away, what Im getting a headache about is the rattle every time I accelerate. Took it to my dealer, service rep immediately heard it, took the car in, gave me a rental, next day tells me it's the muffler, two weeks later muffler comes in, drop the car off, new muffler and nothing changed, service rep tells me they have another new vsport in the lot, we go to it, sure enough, their twins. Same exact rattle coming from that one on acceleration. ). Is this the sacrifice of a twin turbo v6. If so, window sticker should mention a warning of an annoying rattle heard on acceleration. Came to LA area to visit family, gonna go to the dealership where I bought my vsport. They had about 10 when I bought mine. See if I find more twins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.