Vsport quirks and problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Vsport quirks and problems in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; Since the CTS is so new, those of us here that have one are going to be the first to ...
    StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Vsport quirks and problems

Since the CTS is so new, those of us here that have one are going to be the first to identify quirks and issues. Here are a few things I have noticed in the first 2000 miles.

1. Exhaust soot on the chrome tips. Every Vsport I've seen has this soot. It cleans up easily with a damp towel, but looks a little dingy. The engine must run rich. I've noticed on cold start that there is an initial puff of soot.

2. Pzero tires are sticky and pickup every little pebble and sand. Not sure if it is the compound or tread design, but I've noticed any small pebbles or sand tends to get picked up by the tires. I'm worried the rocker panels behind the tires are going to look like hell after a few miles as they get chewed up by sand and pebbles. I already have a few small nicks. They should put some protective covering or material on the areas right behind the tires.

3. I've noticed a drive-line clunk at least once. It was on deceleration and I think timed with a gear change. This was noticed in an early review as well. I don't think it is a sign of any problem though. Does not appear to happen very often.

4. Weird steering sound/vibration when parking. I've noticed this maybe 3 times. When parking or turning at very low speeds, sometimes there is this weird vibration sound coming through the steering wheel. I've wondered if it is the adaptive headlights turning at max angle or maybe straightening out. If so, they should make it less noisy. No sign of any problem, just an odd sound/vibration sometimes.

5. Bluetooth calls pickup a lot of background noise. This might be my cell phone (Samsung GS4) and not the car. People on the other end of the call tell me there is a lot of background noise when I'm on a Bluetooth call in the car. Anybody else had this issue?

6. This car gets more attention than I expected. I've had three people stop and ask about it and compliment the car. The strange thing is they recognize it is a Cadillac but not a CTS. Seems like the design is popular overall. Might be because it is an all new design and peope are seeing it for the first time. I didn't get that much attention from the general public in my V2, it tended to get noticed by car guys only (which wasn't a bad thing!).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Medmal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v sport

Re: Vsport quirks and problems

WOW! Every car has its positives and negatives. I am enjoying my V-Sport immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Medmal View Post
    WOW! Every car has its positives and negatives. I am enjoying my V-Sport immensely.
    Yes, exactly, my Vsport is great as well. I don't mean to imply that I dislike the car - it is a really great car! But as you say all cars have quirks and issues, and I thought this thread would be a good place to note them so we can see what are common issues. Would be good info for prospective buyers as well.

Antero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    Since the CTS is so new, those of us here that have one are going to be the first to identify quirks and issues. Here are a few things I have noticed in the first 2000 miles.

1. Exhaust soot on the chrome tips. Every Vsport I've seen has this soot. It cleans up easily with a damp towel, but looks a little dingy. The engine must run rich. I've noticed on cold start that there is an initial puff of soot.

Ive had this happen on just about every turbo car ive owned. Just make it a habit to wipe them clean once a week and the chrome will look perfect.

2. Pzero tires are sticky and pickup every little pebble and sand. Not sure if it is the compound or tread design, but I've noticed any small pebbles or sand tends to get picked up by the tires. I'm worried the rocker panels behind the tires are going to look like hell after a few miles as they get chewed up by sand and pebbles. I already have a few small nicks. They should put some protective covering or material on the areas right behind the tires.

Ive also noticed this. 2nd day driving it was really wet. Since they started using a sand mix here because they ran out of salt my tires were almost more tan then black. I have to say though, the tires are really sticky in a good way. There are a few back roads around here with some nice curves and hills and the car really sticks to the road.

3. I've noticed a drive-line clunk at least once. It was on deceleration and I think timed with a gear change. This was noticed in an early review as well. I don't think it is a sign of any problem though. Does not appear to happen very often.

Ive noticed while in sport mode coming to a stop, the 2nd to 1st change seems a little hard. I definitely feel a clunk more often then id like to.

4. Weird steering sound/vibration when parking. I've noticed this maybe 3 times. When parking or turning at very low speeds, sometimes there is this weird vibration sound coming through the steering wheel. I've wondered if it is the adaptive headlights turning at max angle or maybe straightening out. If so, they should make it less noisy. No sign of any problem, just an odd sound/vibration sometimes.

It is the adaptive headlights. They are SUPER loud. Although I dont feel any vibration.

5. Bluetooth calls pickup a lot of background noise. This might be my cell phone (Samsung GS4) and not the car. People on the other end of the call tell me there is a lot of background noise when I'm on a Bluetooth call in the car. Anybody else had this issue?

No complains that ive heard. I have an iphone 4S.

6. This car gets more attention than I expected. I've had three people stop and ask about it and compliment the car. The strange thing is they recognize it is a Cadillac but not a CTS. Seems like the design is popular overall. Might be because it is an all new design and peope are seeing it for the first time. I didn't get that much attention from the general public in my V2, it tended to get noticed by car guys only (which wasn't a bad thing!).

People always stop and check out the headlights/LED upfront.
    All in all it is a great car. I actually hit 30MPG on the HWY doing 64MPH using adaptive cruise (thanks to a nice IL state trooper). Coming for my 11 V2 I have to say with an exhaust and a tune it is probably one of the best cars ive driven.

A comment on MPG. I have been getting great MPG, highway travel at 75 to 80 mph has been 26-27MPG. In town seems to be around 19, but depends on how you drive. If you give it the boot it will pour the fuel on. The engine has 10.2 compression, pretty high for forced induction (credit the direct injection), which helps it get good MPG. Considering this thing makes 420+ HP I am really impressed with the MPG. I am averaging overall 22.5 MPG (hand calculated).

I've noticed it seems sensitive to fuel quality. I swear I can tell a difference on 93 octane versus 91.

Yea, at about 75 im right at 26mpg. City driving with sport mode or manual shift i'm seeing about 17. I wish the vsport had a real time mpg meter like the V2 had. Not a fan of always have to reset the trip meter.

hedrives is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black

1. Ditto. It's going to be a constant cleaning issue.
    2. Same an any sticky tires. My ex-Corvettes' Michelins and GY Supercars did the same.
    3. Have noticed the same when in Track mode on corner entry when in D.
    4. Not experienced this.
    5. No one has mentioned this with my iPhone 5s. Could be I'm overriding that with my deep Southern drawl.
    6. I've noticed that myself. I think the cool-as-hell LED DRLs help. The CTS front end is VERY distinctive. I even got a CTSv wave from an approaching CTSv yesterday. Getting out of a black Corvette Grand Sport convertible I thought I'd have some stealth. Wrong.

eurofixer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport
    I must have a serious heavy right foot...

My combined according to the car is 17.1 mpg, although it's 80% city. Is anyone else this bad?

17 is about right if you are having fun and doing a lot of city driving.

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Again, like the OP, this is just little things I have noticed. Overall this is one of, if not the best car I have ever owned.

1. Yes, I have heard the clunk once while slowing to a stoplight.

2. Yes, soft compound tires pick up all types of rocks. However, these P-Zeros grip a lot better in the cold than the Michelins on my V2.

3. The first time I called OnStar they thought I was driving with the windows down. I don't know if it has to do with your phone or the mic in the car?

4. I see people look at the car, but they don't go as far as to say anything. I am really surprised more people don't ask about it, because I don't see any others on the road.

5. I will add to the OP's list with this: DONT drop your phone on the right side of the drivers seat. If it falls down there you will NEVER get it back. They did such a good job making it look pretty under the seat, you can't reach under there.

6. Sometimes it takes awhile for my sat nav map to load, and Pandora can be a B@#$@ (could be my phone) I have a LG something or another.

wrigleyville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium
    On the Bluetooth point, I have experienced some issues. I am pretty sure it is the car, since I upgraded last week from an iPhone 4s to the 5s and problems remain. One issue is that people tell me the sound is muffled and it is hard to hear the end of sentences. The second is that the Bluetooth link disconnects unless the phone is right in front of the center CUE panel. If I keep it in my left pocket while driving, it will disconnect and reconnect every couple minutes. By contrast, my 2011 Escalade used to stay connected when the valet drove off and I was inside restaurants, which is obviously too far a range but shows what is possible.
    I plan on having the dealer look at this at my next maintenance appointment.

Medmal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v sport

Quote Originally Posted by wrigleyville View Post
    On the Bluetooth point, I have experienced some issues. I am pretty sure it is the car, since I upgraded last week from an iPhone 4s to the 5s and problems remain. One issue is that people tell me the sound is muffled and it is hard to hear the end of sentences. The second is that the Bluetooth link disconnects unless the phone is right in front of the center CUE panel. If I keep it in my left pocket while driving, it will disconnect and reconnect every couple minutes. By contrast, my 2011 Escalade used to stay connected when the valet drove off and I was inside restaurants, which is obviously too far a range but shows what is possible.
    I plan on having the dealer look at this at my next maintenance appointment.
    I have an iPhone 5s in a Lifeproof case and have had zero connectivity issues. I wonder if background noise (exhaust/road noise/etc.) is an issue, as it has been in any of the cars I have owned with Bluetooth connections.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by Antero View Post
    17 is about right if you are having fun and doing a lot of city driving.
    I must be having too much fun... I am in the 13's

Another quirk that bothers me is the accessory power to the outlets turns off an on every time you close a door? Anyone else notice this? My radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter shuts off and back on every time someone opens and closes a door.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    I must be having too much fun... I am in the 13's

Another quirk that bothers me is the accessory power to the outlets turns off an on every time you close a door? Anyone else notice this? My radar detector plugged into the cigarette lighter shuts off and back on every time someone opens and closes a door.
    I haven't used the power outlets yet, but that seems very odd that it would cut power when the doors open. Even if the car is running? Can you power it from a USB port instead of a lighter outlet?

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

I haven't used the power outlets yet, but that seems very odd that it would cut power when the doors open. Even if the car is running? Can you power it from a USB port instead of a lighter outlet?
    Yes, Even if the car is running and my wife opens the passenger door and closes it the power turns off one second and then comes back which forces a reboot of anything plugged into the accessory ports. Same with the back doors and the trunk.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.