Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 CTS VSPORT Announced

22K views 80 replies 36 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
So the Twin Turbo 3.6 will only be available in what is being called the CTS VSport. I don't know how I feel about that, but it just means that it'll be a lot more money lol.

#5 ·
I sure as hell hope they offer that TT 3.6L in an AWD setup. That's the only thing that held me back from buying a 2nd gen V. I need my AWD up here in Canada! Seeing how Mercedes is bringing out their E63 S 4matic(AWD in MB terms), my next vehicle choice will be a long and hard decision...however I am very loyal to Cadillac, I just hope they can keep up.

#6 ·
250motorsportz said:
I sure as hell hope they offer that TT 3.6L in an AWD setup. That's the only thing that held me back from buying a 2nd gen V. I need my AWD up here in Canada! Seeing how Mercedes is bringing out their E63 S 4matic(AWD in MB terms), my next vehicle choice will be a long and hard decision...however I am very loyal to Cadillac, I just hope they can keep up.
I believe I read that the TT 3.6L will come only in RWD.

#16 ·
A clarification here:
The 34 MPG highway rating is for the 528i – and that now has a 2.0 L 4 cylinder. NOT a TT I6.
[ The TT 6 cylinder is in the 535i – EPA rating 20 / 30.
But HP & TQ are 300 & 300. Well below the CTS’s TT V6. ]
The TT V6 compares [ HP, TQ ] more nearly to the 550i, a TT 4.4L V8 with 400 HP & 450 TQ – and the EPA rating for the 550i automatic is exactly the same as the [ estimated ] Vsport TT V6’s rating = 17 / 25.
- Ray
Would love a 34 MPG rating for the TT V6, but.....

#9 ·
exesivefire said:
Does this mean the v as we know it is dead?
No, thank god. The CTS Vsport will be like the 5-series M-sport. (Which as we know, the 5-series M-sport and an M5 are two very different things)

The Vsport, like an M-sport, will be a pumped up version of the base model with extra power, maybe some tighter suspension (I'm assuming magnetic ride control will be offered) and a collection of various other gizmos that the actual Vs or Ms receive, including perhaps a few cosmetic changes. (Think how the 06-07 Sport CTS's got V rockers....bits and pieces of a V but not at all the whole deal cosmetically).

Then, there will be the actual CTS-V, just like there is the actual M5. That one I'm sure will have a V8 making around 600hp, 0-60 hopefully under 4 seconds and HOPEFULLY with a manual offered on it. None of these base CTS's, even the Vsport, will have manuals....

#12 ·
Usually you have to learn from the best, and get up to their level, before you can surpass them. Copying excellence is an important learning step toward achieving superiority.

What really impresses me most is that Cadillac is so dedicated to making world class luxury performance cars when the American driver is so radically different from the European driver.

Europe has a larger share of "driving enthusiasts" and roads suitable for fun driving than America. America has a far more utilitarian road network, built for the purpose of getting from
point A to point B in the shortest time via the straightest path. And our average American drivers see their cars as transportation FAR more often than they seem them as a recreational item.
In no small part because we don't have very many fun roads to drive on like in Europe.

We who care about performance, power, and handling are NOT the majority segment of the American driving population. Far from it. We're a niche market.

I'm just happy that we have some manufacturers that cater to it, Cadillac being the leader in it. Which 15 years ago would have sounded like a fantasy out of a delusional mind.
Back then, the words "Cadillac" and "performance" and "handling" were words that were never used together in the same sentence.

#11 ·
This is very interesting to say the least. I will reserve judgement until after the auto eight is reviewed, but it has be a stout unit. With head room, it must be at least 500 ft lb rated. This car will be a tuners dream if they over built it. My goodness. I still prefer a manual option. I hope but doubt the ATS Vsport will have one.

#14 ·
angelbones said:
So this generation is supposed to compete with the BMW 5 series right? Well I hate to say it, but Bimmer is doing a good job at advertising their 5 series twin turbo 6-cylinder that gets 34 mpg. Will the new CTS get that and in a TT V6? I hope so, but I'm dubious.
Honestly , does anyone buying a 400hp high performance car really give a rats rear end what the mpg is !? No

#15 ·
As Cadillac enthusiasts, we are going to be biased. The point I was making about the mpg is that when buyers are comparing, if they see 25/34 for a BMW and 18/27 for a Cadillac, even those looking for performance would ALSO want better mileage. Additionally, don't get me wrong, the reason I didn't buy a BMW is because I think they are mostly boring compared to my coupe, so I, like most of you, don't need to be sold on Cadillac, the general public does need to be sold though, and mpg could be a tipping point.

#21 ·
These high MPG ratings are achieved by driving 45 mph (Cadillac's words)....can't imagine anyone buying this car with the TT 6 and worrying about far fetched ratings....don't forget, the EPA let the companies run the tests themselves, hoping they will follow their protocols.....right....why bother?....stick with the 2.0T then....

#23 ·
carter's_sts said:
I don't know, Bimmers are pretty dang nice, but too much money for one that isn't tiny. And Caddys are a way better value on the used market

I sure find some Bimmers and MBs tempting though.
There time is now up. Nice yes but the new Cadillacs are stunning all around and IMHO Cadillac has restored it's image as the " must have" cars for those in the high end car market. Wonderful comeback and proving yet again never count an American company out !

#26 ·
Price ? Re: 2014 CTS VSPORT Announced

Based primarily on the current difference between competing Cadillac and BMW at the next higher level, I do expect the Vsport to be substantially less expensive than a comparably equipped BMW 550i. The current CTS-v starts at about $65K. The M5 starts at closer to $90K.

My GUESS is that a Vsport will be priced in the $55K zip code. The 550i with M Sport and dynamic dampers [ to bring it as close as possible to match the published Vsport equipment ] currently lists for about $67K.

- Ray
Hoping it is no MORE than $55K . .

#28 ·
JimmyH said:
Cadillacs are amazing now. But they are priced that way too now. I loved my first gen CTS, but they have priced me out.
That was the goal from day one of Cadillac come back. Get back in the game and keep moving up price points fir obvious reasons. That said. Cadillacs still give much more car for far less then the Germans.

#30 ·
BMW has lost their way on high performance. The new M5 is fast but provides a disconnected driving experience with simulated engine noise piped into the cabin. I still have my E39 M5 whose four-cam V8 with 8 velocity stacks sound wonderful and drives great with 70k miles. I've now added a CTS-V Wagon with a M6 and recaros to my garage, and I have to say, aside from the somewhat light steering, it is pretty much flawless, and with only 150 miles on the clock, I haven't even had it over 4000 RPMs. It flat out hauls...and those brakes. They are incredible. Thank you Bob Lutz!

#31 ·
CaddyFanFL said:
That's true on an MSRP-basis. But a decent leasing-program on the upcoming CTS will be crucial. In the end, it won't help Cadillac much if their MSRP is $10k lower but the monthly payment on a lease $200 higher compared to a bimmer.
That's true but that residual is ultimately controlled by market demand. Hence, more Americans start buying Cadillac over other brands that will increase resale value which should finally allow Caddys to lease out strongly

#34 ·
I'd be interested in the compromise between having all the performance of THE V and the better mileage of the Vsport. But given the Vsport will likely cost more than a used 12 (or maybe 13 by the time they actually hit the streets), and the concern over buying a first model year vehicle, which is likley to need a few tweaks before they get it dialed in, I'll stick to looking for a used V.

Since the Vsport has closed the gap between the base CTS & the V2, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for the V3!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.