Swapped the brand new OEM tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Swapped the brand new OEM tires in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; OK, given a choice, what would you rather have: a) the OEM Summer tires, with no option b) the choice ...
    RobJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Swapped the brand new OEM tires

OK, given a choice, what would you rather have:

a) the OEM Summer tires, with no option
    b) the choice of an Ultra High Performance all season tire or the Summer tires when ordering / selecting the Vsport.

I ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position RFT from Tire Rack for $1200 (including shipping) for the following reasons:

1) The ability to confidently drive the car at temps under 40 degrees without having to swap out for winter tires (I won't drive this car in the snow, but will drive it on cold dry days)
    2) The fact that the OEM tires have a zero treadlife warranty and a treadwear rating of 220. The Bridgestones have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty and a treadwear rating of 400
    3) The fact that the Summer tires seem to pick up every speck of road grit and fling it against the car. I drove about 100 miles on the Summer tires before my Bridgestones came in, and I cringed hearing that happen.
    4) I would say that the most agressive that I get with the car is 8/10 or 9/10. I don't intend to track it. Yes, I know that I'm giving away just a bit of handling, but "not much". That's my assessment after comparing the handling for a few days on the Summers and a few days on the Bridgestones.

I got a few hundred bucks from the dealer for the OEM tires, not great, but OK. They just don't sell many Vsports and he could get stuck with the tires.

I respect the capabilities of the Summer tires and those that choose to run them. I went to all season tires on my C5 Vette a couple years ago for the same reasons. This was the best decision for me, but is certainly a matter of preference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Swapped the brand new OEM tires

All seasons are a reasonable choice for this car. Yes they compromise ultimate handling but you gain safety and utility in cold temps. If you live where it gets cold then all seasons can add months of driving versus summer only tires. I will go to a high performance all season after the P zeros are worn (which prob won't be long). The P zeros are getting noisy now with some miles on them too.

Bigplay is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade, 2014 CTS V-sport Premium

Quote Originally Posted by RobJeff View Post
    OK, given a choice, what would you rather have:

a) the OEM Summer tires, with no option
    b) the choice of an Ultra High Performance all season tire or the Summer tires when ordering / selecting the Vsport.

I ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position RFT from Tire Rack for $1200 (including shipping) for the following reasons:

1) The ability to confidently drive the car at temps under 40 degrees without having to swap out for winter tires (I won't drive this car in the snow, but will drive it on cold dry days)
    2) The fact that the OEM tires have a zero treadlife warranty and a treadwear rating of 220. The Bridgestones have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty and a treadwear rating of 400
    3) The fact that the Summer tires seem to pick up every speck of road grit and fling it against the car. I drove about 100 miles on the Summer tires before my Bridgestones came in, and I cringed hearing that happen.
    4) I would say that the most agressive that I get with the car is 8/10 or 9/10. I don't intend to track it. Yes, I know that I'm giving away just a bit of handling, but "not much". That's my assessment after comparing the handling for a few days on the Summers and a few days on the Bridgestones.

I got a few hundred bucks from the dealer for the OEM tires, not great, but OK. They just don't sell many Vsports and he could get stuck with the tires.

I respect the capabilities of the Summer tires and those that choose to run them. I went to all season tires on my C5 Vette a couple years ago for the same reasons. This was the best decision for me, but is certainly a matter of preference.
    Did you stay with the staggered sizes or did you get all 4 in the same size.

I stayed with the staggered sizes that were original to the car. If you put this car into a Tire Rack.com tire search, you'll see that the Bridgestones are the only option in a run flat ultra high performance all season tire. There are several other non RFT's that match the original tire size as well. I wanted to stay with the RFT's.

Also, I do think that these tires are a bit quieter at highway speeds than the original summers.

Nextone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium

Quote Originally Posted by RobJeff View Post
    I stayed with the staggered sizes that were original to the car. If you put this car into a Tire Rack.com tire search, you'll see that the Bridgestones are the only option in a run flat ultra high performance all season tire. There are several other non RFT's that match the original tire size as well. I wanted to stay with the RFT's.

Also, I do think that these tires are a bit quieter at highway speeds than the original summers.
    I'd love to see pics of the Bridgestones mounted on the Vsport wheels...

CadillacVic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Performance

Thanks for the post. I will probably end up using these as my winter set of tires (it will be garaged on snow days).

Here are some pictures of the Bridgestones on my car. They are the Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position RFT, with the exact sizes as the OEM's
    Attached Images

Here's a few more pics of the Bridgestones. Better view of side profile.
    Attached Images

Scootguy51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Been driving around on the B-stone RFT's on the Z06 for at least the last 40K miles. They track and wear much better than the OEM GY. They also
    cut down on the road noise, which was a big plus. They also came standard on our 2011 MT 335i, which I track on occasion. No surprises and great
    road holding. Just a note, both vehicles are useless in snow/ice, but drivable under all other conditions.
    PS: Daily driver is an 09 CTS...Waiting for the V Sport with the new 8speed.

BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium

I have never seen the new CTS in that color. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.