Vsport test drive, (by 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged owner)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Vsport test drive, (by 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged owner) in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Drove the vsport premium, fully loaded for 20 minutes. Here I'm comparing to my current 2011 XF S/C: Ride - ...
    yidal8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Vsport test drive, (by 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged owner)

Drove the vsport premium, fully loaded for 20 minutes. Here I'm comparing to my current 2011 XF S/C:
    Ride - harsher even in tour mode. Those RFTs suck in my view, even compared to the XF S/C that has the 20" staggered also. I guess this is the 'German' ride.....
    No spare tire - a huge negative in New York area with these potholes.
    Handling - sportier than the XF, car feel smaller, steering is better, more toss-able. Overall Ride/handling compromise is better in the XF , but Vsport feels lighter so easier to drive faster. Both have great dynamics.
    Trans - mine is 6 speed, but this 8 felt fine to me. paddle shifting not as quick or smooth as the Jag's best-in-class ZF set-up .
    Cabin noise - quiet like the XF
    Interior quality/fit/finish - one step below XF, but close
    Ergonomics - worse with many buttons all over the place, very fussy, and CUE will take time to get used to
    outward visibility - worse than even the XF, rear window very small and slanted, side mirrors tiny and narrow.
    Driver Seating position - very good supportive comfortable seat, good steering wheel, good dead pedal location and angle - better driver control than the XF
    Back seat - XF more comfortable as Vsport cushion too low, but slightly more legroom than XF
    Engine noise - nice almost as the blown V-8, sounds sporty under load
    Power/acceleration - seems similar to the XF, but the XF mid-range is a beast ( Jaguar always under-rates the engines, and mine has the ECU upgrade also). I did not try 'Track' mode
    Exterior styling - nice but playing it safe/conservative. This is not bad, as I like driving a sleeper. 18" wheels look small on this car
    Value - Base Performance model is a great value. But, surprisingly in Premium, it's more expensive, not a value proposition even compared to the fully loaded XF with the blown V-8. But since Jaguar USA does not support their resale values, leasing the Vsport will be comparable, or even less.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

leroy_ctscoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Re: Vsport test drive, (by 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged owner)

Great comparison write-up. Both great cars!!

CadillacVic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Performance

I agree outward visibility is mediocre in this car if you are tall. I am 6"1 and find that my seat is too far back. At traffic lights, I have to stop WAY before the white line to see the red light. A negative, but I am getting used to it.

I agree with comfort. I just came back from a 5 day trip where I drove about 700 miles, including 150 miles on the way back home. The seats are really comfortable and I wasn't tired at all. In my 2005 Lexus LS my thighs would start hurting after a couple hours due to lack of support. My passengers were also very comfortable in the Caddy, front and back.

The thing that I really love about the Vsport is flexibility. I fancy this to be my 4-door GT car. In tour mode, I can drive my passengers in comfort while still feeling the road and having ample power when I need to. Best of all, I am not bored in GT mode when I drive carefully. In track mode, the car is a beast - I feel every bump (once) and the power is outstanding when the Performance Shift Algorithm (PSA) kicks in.

My only wish is for a V button on the steering - it will turn on and off the PSA. The car is great at anticipating spirited driving, but it cannot predict it. If I want an option for a fixed high-rev mode, I should be able to get it.

Another thing that I actually really like is the safety alert seat. I thought I would turn it off completely along with all the safety warnings when I was buying the car. But I ended up completely loving it. I love quiet vibration of the seat instead of beeping. The steering is tighter than I am used so it's great to have something to keep me in line when I am not paying 100% attention.

I am a value buyer. I believe for $60K the base Vsport is a true gem. You can get a higher performance sports car for less. You can also get a more luxurious car for less. But you cannot get another car that is both as sporty and luxurious as this one without paying tens of thousands of dollars more.

cdiez58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

nice comparison...although...the std run flat tires minimizes that it has no spare

yidal8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm the OP, Took a second test drive yesterday at another dealer. I wanted to verify my initial impressions from above:
    Ride - was much nicer this time. therefore I assume the first test the tire pressures were too high?. In 'tour' mode, going over minor potholes, it felt same or even nicer than my XF S/C, hard to tell the difference. In 'track', it wasn't too bad either, but the test drive was about 10 miles total.....
    Power - low end torque is good, did not hear any turbo related noises with all windows closed (maybe in 'track' driving aggressive it will do it?). Same as my XF - there is no supercharger whine at all. The top end is weaker, you feel the power tapering off a bit above 5,500 rpm, where the XF SC keeps pumping it to the rev. limiter. I did not look at the turbo boost behavior - should be interesting to see if further tune is possible
    Tranny- eager to downshift when called for, no complaints. The paddles worked fine up and down (in 'D'), but 8-9 speeds is getting ridiculous if you like using the paddles downshifting manually (Jag has 8 now also). I live in a very hilly area, and paddle down shift all the time, also to conserve my brake pads ( though my 2011 XF is fully maintenance free including all wear items except tires ala BMW style)
    RFT - the salesman admitted this is bad news in NY/LI area after this winter, and they are probably going to lose repeat sales just because of these stupid tires.
    Value - Loaded premium MSRP is within $1000 of a new XF S/C today. If I was to lease one today, comparing exactly apples to apples terms, the vsport premium monthly payment would end up being about $200 less than the Jag
    Service - Jag oil change at 15,000 miles/or one year. I absolutely love this, as I drive close to that yearly. Jag oil changes are also free, but not air filters, cabin filters, etc. (also, Jag discontinued the BMW style maintenance free program I have now). So for 36-39 month lease, I have to see the Jag dealer only 3 times for oil changes. With the vsport, its 6-7 times at least for oil changes. Jag dealer gives me a loaner always. Cadillac does not offer loaners for scheduled maintenance. This really sucks. My jag dealer is 5 miles away, the closest Caddy is 16 miles.

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

Thanks for the update. I also liked the car more on the second test drive. It is interesting to see more proof that when you lease, there can be a big variance between similar priced cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.