Cadillac loses my business with the CTS-V Sport
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac V-Sport General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac loses my business with the CTS-V Sport in Cadillac CTS V-Sport; I am a new forum member, and my only Cadillac ownership experience has been with a 2012 SRX, which my ...
    sportourista is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Cadillac loses my business with the CTS-V Sport

I am a new forum member, and my only Cadillac ownership experience has been with a 2012 SRX, which my wife and I love.
    For 20+ years i have owned many premium European sport sedans (and 2 Porsches).

I always said that if an American car company offered a competitive, quality product, I would buy it.

With some of Cadillac's new offerings, I thought that time had arrived.

Today, I spent over 2 hours looking at and driving the 2014 CTS V-Sport. I had a enthusiastic, knowledgeable and very professional sales person helping me.

The road test was, at least for me, an eye opener. This car's power, solid chassis and athletic handling was fantastic. My only recent driving experience with an American car was a test drive in the new C7 Corvette, which I was also interested in. This V-Sport's overall performance, features and build quality put the Corvette in 2nd place.

I was ready to special order one of these gems, and worked up an order form. Then the shocker! In order to get a sunroof, I had to pony up an extra $10,000 for an option package of nebulous electronic extras to get the sunroof. That put the price of this car just north of $70,000. (As a comparison, the Corvette I spec'd out was $69,000 with the Z51 package and a modest list of options).

That is right in the ballpark of its supposed competition, the MB E Class and BMW 550i. Is the CTS worth it? If you look at from a content, performance and build quality standpoint, maybe. But from a proven long-term value view point, no.

Cadillac is still trying to find it's niche in the market place and this model could be replaced in a heartbeat if the company feels it's necessary. The competition's cars have 30+ years of established model legacy and customer loyalty to stand on.

What would I have paid for this car? For me $58-60,000 max. The sentiment I have read on this forum reflects some of the same feelings on pricing. I hope that Cadillac comes to its senses soon about what the market place deems the worth of its products. It would be sad to see some of its best products ever sitting on dealer's lots with rebate signs on them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Cadillac will cry all the way to the bank.

Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8
    So you love the car and think it's an amazing performing car, but because of an agreeably over priced sunroof you hate it? Forget the sunroof with all the fun you'll be having driving you won't care, I don't think the sunroof should be a deal breaker and take away from the car that much...
    ben.gators likes this.

iVwishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Cadillac loses my business with the CTS-V Sport

I agree with Cadzilla8, it's your hard earn money but it sounds like you're nitpicking over $10k when you consider that in the past you've probably paid the same or more buying a German/Euro vehicle. If I were you I'd pass on the CTS V-sport and wait and see what the upcoming upper level version CTS-V has to offer.

ctbarker32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I own a loaded 2008 CTS RWD 3.6 with the panoramic sunroof. I am seriously considering a V-Sport. I have determined from research that the Base V-Sport is the one to get from a price/performance/feature perspective. I was initially disappointed I would give up the sunroof but $10k more is too much for this luxury. I hope to get the price down to the mid $50k's or so and my 2008 only has 19k miles and is immaculate, so I hope to only dump about $35k total cash into this exchange? For $35k net outlay, the V-Sport looks to be a pretty compelling value?

kwickag is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS Vsport Premium White Diamond Kona interior

Here's what you get for the extra:

Full leather seats
    Tri Zone Climate
    Color Head up Display
    Heated Outboard Rear Seats
    Power Rear window Sunshade
    Manual Rear Side Window Sunshades
    Illuminating Door Handles
    Illuminating Door Sills
    110 Volt Power Receptacle
    Full Speed Adaptable Cruise Control
    Automatic Collision Preparation
    Front Rear Automatic Braking
    Automatic Safety Belt Tightening
    Ultraview Sunroof

To me it is more than some nebulous electronic extras and is worth the extra cost, but to each their own.
    70eldo and pissedoffwookiee like this.

Looney100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Imagine how upset you'd be if you were in Canada, where the Vsport only comes with the premium package included. Vsport starts at $75K!

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

This is a general complaint about 'packaging'. Of course in the V-Sport's case, its ONE package.

Fortunately for me, there isn't a single item in the Premium package that I have interest in. (Sunroofs are nearly useless to me - they are nice to use as a vent from time to time, but then rear windows cracked work just fine too.)

Unfortunately for me, 60k is still too much money for the base one. They also really have to do something with that rear end.

I suspect the CTS will have incredibly poor depreciation just like the STS. Best to wait and pick up a several year old model if you want one.
    talismandave and Stwoodworth like this.

Cool Rod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport

I know this is all just a matter of opinion and how much money you have, but there are only a few things I'd pay for. The Vsport is pretty much loaded as it is.

What I see on the list that I'd pay extra for are:

Front and rear automatic braking (my salesman backed into a parked car because the car we test drove didn't have the premium package)

HUD (had it on a Corvette. Nice to have but no deal breaker)

Illuminated door handle and sill plates (Nice touch that you can get on other cars. Cool at night if you use your car that much at night)

Automatic collision preparation could be a godsend if you had a major accident. You'd probably only need it once.

That's it. I don't care about the back seat, nobody's going to sit there. Sunroof? I live in Miami, I don't need more sun. The rest of the things are nice to have, but not worth paying for.

So to me the $10,000 option package is worth maybe $2000 or $3000 max.

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

I'd put the HUD up high on the list of wants. The vet I have has HUD and I have to say the thing I miss most on the first CTS I had and now my V is a HUD. The C-5 I had came with a HUD and I thought meh when I bought it. Come time for the C-6, it was a must have option. Time will tell if caddy is overpricing on the new CTS, but I suspect not. The germans have raised prices too. Everyone has. The avg transaction price for all cars is now 31K.

cdiez58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vsport Premium

Well it outperforms the e class and bmw 550...so its competitive...its quality...look at JD Powers...its better looking than either of those cars (admittingly subjective)...the reviews are incredible....the tech is state of the art...and please try and price out those two cars...see what the actual sale price is...im picking up mine tomorrow and i have owned many euro sports cars Audi, and currently porsche...2014 is the year of the American Car...C7 convertible in the summer for me!!!

and
    Quote Originally Posted by sportourista View Post
    I am a new forum member, and my only Cadillac ownership experience has been with a 2012 SRX, which my wife and I love.
    For 20+ years i have owned many premium European sport sedans (and 2 Porsches).

I always said that if an American car company offered a competitive, quality product, I would buy it.

With some of Cadillac's new offerings, I thought that time had arrived.

Today, I spent over 2 hours looking at and driving the 2014 CTS V-Sport. I had a enthusiastic, knowledgeable and very professional sales person helping me.

The road test was, at least for me, an eye opener. This car's power, solid chassis and athletic handling was fantastic. My only recent driving experience with an American car was a test drive in the new C7 Corvette, which I was also interested in. This V-Sport's overall performance, features and build quality put the Corvette in 2nd place.

I was ready to special order one of these gems, and worked up an order form. Then the shocker! In order to get a sunroof, I had to pony up an extra $10,000 for an option package of nebulous electronic extras to get the sunroof. That put the price of this car just north of $70,000. (As a comparison, the Corvette I spec'd out was $69,000 with the Z51 package and a modest list of options).

That is right in the ballpark of its supposed competition, the MB E Class and BMW 550i. Is the CTS worth it? If you look at from a content, performance and build quality standpoint, maybe. But from a proven long-term value view point, no.

Cadillac is still trying to find it's niche in the market place and this model could be replaced in a heartbeat if the company feels it's necessary. The competition's cars have 30+ years of established model legacy and customer loyalty to stand on.

What would I have paid for this car? For me $58-60,000 max. The sentiment I have read on this forum reflects some of the same feelings on pricing. I hope that Cadillac comes to its senses soon about what the market place deems the worth of its products. It would be sad to see some of its best products ever sitting on dealer's lots with rebate signs on them.

jbonacci is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS Luxury 2.0T & '13 SRX4 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by kwickag View Post
    Here's what you get for the extra:

Full leather seats--as opposed to half leather seats?
    Tri Zone Climate--who cares?
    Color Head up Display--nice, but not worth $10K
    Heated Outboard Rear Seats--I don't sit in the back, I sit in the front seat when driving
    Power Rear window Sunshade--I can tint the entire car for $200
    Manual Rear Side Window Sunshades--see comment above
    Illuminating Door Handles--these are cool, but not $10K cool.
    Illuminating Door Sills--you see them only when you open the door to get in & out--adds nothing to the performance of the car
    110 Volt Power Receptacle--again, nice to have, but you can buy one from amazon for $50
    Full Speed Adaptable Cruise Control--I don't like the adaptive cruise control
    Automatic Collision Preparation--I like to drive the car, not the car drive me
    Front Rear Automatic Braking--I like to drive the car, not the car drive me
    Automatic Safety Belt Tightening--ummmmmm
    Ultraview Sunroof--so basically I would have to pay $10K to get a roof?

To me it is more than some nebulous electronic extras and is worth the extra cost, but to each their own.
    Cadillac takes 1 step forward, but 2 steps back AGAIN! My dealer has had the same V-Sports sitting on their lot for over a month now (along with all the other CTS's that are over $60K). I'm a GM diehard and a big Cadillac fan, but the facts are the facts--Cadillac has priced the new CTS way too high. And for all the comments about the 5-series and E-series--these cars have always been in the price category and they have brand loyalty/magazine review loyalty. The CTS doesn't have that type of loyalty yet--maybe it will get there, but it will get there sooner if the price was much lower.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonacci
    Cadillac takes 1 step forward, but 2 steps back AGAIN! My dealer has had the same V-Sports sitting on their lot for over a month now (along with all the other CTS's that are over $60K). I'm a GM diehard and a big Cadillac fan, but the facts are the facts--Cadillac has priced the new CTS way too high. And for all the comments about the 5-series and E-series--these cars have always been in the price category and they have brand loyalty/magazine review loyalty. The CTS doesn't have that type of loyalty yet--maybe it will get there, but it will get there sooner if the price was much lower.
    I agree with you on this, they are just sitting on the lot. I even saw one marked down from
    $57k to $52 and I bet you could of got it for $50k I would of jumped on it if it was white or black. I wasn't crazy about the silver

eurofixer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    I agree with you on this, they are just sitting on the lot. I even saw one marked down from
    $57k to $52 and I bet you could of got it for $50k I would of jumped on it if it was white or black. I wasn't crazy about the silver
    I'm about to take delivery of mine for a little under 52k. It's a little rarer in the Opulent Blue though so it hasn't been on a lot!

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

So Cadillac should lower the price of a high quality CTS to earn loyalty????!

Just don't take the sun roof.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.