Winter Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Winter Tires in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; So, I bought a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium just before Christmas, and am now dealing with the realities of winter ...
    wrigleyville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium

Winter Tires

So, I bought a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium just before Christmas, and am now dealing with the realities of winter in Chicago. The brochures and Cadillac website clearly state that the Vsport comes with "summer only" Pirelli run-flat tires, but i am having a helluva time finding winter tires/wheels as replacements. Specifically, I'd like to get 4 replacement tires (preferably Bridgestone Blizzak), mounted on aftermarket rims, so that I can run them through the winter and then switch back to the OEM rims/tires; but no one - including Cadillac - seems to have a clue as to what the wheel bolt pattern should be for the replacement rims. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I am reluctant to pay $500 per wheel for Cadillac rims (even if they were available) that I will only use 3 months of the year. For the record, this is all the info I can find:

Front Wheels: 18" x 8.5" 245v40r18
    Rear Wheels: 18" x 9.5" 275v35r18

Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    This is the best I can find for you.

Basically in the video it tells you how to measure the wheel to get the bolt pattern. I am assuming the CTS-Vsport uses 5 lug wheels. The video says to measure from center of lug to center of lug skipping over one lug in the middle then adding 1/4" to it. So if you measured and got 4-1/2" then add 1/4" and get 4-3/4".

Backspacing and offset I'm not sure of. I know on my STS when I pull off the wheel it's offset is stamped on it (+51mm) so yours might too.

Came across this site the other day:
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
    Seems to be pretty advanced on letting you punch in numbers to see how it compares to other wheels.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    http://media.gm.ca/media/us/en/cadil...edan/2014.html

This site indicates a 19 inch all season is available.

----------

Try GM again maybe

Re: Winter Tires

Sounds like the 3rd gen CTS uses 5x120 wheels like the 2nd gen does.
    So I'd think any 2nd gen wheel would work fine on the 3rd gen.

thanks for the help. looks like 5 x 120 bolt pattern and 40-45 for offset is what the site referenced is quoting, although it doesn't have the OEM tire size listed, so it may not be referring to the Vsport. I am just not sure if the rear end makes a difference, given that it has the Corvette electronic limited slip differential unlike the standard CTS sedan. I will try a couple more dealers tomorrow and see if I can get an "official' answer from Cadillac.

cdiez58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Im in the same boat (pittburgh)...I think Im going with all seasons from Oct through May....looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS from TireRack....Its got pretty good winter reviews ...if you find something out let me know drectly...charlie

----------

not sure if that will work with the larger Brembos on the vsport

From what I read online, it sounds like the best pure winter tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak. The LM-32s come in 275/35R18 size for the rear, and are only $249 at Tire Rack. The LM-60s come in 245/40R18 for the front and are $204. I figured I'd get them mounted on some relatively inexpensive rims for use December-March, and keep the Pirellis for the rest of year.
    For all-season tires, my dealer's service manager said he that every CTS owner that has bought all-season Hankook tires has raved about them. Those are less than $200 on Tire Rack.

is it ok to mix the two tread patterns....or do all four rims the same?...(the narrower 245/40r18) for better snow performance

Quote Originally Posted by wrigleyville View Post
    From what I read online, it sounds like the best pure winter tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak. The LM-32s come in 275/35R18 size for the rear, and are only $249 at Tire Rack. The LM-60s come in 245/40R18 for the front and are $204. I figured I'd get them mounted on some relatively inexpensive rims for use December-March, and keep the Pirellis for the rest of year.
    For all-season tires, my dealer's service manager said he that every CTS owner that has bought all-season Hankook tires has raved about them. Those are less than $200 on Tire Rack.

They recommend using all the same, which is why I am trying to find an acceptable rim spec that can be used on all four. Then, I'd like to get the 245/40R18s as you suggested. Also, further research is leading me to change my mind on brand. This is an interesting comparison that points to the Michelin Alpins as best: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=181
    cdiez58 likes this.

Okay, I talked to Cadillac customer service, two more dealers and a couple tire places today. Here is the rundown:
    GM/Cadillac says there is no other wheel option available, recommendation is to use stock rims and match Blizzak tire sizes to OEM…local dealer quoted me $800 for 2 rear tires this week, plus $800 for fronts but can't get tires for 2-3 weeks.
    Local shop (dedicated tire shop since 1929) and Tire Rack both recommend using stock rims and mounting 245/40R18s on all four. I am going to go with the Michelin Alpin PA4s, priced at $217 each plus delivery/install.
    FWIW, they recommended that I could also use either All-Seasons (with less traction in winter conditions) or use the X-Ice if in some serious snow/ice conditions, but I think the PA4s are the right profile for my needs in Chicago (snow/ice sometimes, but mostly cold, highway and cleared street driving.
    Good luck!

eurofixer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport

D3 owns a V-sport and I'm sure they've measured out the rims at this point. Maybe shoot them an email? Please let everyone know what they say, as it would be great for everyone to know if they plan on going to anything aftermarket.

Okay, I talked to Cadillac customer service, two more dealers and a couple tire places today. Here is the rundown:
    GM/Cadillac says there is no other wheel option available, recommendation is to use stock rims and match Blizzak tire sizes to OEM…local dealer quoted me $800 for 2 rear tires this week, plus $800 for fronts but can't get tires for 2-3 weeks.
    Local shop (dedicated tire shop since 1929) and Tire Rack both recommend using stock rims and mounting 245/40R18s on all four. I am going to go with the Michelin Alpin PA4s, priced at $217 each plus delivery/install.
    FWIW, they recommended that I could also use either All-Seasons (with less traction in winter conditions) or use the X-Ice if in some serious snow/ice conditions, but I think the PA4s are the right profile for my needs in Chicago (snow/ice sometimes, but mostly cold, highway and cleared street driving.
    Good luck!
    Are the stock 18" rims all the same front and rear?

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    Good luck!
    Nice choice, I love that tread design. Will get a set myself when the time comes.
    Happy Motoring!

Quote Originally Posted by cdiez58 View Post
    Are the stock 18" rims all the same front and rear?
    No. Rear wheels are 18" x 9.5", fronts are 18" x 8.5". The Alpins I ordered will work with both (they have a 8''-9.5" rim width range).

----------

I tried sending the attached to Dr Design (D3), but it bounced back as mailbox full…

Would really appreciate your input on winter rim/tire combinations for the 2014 Vsport Premium, as mine is essentially a $70K paper-weight with the current winter conditions in Chicago.

I have a full forum post on this, but here is the summary:
    --Car has stock 18" wheels and Pirelli "summer only" tires
    --I would prefer to get a rim/tire package for the winter months, but no one seems to have a cue about correct wheel specs for that (have talked to GM, Cadillac HQ, 4 dealers, Pirellii, Michelin, and three tire shops locally)
    --Best I can come up with is to put Micheline Alpin PA4s in 245/40R18s all around, mounted on the factory rims (rears are 18" x 9.5", fronts are 18" x 8.5")
    --Can you recommend rims I could use for those Alpins? Do you have any concerns about putting the 245/40s all around (stock is 275/35s on the back, with the 245/40s up front)?

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to post your reply n the forum, as others are waiting for answers on this as well.

John

you might try a PM to them too here on the forum...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.