Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Winter Tires

33K views 102 replies 35 participants last post by  NormV 
#1 ·
So, I bought a 2014 CTS Vsport Premium just before Christmas, and am now dealing with the realities of winter in Chicago. The brochures and Cadillac website clearly state that the Vsport comes with "summer only" Pirelli run-flat tires, but i am having a helluva time finding winter tires/wheels as replacements. Specifically, I'd like to get 4 replacement tires (preferably Bridgestone Blizzak), mounted on aftermarket rims, so that I can run them through the winter and then switch back to the OEM rims/tires; but no one - including Cadillac - seems to have a clue as to what the wheel bolt pattern should be for the replacement rims. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I am reluctant to pay $500 per wheel for Cadillac rims (even if they were available) that I will only use 3 months of the year. For the record, this is all the info I can find:

Front Wheels: 18" x 8.5" 245v40r18
Rear Wheels: 18" x 9.5" 275v35r18

Help?

#35 ·
Anyone drive the V-Sport on snow tires this past winter?

I am considering getting rid of my ATS for a CTS. I want the extra trunk space & larger back seat. I was looking at a CTS4 Performance with the 2.0T & 19" wheels. What's killing me is that my dealer has a V-Sport (standard version) for $4K off sticker! That makes it $5K cheaper than the one I am looking at. Now, I live in Upstate, NY which sees it's share of snow & cold weather and that's why I always buy AWD vehicles. For the price of this V-Sport, I am really considering buying a good set of snow tires for the winter. Has anyone driven this in the snow with snow tires? How did it perform? Would you say to just stick with the AWD 2.0T based on performance of the V-Sport with snow tires? I just don't want to get the V-Sport and then find out it is a handful in the snow.

#42 ·
I am considering getting rid of my ATS for a CTS. I want the extra trunk space & larger back seat. I was looking at a CTS4 Performance with the 2.0T & 19" wheels. What's killing me is that my dealer has a V-Sport (standard version) for $4K off sticker! That makes it $5K cheaper than the one I am looking at. Now, I live in Upstate, NY which sees it's share of snow & cold weather and that's why I always buy AWD vehicles. For the price of this V-Sport, I am really considering buying a good set of snow tires for the winter. Has anyone driven this in the snow with snow tires? How did it perform? Would you say to just stick with the AWD 2.0T based on performance of the V-Sport with snow tires? I just don't want to get the V-Sport and then find out it is a handful in the snow.
I ended up going with Michelin x ice3...no problems in Pittsburgh... Did 18" on all four

#37 ·
Re: Anyone drive the V-Sport on snow tires this past winter?

I haven't, but Jalopnik has:

http://jalopnik.com/yes-you-can-hoon-a-70-000-420-hp-cadillac-on-ice-and-1507658746

I have also driven a rear-wheel drive Lexus LS for 7 years in North NJ with just all season tires and did fine. This experience made me believe that modern technology makes it possible to drive a rear-wheel drive car in the Northeast winter.

For my V-sport, I am planning to buy a dedicated set of Vsport winter wheels/tires come November. I highly recommend the Vsport. You will have 7 months of automotive joy and the winter will be very manageable as well. You will not regret it!

#40 ·
Re: Anyone drive the V-Sport on snow tires this past winter?

Yes, I drove in a Wisconsin winter with snows and it gets around great. I always had 2 sets of wheels with my V2 and liked that. It's amazing how much the tire matters. I would get stuck on a flat surface with a dusting of snow.

#44 ·
Winter tires for VSport

I've been trying to find proper winter tires for my VSport. I haven't found any in the original front and rear sizes. Tire rack says I can use a set of 255 40 18 Blizzaks on both front and back. Does anyone have any feedback or can confirm this size will work?

#48 ·
Re: Winter tires for VSport

I live on the NH/MA border so like yourself I knew the tires on my 2014 Vsport weren't going to work. I looked for the best rated tires for these 4 categories-WET TRACTION/DRY TRACTION and RIDE COMFORT/NOISE COMFORT. What I purchased under those 4 categories was the Hancook Ventus S1 noble2 tires. The fronts are 245/40ZR18-Overall Dia. 25.7"
and the rears are 285/35ZR18-Overall Dia. 25.8". The .1" increase in dia. (less then an 1/8") is insignificant. On the
neg. side you will notice a softer turn-in on cornering. On the pos. side there is a smoother ride (all surfaces) and a quieter ride (yes on corners also) I have @6100 mi. on them and they show a nice tread pattern and no excessive tread wear. Tire Rack has hundreds of reviews on each tire/vehicle combo's, I haven't been disappointed yet

#52 ·

I live on the NH/MA border so like yourself I knew the tires on my 2014 Vsport weren't going to work. I looked for the best rated tires for these 4 categories-WET TRACTION/DRY TRACTION and RIDE COMFORT/NOISE COMFORT. What I purchased under those 4 categories was the Hancook Ventus S1 noble2 tires. The fronts are 245/40ZR18-Overall Dia. 25.7"
and the rears are 285/35ZR18-Overall Dia. 25.8". The .1" increase in dia. (less then an 1/8") is insignificant. On the
neg. side you will notice a softer turn-in on cornering. On the pos. side there is a smoother ride (all surfaces) and a quieter ride (yes on corners also) I have @6100 mi. on them and they show a nice tread pattern and no excessive tread wear. Tire Rack has hundreds of reviews on each tire/vehicle combo's, I haven't been disappointed yet
Did you get a second set of rims for your Hankooks?

----------

I did some research including contacting Cadillac and the best option is to install 4 tires the same size as the front summer tires. For winter tires is not recommended to use wider tires on the back. Another important thing. You will need winter run-flat tires. So far I only found the Pirelli Sottozero Series II run-flat. The other manufacturers do not make run-flat winter tires. You will need new wheels as well. Run-flat tires due to their construction will get damaged if you keep removing them from the wheels twice a year.
Thanks for the info. I too found the Pirelli Sottozero Series II run-flats on Tire Rack. I'm going to wait a little longer before ordering to see if there are other options.

#49 ·

You don't NEED run-flats. You can roll the dice with a can of that Slime stuff and understand that a flat may require a tow. As long as you don't get one, no harm done. My STS-V came with summer-only tires and I rocked the Continental ExtremeContact DWS non-RF all-seasons for 3 years. Got one flat and had it towed, no big deal and it made a 1000% improvement in winter handling and ride quality.

#50 ·

Most people don't understand that if you get a flat with run/flat tires not all garages have the special equipment required to help them. I carry a small 12v air pump and a plug kit which fits nicely in one of the foam trunk compartments. I also have a 1985 IROC Camaro I purchased new and have over 250k miles and only had to plug it twice. (running drag radials)

#54 ·
I got the following wheel and winter tire combo from TireRack...It got here in two days...will have to sit in my garage for a few weeks...

Order Number: P989826 Order Date: 09/29/2014 Via: UPS Ground From: New Castle, DE

Qty Size and Description Availability Price Each Total Price
4 245/40R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat 240, R
Download Warranty Brochure PDF
In Stock $254.00 $1,016.00
Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($79.68 value. Exclusions apply.) $0.00
1 Retail Tire Registration Card In Stock N/C N/C
1 Basic Limited Warranty In Stock N/C N/C
4 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Sil In Stock $149.00 $596.00
4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C N/C
20 Required lugbolt for vehicle (black) In Stock N/C N/C
1 Lug installation tool In Stock N/C N/C
4 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor In Stock $49.00 $196.00
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge) In Stock N/C N/C

#55 ·
CadillacVic said:
I got the following wheel and winter tire combo from TireRack...It got here in two days...will have to sit in my garage for a few weeks... Order Number: P989826 Order Date: 09/29/2014 Via: UPS Ground From: New Castle, DE Qty Size and Description Availability Price Each Total Price 4 245/40R-18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat 240, R Download Warranty Brochure PDF In Stock $254.00 $1,016.00 Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($79.68 value. Exclusions apply.) $0.00 1 Retail Tire Registration Card In Stock N/C N/C 1 Basic Limited Warranty In Stock N/C N/C 4 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Sil In Stock $149.00 $596.00 4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C N/C 20 Required lugbolt for vehicle (black) In Stock N/C N/C 1 Lug installation tool In Stock N/C N/C 4 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor In Stock $49.00 $196.00 4 Mount and Balance (No Charge) In Stock N/C N/C
Do you own or lease? I ask because I lease mine. I'm researching winter tires, but am leaning toward mounting them on my stock wheels.

#59 ·
Guys,

I hate to hijack this thread but will anyhow because you broached it.

I have 245/45-19 Michelin X-Ice winter tires for my present CTS Sport Wagon. My car is a Y43 that came with FE3 and summer tires. Because the bolt pattern and offset are the same, wonder what the implications are of using these winter tires on my future V-Sport? Surely a speedometer correction would be needed but something tells me it's possible to swing this one.

Just thinking out load because A) V-Sports come with summer tires and B) I have a set of perfectly under-used wheels and tires that will return pennies on the dollar for realistically.

Tell me what you think or experiences with non-stock sizing on any modern GM car.

RM

#60 ·
If you go to the Tire Rack website and search for winter tires for the Vsport, they give you two options: 245/40/19 & 255/40/19. I think you're in luck. I'd opt for one of these choices myself, but since I'm leasing my Vsport, I don't want to invest in a new set of wheels.

#62 ·

I just installed 245/40R18 Blizzaks on the front and 275/35R18 Blizzaks on the rear. I've heard that it's best to use the narrower front size on the rears as well. I didn't follow that advice. I"ll post after driving a few times in snowy conditions to update the forum on winter performance.

#63 ·
rmcadory said:
I just installed 245/40R18 Blizzaks on the front and 275/35R18 Blizzaks on the rear. I've heard that it's best to use the narrower front size on the rears as well. I didn't follow that advice. I"ll post after driving a few times in snowy conditions to update the forum on winter performance.
Were you able to find same model Blizzaks for front and back with the staggered setup? Why did you choose them over others like Alpins and Sottozeros? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.