Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Winter Tires

33K views 102 replies 35 participants last post by  NormV 
#1 ·
So, I bought a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium just before Christmas, and am now dealing with the realities of winter in Chicago. The brochures and Cadillac website clearly state that the Vsport comes with "summer only" Pirelli run-flat tires, but i am having a helluva time finding winter tires/wheels as replacements. Specifically, I'd like to get 4 replacement tires (preferably Bridgestone Blizzak), mounted on aftermarket rims, so that I can run them through the winter and then switch back to the OEM rims/tires; but no one - including Cadillac - seems to have a clue as to what the wheel bolt pattern should be for the replacement rims. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I am reluctant to pay $500 per wheel for Cadillac rims (even if they were available) that I will only use 3 months of the year. For the record, this is all the info I can find:

Front Wheels: 18" x 8.5" 245v40r18
Rear Wheels: 18" x 9.5" 275v35r18

Help?

#2 ·
This is the best I can find for you.

Basically in the video it tells you how to measure the wheel to get the bolt pattern. I am assuming the CTS-Vsport uses 5 lug wheels. The video says to measure from center of lug to center of lug skipping over one lug in the middle then adding 1/4" to it. So if you measured and got 4-1/2" then add 1/4" and get 4-3/4".

Backspacing and offset I'm not sure of. I know on my STS when I pull off the wheel it's offset is stamped on it (+51mm) so yours might too.

Came across this site the other day:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Seems to be pretty advanced on letting you punch in numbers to see how it compares to other wheels.

#5 ·
thanks for the help. looks like 5 x 120 bolt pattern and 40-45 for offset is what the site referenced is quoting, although it doesn't have the OEM tire size listed, so it may not be referring to the Vsport. I am just not sure if the rear end makes a difference, given that it has the Corvette electronic limited slip differential unlike the standard CTS sedan. I will try a couple more dealers tomorrow and see if I can get an "official' answer from Cadillac.

#6 ·
Im in the same boat (pittburgh)...I think Im going with all seasons from Oct through May....looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS from TireRack....Its got pretty good winter reviews ...if you find something out let me know drectly...charlie

----------

not sure if that will work with the larger Brembos on the vsport

#7 ·
From what I read online, it sounds like the best pure winter tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak. The LM-32s come in 275/35R18 size for the rear, and are only $249 at Tire Rack. The LM-60s come in 245/40R18 for the front and are $204. I figured I'd get them mounted on some relatively inexpensive rims for use December-March, and keep the Pirellis for the rest of year.
For all-season tires, my dealer's service manager said he that every CTS owner that has bought all-season Hankook tires has raved about them. Those are less than $200 on Tire Rack.

#9 ·
They recommend using all the same, which is why I am trying to find an acceptable rim spec that can be used on all four. Then, I'd like to get the 245/40R18s as you suggested. Also, further research is leading me to change my mind on brand. This is an interesting comparison that points to the Michelin Alpins as best: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=181

#10 ·
Okay, I talked to Cadillac customer service, two more dealers and a couple tire places today. Here is the rundown:
GM/Cadillac says there is no other wheel option available, recommendation is to use stock rims and match Blizzak tire sizes to OEM…local dealer quoted me $800 for 2 rear tires this week, plus $800 for fronts but can't get tires for 2-3 weeks.
Local shop (dedicated tire shop since 1929) and Tire Rack both recommend using stock rims and mounting 245/40R18s on all four. I am going to go with the Michelin Alpin PA4s, priced at $217 each plus delivery/install.
FWIW, they recommended that I could also use either All-Seasons (with less traction in winter conditions) or use the X-Ice if in some serious snow/ice conditions, but I think the PA4s are the right profile for my needs in Chicago (snow/ice sometimes, but mostly cold, highway and cleared street driving.
Good luck!

#12 ·
Okay, I talked to Cadillac customer service, two more dealers and a couple tire places today. Here is the rundown:
GM/Cadillac says there is no other wheel option available, recommendation is to use stock rims and match Blizzak tire sizes to OEM…local dealer quoted me $800 for 2 rear tires this week, plus $800 for fronts but can't get tires for 2-3 weeks.
Local shop (dedicated tire shop since 1929) and Tire Rack both recommend using stock rims and mounting 245/40R18s on all four. I am going to go with the Michelin Alpin PA4s, priced at $217 each plus delivery/install.
FWIW, they recommended that I could also use either All-Seasons (with less traction in winter conditions) or use the X-Ice if in some serious snow/ice conditions, but I think the PA4s are the right profile for my needs in Chicago (snow/ice sometimes, but mostly cold, highway and cleared street driving.
Good luck!
Are the stock 18" rims all the same front and rear?

#17 ·
Here is the latest and greatest...

My dealer has a solution, which they have test mounted on a Vsport Premium to confirm:
--TSW "Mugello" wheels (see pic below), come in either Hyper Silver or Black; 18" x 8", 5 x 120 bolt pattern, 35mm offset (another dealer suggested the TSW Mallory)
--245/40R18 Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 winter tires all around

This combo is definitely more expensive, but I am leaning towards it (dealer recommendation, free wheel storage, less hassle and worry.) Here is the shot of the rims:
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

#18 ·
Those look nice, but knowing the offset and bolt pattern you could be looking at alternate options if the cost is not what you are looking for...

They are offering to store your OEM rims during the winter months? (a nice offer in my mind but I wouldn't trust the situation).
Will they also swap for you seasonally w/o charge?
(might want to mark them subtly on the inside of the rim to know they are yours and take good photos for damage claims)

#25 ·
If you know anyone with 2nd gen CTS, why don't you try their wheels just to check the fitment? I know there are more things to consider than just bolting pattern, but little bit of difference in offset was ok. (I've used Enkei wheels off of Lexus on my wife's previous STS, and I run C5 wheels on my C6 for racing)
As long as the front-to-rear difference in circumference is kept similar, car won't be too upset with you. (at least that was the case with my C5 and C6 corvette Active handling(

If you are closer (I'm in Michigan), I would let you try my wheels (I have 17s and 18s wheels for 2nd gen CTS) - if you have any reason to visit Metro Detroit area, you can come by my office to try it out. I've got tools needed for wheel swap.

Good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

----------------------------

Edit: Oh shoot,,,, I should've read the 2nd page before replying to thread... (I feel stupid now.. :bigroll:) You got yourself wheels already. Good for you! Winter tires make huge difference in winter. (even if it's not snowing, you'll see big difference)
I personally don't like All season tires. It's like having one set of Landrover shoes to go with Tuxedo, and to go out and play soccer with it. Doesn't work well in either cases.

----------

Oh and I must add,,,, those wheels look great on your CTS Vsport!!!

#27 ·
Nokian Tires for Vsport

It seems the "no all-season tire option" for the Vsport continues to be an issue for folks, so I thought I'd post the link below to a review of the winter tires I bought for my Vsport Premium just after the New Year. I was skeptical at first, not knowing a lot about the brand, but have become a huge convert after driving them in extreme conditions for the past 6 weeks without a single incidence of getting stuck, losing control, or sliding while braking...and I am a pretty aggressive driver.

The reviews speak for themselves...and they do offer an all-season option that has incredible high-performance capabilities (see 2nd link).

These are the tires I bought for my 2014 Vsport Premium (245/40R18s):
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-R2.htm

Here is some info on their "White Hell" proving ground in Finland, and the all-season options:
http://tires.about.com/b/2013/03/31/nokian-tires-day-3-white-hell.htm

#30 ·
Re: Nokian Tires for Vsport

This is the Finnish Mag "Technology World" review of non studded winter tires...I was pretty impressed that the non Finnish Xi3 slightly beat out the "hometown" Nokian Hap R2 which is a great tire!....I went with the Xi3 primarily for the warranty and Tire Rack wheels/mount/balance ship option...

http://www.rengasvertailu.fi/talvirengastestit/tekniikan-maailma-talvirengastesti-2013

Winter tires Technology World 16/2013:

1 Michelin Xi3 7.6
2 The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 2 7.5
3 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 7.2
3 Pirelli Winter Icecontrol 7.2
4 Continental ContiVikingContact 5 7.0
5 Vredestein Nord-Track 2 6.8
6 Debica Frigo 2 6.6
7 Fulda Kristall Montero 3 6.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.