Vsport quirks and problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Vsport quirks and problems in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; I just tried this and can confirm mine does the same. It resets as soon as you shut the door. ...
    Antero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport

Re: Vsport quirks and problems

I just tried this and can confirm mine does the same. It resets as soon as you shut the door. I wonder why it does this?

jtmjw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport

I have a non-premium, that has a quirky light issue if anybody else has it.

In the CUE under comfort and convience, then lighting, you can set the exterior lights to stay on for, immed off, 30 sec, 60 sec and 120 sec after exiting. I have mine set for 30 sec.
    So last night pulled in the garage, closed the garage door as I am walking in the house the car lights go off. I go back out to the garage about 5 minutes later and there are very dimmly lite lights under the side view mirrors that are still lit, very faint. I then look in the car and there are buttons still lit on the dash board, the buttons were the ones on either side of the CUE screen (glove box, parking assist, etc) watched them for a while and they finally went off after about 10 minutes. unlocked the car and tried it several more times and the same thing happened, anybody else have this issue, can't find enything about this in the manual.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jtmjw View Post
    I have a non-premium, that has a quirky light issue if anybody else has it.

In the CUE under comfort and convience, then lighting, you can set the exterior lights to stay on for, immed off, 30 sec, 60 sec and 120 sec after exiting. I have mine set for 30 sec.
    So last night pulled in the garage, closed the garage door as I am walking in the house the car lights go off. I go back out to the garage about 5 minutes later and there are very dimmly lite lights under the side view mirrors that are still lit, very faint. I then look in the car and there are buttons still lit on the dash board, the buttons were the ones on either side of the CUE screen (glove box, parking assist, etc) watched them for a while and they finally went off after about 10 minutes. unlocked the car and tried it several more times and the same thing happened, anybody else have this issue, can't find enything about this in the manual.
    Mine does that, I think it is normal. On the premium, the door handles themselves stay very dimly lit too. They shut off eventually.

jtmjw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport

Thanks, I timed it. They stay on for 10 minutes then go off.

CadillacVic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Performance

1) High beams are loud when they turn on and off

2) CUE screen is poorly visible while wearing polarized glasses.

3) Front collision warning appears inconsistent. On the highway I had difficulty activating it, even with distance set on Far (3 bars) and tailgating other cars.

4) No way to combine light steering effort with Performance Shifting Algorithm for the tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacVic View Post

Haha, this is so true.

cdiez58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

all LCD screens and HUD will suffer with polarized glasses...I dont wear them in my car use std sunglasses...I prefer the heavier feel of the VS in sport and track modes...do not hear anything from my headlights....front collsion calculates speed and distance...maybe its seems inconsistent...or yours is not working properly

3) Front collision warning appears inconsistent. On the highway I had difficulty activating it, even with distance set on Far (3 bars) and tailgating other cars.

4) No way to combine light steering effort with Performance Shifting Algorithm for the tranny.

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Keep in mind radar adaptive cruise is different from forward collision detection (which also uses radar). The 3 bars distance setting is for the adaptive cruise spacing for the vehicle in front of you. I have mine set on 1 bar distance and find that is about right in most cases. The problem with adaptive cruise spacing is that even though I am good with 1 bar spacing and that is about the distance I would keep anyway, the gap seems too large for people behind me who think I am just trailing too far behind and pass me o the right only to cut in the gap in front of me. Which then the adaptive cruise adds the same gap again. So when in a big gaggle of cars I tend to give it some gas to close the gap to keep people from cutting in front of me and when it thins out I let the cruise do its thing. Why people think they are gaining something by passing on the right only to be behind the car in front of me, just 20 feet ahead, is beyond me. I am NOT a left lane squatter - I hate that with a passion.

The forward collision detection system uses a closure rate and distance, based on speed. You can't change it and the adaptive cruise setting does not change it. I don't think I'd want to test it, as it needs to be a very aggressive closure rate on something in front of you for it to engage. Supposedly it will do a full ABS stop if engaged. Also, you are supposed to be able to essentially draft on the bumper of a vehicle in front of you moving at the same speed and it won't engage the collision detection since the rate of closure is zero. I'm not going to test this though!

pmd4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Antero View Post
    Yea, at about 75 im right at 26mpg. City driving with sport mode or manual shift i'm seeing about 17. I wish the vsport had a real time mpg meter like the V2 had. Not a fan of always have to reset the trip meter.
    There is an Instantaneouse Fuel Economy option in the Driver Information Center on the standard VSport. (Assume this is also an option on the Premium edition.) It was not one of the checked options when I picked up my VSport from the dealer, but to enable this option all you do is select Settings on the DIC Menu and then select Info Pages and then scroll down until you see Inst. Fuel Economy, then select that option so that there is a check mark next to it.

Of course, you may prefer not knowing what the instant MPG is when you are using all of the horses.

Past the 2000 mile mark on the odometer this week and I love this car more every time I get behind the wheel.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I guess you'll be surprised to hear that this has been a feature on Cadillacs for over 15 years.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

pmd4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
    Since the CTS is so new, those of us here that have one are going to be the first to identify quirks and issues. Here are a few things I have noticed in the first 2000 miles.

1. Exhaust soot on the chrome tips. Every Vsport I've seen has this soot. It cleans up easily with a damp towel, but looks a little dingy. The engine must run rich. I've noticed on cold start that there is an initial puff of soot.

2. Pzero tires are sticky and pickup every little pebble and sand. Not sure if it is the compound or tread design, but I've noticed any small pebbles or sand tends to get picked up by the tires. I'm worried the rocker panels behind the tires are going to look like hell after a few miles as they get chewed up by sand and pebbles. I already have a few small nicks. They should put some protective covering or material on the areas right behind the tires.

3. I've noticed a drive-line clunk at least once. It was on deceleration and I think timed with a gear change. This was noticed in an early review as well. I don't think it is a sign of any problem though. Does not appear to happen very often.

4. Weird steering sound/vibration when parking. I've noticed this maybe 3 times. When parking or turning at very low speeds, sometimes there is this weird vibration sound coming through the steering wheel. I've wondered if it is the adaptive headlights turning at max angle or maybe straightening out. If so, they should make it less noisy. No sign of any problem, just an odd sound/vibration sometimes.

5. Bluetooth calls pickup a lot of background noise. This might be my cell phone (Samsung GS4) and not the car. People on the other end of the call tell me there is a lot of background noise when I'm on a Bluetooth call in the car. Anybody else had this issue?

6. This car gets more attention than I expected. I've had three people stop and ask about it and compliment the car. The strange thing is they recognize it is a Cadillac but not a CTS. Seems like the design is popular overall. Might be because it is an all new design and peope are seeing it for the first time. I didn't get that much attention from the general public in my V2, it tended to get noticed by car guys only (which wasn't a bad thing!).

Thanks for this great post. I have experienced items 1, 2 and 3 in my first 60 days of ownership (haven't experienced 5 and 6, but do vaguely notice item 4 if I am really paying attention and in a quiet location).

I am a huge fan of the Vsport and am very happy with the decision to purchase one. That being said, I think these "guirks and problems" threads are a great way to learn more about this brand new model (including engine and transmission).

Item 3 (the drive line clunk) was the most concerning to me as I experienced it fairly often (while in all modes, including Touring) when slowing to a stop (I assume the downshift from 2nd to 1st). With the exception of that downshift, I would describe the drive train as very refined, especially for a 420 hp engine.

Had my car in for service at 2,000 miles because of 2 Service Notices that popped up in the DIC intermittently in the first weeks of ownership. The first read "Service/ Power Steering."
    The second read "Service/Rear End Off." Each time the notices came on there was no change in performance of the car and the notice did not come on consistently at each start-up. They seemed to coincide with extreme cold winter temps and I suspect they were false alarms. In any event, the dealership indicated there was a "software update" that would address these issues. Neither notice has come on since the software update, and more importantly, I have not noticed item 3 (the drive line clunk) since this service visit two weeks ago. I did not mention that issue to the service tech when I dropped the car off so that was not something they were trying to address with this service visit. I have 3 theories: 1) it also was caused by extreme cold weather and has gone away as the temperatures have moderated in March (30's and 40's F), 2) it worked its way out with additional miles, or 3) it was also addressed by the "software update." Perhaps Cadillac knows it is an issue with the early production Vsports and is having dealers address it quietly in the first service visits.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

There is a thread here somewhere complaining about the time the oil service takes, as part of our 4 year /50,000 mile included shield service, but you touched on this, there are all kinds of unmentioned updates and fixes silently performed on our cars, little gremlins not serious enough for a recall fixed no question this is part of the multipoint inspection they do at every service....(i don't recall, but i think they look at over 100 things).....i'm glad they do it, and i'm glad its free (or prepaid...lol), your receipt should detail what they did when you pick up the car

Medmal is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v sport

I have really enjoyed this automobile, but yesterday I had a problem I have not experienced before. While in sport mode and passing another car in a different lane on the Interstate, the transmission would not upshift and RPM's reached close to the redline. I took it out of sport mode and the transmission shifted normally. This happened twice. It was the warmest day of the year to date at about 84-87 F. Anyone experienced this issue?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Medmal View Post
    I have really enjoyed this automobile, but yesterday I had a problem I have not experienced before. While in sport mode and passing another car in a different lane on the Interstate, the transmission would not upshift and RPM's reached close to the redline. I took it out of sport mode and the transmission shifted normally. This happened twice. It was the warmest day of the year to date at about 84-87 F. Anyone experienced this issue?
    Sounds like it was in PAL's Gear holding mode, did you aggressively merge into this lane or otherwise perform any maneuver that might have generated sufficient G'forces that the car think's you were in the middle of a turn?

Mine does that, I think it is normal. On the premium, the door handles themselves stay very dimly lit too. They shut off eventually.
    10 minutes sounds too long. Even though the lights themselves are LED's and should not drain the battery any mention-able amount, i might ask my SA. The lights in my ATS, all of them, turn off after only about 30 seconds or so.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.