I see what you did there, Cadillac
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, I see what you did there, Cadillac in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; I'm very impressed with this car, and may get around to posts about my buying experience and an overall car ...
  1. #1
    BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    170

    I see what you did there, Cadillac

    I'm very impressed with this car, and may get around to posts about my buying experience and an overall car review; but I wanted to give Cadillac some credit for the details they put into this car. I noticed, and so did my firend with an M5. Here are some I noticed. I'm hoping someone else points out something I missed.

    -The car uses a lot of aluminum in the front end, including the grill surround. It may appear to be chrome at first blush, but take a look at the aluminum finish. It is beautiful.

    - Real carbon fiber trim. It used to be only Audi gave you real carbon fiber, yet the S4 I just traded in had imitation CF. I feel like Cadillac knows that they will be put under the microscope by the German sedan buyers and they realize they can't cut any corners, or they will be crucified.

    - Magnesium shifter paddles.

    - The rear three blade LED light lights.

    - Although not in danger of being overlooked: The front LED runninglights are stunning, and not just a obvious add-on feature. Audi did it right, and everyone else just slapped them on. This is the first implementation I can recall that stands on its own merits.

    - The headlights are a single piece, using a shutter of some sort to switch between high and low beam.

    - The bottom door pockets are soft touch. In fact, I haven't noticed any hard plastic other than at the B pillar, which should be rarely touched or noticed sinced it is covered by the seat.

    - Time was spent making the LCD gauge cluster pleasing, with cool transitions.

    - The piped in engine audio is supposedly real audio, and not a recording.

    - Rear window shades for the quarter windows.

    - They grabbed an Aisin 8-speed auto when their 8-speed wasn't ready in time, instead of sticking us with a 6-speed.

    -And one last thing that doesn't truly fit the thread: The Bose audio is good, not great. But thank you for not giving us a junky base sound system, and then charging $5,900 for the upgraded audio from a company known more for the design of their products than their performance.

    This car is a serious piece of machinery. I have so much to say about it, but I'll stop here.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Razlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Thanks! Have been considering a VSport. Your post makes me want one even more. And helps me decide to go with the black interior to get the carbon fiber, instead of possibly the kona with wood.

  4. #3
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,470

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    the grill is not aluminum its real chrome, but they toned it down with a satin finish, it's called Galvano Satin Chrome....all the trim panels feature real materials (real wood, real aluminum, real carbon fiber) and the brakes feature a signed brakelight assembly basically the 'Cadillac' script is floating in the brakelight, and the doors are aluminum too

    you also forgot the trapped hood design, they inlayed or inset the hood into the bodywork to eliminate cut lines

  5. #4
    StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    145

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Good points! On the stereo, make sure the 'Centerpoint' option is enabled. That makes it sounds a lot better, in my opinion. It was disabled by default on mine.

    A couple other positive things I've noticed -

    1. Sport mode remains selected when restarted. I like sport mode the best and I appreciate not having to re-select it every time I start the car.
    2. If you get a little sideways the seat belts quickly pretension. Nice safety feature!
    3. In auto mode, the car senses how you are driving and will hold gears longer and downshift more quickly. This happens even if you are not on the gas but are taking a fast turn.
    4. If you put it in track mode, you can turn stability and traction control completely off by pressing the traction button twice

  6. #5
    CadillacVic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Performance
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    I love my Vsport base. Got it without sunroof for more head room and better performance due to lower weight. I only care about performance so only missing the head-up display from the Premium trim.

    I like sport mode, but I think I like track mode more. The manual says tranny algorithm is the same between sport and track, but I think track is more aggressive. In track, the car will downshift when I brake. I love this feature. Maybe it's present in sport mode and I only notice it because of more noise.

  7. #6
    BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    170
    Thread Starter

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Yes, I forgot the inlaid hood. I was nuts over that for two days. I can't believe I left it off the list.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Razlaw View Post
    Thanks! Have been considering a VSport. Your post makes me want one even more. And helps me decide to go with the black interior to get the carbon fiber, instead of possibly the kona with wood.
    Razlaw. My first test drive was in a Kona interior. I love the open pore wood and the semi-aniline leather (It is definitely an upgrade). That would have been my first choice, but the dealer who made me the deal had the carbon fiber interior. I usually prefer wood to carbon fiber, or dark stained wood, but this all black is growing on me. And the Vsport is already such a sleeper, it almost needs the sporty touch.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacVic View Post
    I love my Vsport base. Got it without sunroof for more head room and better performance due to lower weight. I only care about performance so only missing the head-up display from the Premium trim.

    I like sport mode, but I think I like track mode more. The manual says tranny algorithm is the same between sport and track, but I think track is more aggressive. In track, the car will downshift when I brake. I love this feature. Maybe it's present in sport mode and I only notice it because of more noise.
    I don't think it is a coincidence that Cadillac gave base models to the magazines for testing. I need to try track mode more. Although Car and Driver said "Sport" and "Track" should be renamed "Track" and "Track, Seriously", my friend with the M5 said he would keep it in track mode all the time.

  8. #7
    Burnrub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFred View Post
    I'm very impressed with this car, and may get around to posts about my buying experience and an overall car review; but I wanted to give Cadillac some credit for the details they put into this car. I noticed, and so did my firend with an M5. Here are some I noticed. I'm hoping someone else points out something I missed.
    The CTS is a great car, but there are a couple flaws that hold it back from its german peers. Most importantly to me is the fact that the standard CTS comes only with leather seating surfaces. I originally looked at a CTS VSport (non-premium) with black leather interior. Boy was I surprised to see the back of the seat pockets was made from something cheap like vinyl and not leather. It looked embarrassingly cheap! This might not seem like a big deal to some folks, BUT if you're used to driving a BMW 535 like I am where all interior materials are first rate - fake leather is a non-starter. That means the only option for me is the Vsport $70K premium model. C'mon Cadillac fake leather in a $60,000 car? You're better than that!

  9. #8
    Burnrub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    duplicate

  10. #9
    pissedoffwookiee's Avatar
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,470

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnrub View Post
    The CTS is a great car, but there are a couple flaws that hold it back from its german peers. Most importantly to me is the fact that the standard CTS comes only with leather seating surfaces. I originally looked at a CTS VSport (non-premium) with black leather interior. Boy was I surprised to see the back of the seat pockets was made from something cheap like vinyl and not leather. It looked embarrassingly cheap! This might not seem like a big deal to some folks, BUT if you're used to driving a BMW 535 like I am where all interior materials are first rate - fake leather is a non-starter. That means the only option for me is the Vsport $70K premium model. C'mon Cadillac fake leather in a $60,000 car? You're better than that!
    you are incorrect the 5 series does leather surfaces too....this is a common practice sometimes it's cost savings sometimes what you might perceive as the better material is not the best for that application (high wear area for example) a quick google search and I found THIS DOCUMENT on BMW's website check out what it says on the interior section

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    Good points! On the stereo, make sure the 'Centerpoint' option is enabled. That makes it sounds a lot better, in my opinion. It was disabled by default on mine.

    A couple other positive things I've noticed -

    1. Sport mode remains selected when restarted. I like sport mode the best and I appreciate not having to re-select it every time I start the car.
    2. If you get a little sideways the seat belts quickly pretension. Nice safety feature!
    3. In auto mode, the car senses how you are driving and will hold gears longer and downshift more quickly. This happens even if you are not on the gas but are taking a fast turn.
    4. If you put it in track mode, you can turn stability and traction control completely off by pressing the traction button twice
    4 is incorrect.....to turn off traction control and stabilitrak you press and hold TC button until both the traction control light and the stabilitrak light come on........to enter competitive or race mode you press mode until you are in track mode then tap TC twice you should see the same lights come on but also a message that you entered competitive mode

    competitive mode still has stabilitrak enabled but it's turned way down and can sometimes be faster than if everything is full off, also you get and even stiffer setting for the steering wheel and a more aggressive program for the eLSD
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

  11. #10
    BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    170
    Thread Starter

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnrub View Post
    The CTS is a great car, but there are a couple flaws that hold it back from its german peers. Most importantly to me is the fact that the standard CTS comes only with leather seating surfaces. I originally looked at a CTS VSport (non-premium) with black leather interior. Boy was I surprised to see the back of the seat pockets was made from something cheap like vinyl and not leather. It looked embarrassingly cheap! This might not seem like a big deal to some folks, BUT if you're used to driving a BMW 535 like I am where all interior materials are first rate - fake leather is a non-starter. That means the only option for me is the Vsport $70K premium model. C'mon Cadillac fake leather in a $60,000 car? You're better than that!
    I know this was a detail thread, but you don't buy a VSport because of the details. You buy it for the superior chassis and power. This is exactly why they paid attention to the details: leather pockets guy. Guess they can't win everyone over

  12. #11
    Burnrub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    I know most OEMs use fake leather, but it's usually put in places where it isn't that noticeable...the seat pocket is pretty obvious.

    And what do you mean people don't buy Vsports for the details? Cadillac by its very definition is a luxury vehicle and luxury items are defined by attention to detail. I think Cadillac would tell you they are focusing on the details more now than ever

  13. #12
    BigFred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 2014 Vsport Premium
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    170
    Thread Starter

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnrub View Post
    I know most OEMs use fake leather, but it's usually put in places where it isn't that noticeable...the seat pocket is pretty obvious.

    And what do you mean people don't buy Vsports for the details? Cadillac by its very definition is a luxury vehicle and luxury items are defined by attention to detail. I think Cadillac would tell you they are focusing on the details more now than ever
    They are focusing on the details, that's the point of this thread, but you don't buy a Vsport for the details. I read the reviews. I read the Alpha platform was the best handling sedan platform going. Magnetic suspension, 4000 lb., 420hp 430 lb. ft., 12.8 @ 112, .97g, shortest stopping sedan Motor Trend ever tested. That's what got me in to the dealership, and driving it sealed the deal. I didn't notice any of these details until after I bought the car. My first impression of the Bose sound system wasn't very good. The only details I did notice, the semi-aniline leather and open pore wood, I didn't even get. I will say that nothing about the car turned me off, which could be contributed to details, but no, I didn't buy this car for the (non-mechanical) details.

  14. #13
    Burnrub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    .......

  15. #14
    Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Whitestone, NY
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Burnrub, don't be fooled by BMW's "reputation." Leather is NOT standard in the 5 series.

  16. #15
    Burnrub is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: I see what you did there, Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Burnrub, don't be fooled by BMW's "reputation." Leather is NOT standard in the 5 series.
    I'm well aware of that. But I wouldn't spend my money on a BMW without leather either. It's kind of like wearing a $2,000 suit with $20 dollar shoes.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFred View Post
    They are focusing on the details, that's the point of this thread, but you don't buy a Vsport for the details. I read the reviews. I read the Alpha platform was the best handling sedan platform going. Magnetic suspension, 4000 lb., 420hp 430 lb. ft., 12.8 @ 112, .97g, shortest stopping sedan Motor Trend ever tested. That's what got me in to the dealership, and driving it sealed the deal. I didn't notice any of these details until after I bought the car. My first impression of the Bose sound system wasn't very good. The only details I did notice, the semi-aniline leather and open pore wood, I didn't even get. I will say that nothing about the car turned me off, which could be contributed to details, but no, I didn't buy this car for the (non-mechanical) details.
    I looked at the CTS and I looked at its competitors. I noticed the details and I noticed the whole package. Each of the cars I looked at had their flaws in my eyes... But the CTS Vsport was the most perfect out of them all. That's why I'm now an ex-BMW owner. And because I'm a leather seat-pocket guy - I got the premium model . Phantom Grey.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting